Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2014, 07:17 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times

Advertisements

Oh, I didn't know Maeve Binchy had passed away.

I'm not at all a fan of the romance genre either but she managed to transcend it. I will look for more of her books; an easy, enjoyable read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 AM

608 posts, read 482,107 times
Finished Forrest Gump couple days ago,went through about 4 books that just didn't capture my attention and am now reading Conspiracy Against Freedom. Its about Liberty Lobby's battle against the ADL obviously its a pretty rare book picked it up for 1$ at a thrift store.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I have just started "Unfinished Desires " By Gail Godwin so far Im liking it ...someone reccomended Gail Godwin to me so I may have found a new author to me that I like ..Then it will be onto Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh and if that name sounds familiar it is because she wrote MRs. Kimble which I loved of course , but some of you did not . Oh well back to reading . I can read easier now since I broke down and got me some prescription bi focals from the dr ...I know I should have done this long ago but hey I did not like the idea . Getting glasses makes me feel old .

Old 02-15-2014, 02:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Now listening to Lee Child's "The Affair."

Old 02-15-2014, 10:45 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,372,574 times
Just finished Dr Sleep by Stephen King and can highly recommend it. I haven't read much King lately as I don't like much of his recent stuff, but I think this book is one of the best of his I have read.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
David Guterson's "Snow Falling on Cedars" is a beautifully-written book. It's an extra delight, after seeing a movie, to then redouble the enjoyment by reading such wonderful prose. I don't often read a book after I see the picture -- maybe I should.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:10 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
David Guterson's "Snow Falling on Cedars" is a beautifully-written book. It's an extra delight, after seeing a movie, to then redouble the enjoyment by reading such wonderful prose. I don't often read a book after I see the picture -- maybe I should.
Read this book some years ago and I liked it a lot!

Old 02-17-2014, 01:19 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm currently more than halfway through In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker. It is a time travel book with a well thought out rationale for time travel. It's a Tor book originally but back in print/available as an e-book. I'm not sure how I came across it but I downloaded a sample. It took me about 20% to get into it and I know there are many fans of Diana (??) G-something (?) who writes those time travel in Scotland books that a lot of people like so much. I only ever read her very first one, but it seems to me that whoever likes her books would love the books by Kage Baker. In the Garden of Iden is the first in a series called The Company.

The writer (she? Is 'Kage' a she?) includes a lot of background history that I find appealing.

In the Garden of Iden (Company): Kage Baker: 9780765314574: Amazon.com: Books

Before that I read a science fiction book by Allen Steele, Labyrinth of Night. It's an older book that envisions finding ancient ruins on Mars. It isn't half bad. I think maybe a little more hard core science fiction and less focused on character development and I preferred his Coyote books.

Well, back to working outside. One more snowfall and I'm going to scream.
Thank you for sharing this. I will look it up right after replying
I just started rereading the Outlander series for the third or fourth time. Love it! I can't believe that it grips me again even though I've read it so often in the last years and even listened to the audio books once.
I can't wait for the series to be shown on TV. I'm mighty excited about how they put it on screen.

They did a really good job with the adaption of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
A Field Of Poppies by Sharon Sala. This one is a little different from her norm but I am giving it a try. Much lighter than normal but OK so far.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
The Girl Next Door by Jack Ketchum. It's based loosely on the 1965 murder of teenager Sylvia Likens in Indianapolis, but it's fiction, about Meg and Susan Loughlin, who've just lost their parents in a car accident in 1958 and are sent to live with their sadistic aunt Ruth. Ruth takes an instant dislike to Meg and verbally and physically abuses her and her sister, before locking her in the basement and starting a teenage torture chamber for herself, her kids and her neighborhood children, not unlike Gertrude Baniszewski did to Sylvia Likens in 1965.

The book is narrated in past-tense by the main character David, who was a neighbor of Ruth at the time and friends with her sons. He has become friends with Meg and though is younger than her, is smitten by her enough to try to help her but it unfortunately doesn't happen fast enough. Unlike Sylvia Likens, who died alone, Meg Loughlin dies with her sister and David nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books