Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,858,810 times

Advertisements

Elvis is dead and I'm not feeling too good myself - Lewis Grizzard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 11:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Elvis is dead and I'm not feeling too good myself - Lewis Grizzard
Love Lewis Grizzard! I heard on the news the other night that it was the 20th anniversary of his death. It didn't seem that long...

Old 03-28-2014, 03:48 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I am only 20% in - I read the sample on my Kindle while waiting for a KFC take-out order yesterday - a supposed ten minute wait that turned into 40 minutes. So after I read the sample, I bought it. After all, I had plenty of time although I didn't know that at the time.

It's about a man who receives a letter in the mail from a co-worker who informs him that she has cancer. He goes to mail a generic I'm-so-sorry-to-hear-that letter to her but instead he ends up walking. I think part of what drew me in is that when I lost people close to me, I felt like walking and never stopping. A few years after that I read some rock star's bio (Dawnie?, think he was from Montreal - Nick somebody?), whose son died and then his wife committed suicide and he went on a motorcycle trip all over the place. And anyway, he had spoken to a psychologist or a psychiatrist who told him that the urge to just move is not uncommon among people who grieve.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unlikely-P...+of+harold+fry

Old 03-28-2014, 03:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. I am only 20% in - I read the sample on my Kindle while waiting for a KFC take-out order yesterday - a supposed ten minute wait that turned into 40 minutes. So after I read the sample, I bought it. After all, I had plenty of time although I didn't know that at the time.

It's about a man who receives a letter in the mail from a co-worker who informs him that she has cancer. He goes to mail a generic I'm-so-sorry-to-hear-that letter to her but instead he ends up walking. I think part of what drew me in is that when I lost people close to me, I felt like walking and never stopping. A few years after that I read some rock star's bio (Dawnie?, think he was from Montreal - Nick somebody?), whose son died and then his wife committed suicide and he went on a motorcycle trip all over the place. And anyway, he had spoken to a psychologist or a psychiatrist who told him that the urge to just move is not uncommon among people who grieve.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unlikely-P...+of+harold+fry
1. I never would have thought that you'd like the Harold Fry book. I started it and -- just like always with stories that could never happen in real life -- I thought, "This is too unlikely. Too far-fetched. Too, too, too. Not for me."

2. I have no idea who that person is! But now I want to know! And I want to read his bio. I googled and googled and googled... and still came up with nothing.

3. How is it that I know -- I just know -- when you've posted here, specifically talking to me? And then I show up a little while later, drawn here by... something. Ties that bind, sweets.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
1. I never would have thought that you'd like the Harold Fry book. I started it and -- just like always with stories that could never happen in real life -- I thought, "This is too unlikely. Too far-fetched. Too, too, too. Not for me."

2. I have no idea who that person is! But now I want to know! And I want to read his bio. I googled and googled and googled... and still came up with nothing.

3. How is it that I know -- I just know -- when you've posted here, specifically talking to me? And then I show up a little while later, drawn here by... something. Ties that bind, sweets.
I found it - Neil Peart - Ghost Rider. http://www.amazon.ca/Ghost-Rider-Tra...rds=neil+peart

I knew it was an "N" something.

How funny. When I started The Unlikely Pilgrimage, I thought it would be up your alley.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:32 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Has anyone read the book the cradle ? it seems like a good book but Im sure not liking the other ones I got ..blah and more blah .

Old 03-28-2014, 05:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry: A Novel: Rachel Joyce: 9780812983456: Amazon.com: Books
I was on the hold list at the library for this one per my sissy' s recommendation. It was during one of my funks where I just could not find the right book. Maybe I should read the sample sometime and decide what I think now.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:02 PM

First of all, I wasn't crazy about Ghost Rider - aside from that little pearl of wisdom about how people who go through a grieving process seem to have a need to move, it didn't really do much for me.

But secondly, the 'voice' of The Unlikely Pilgrimage reminded me very much of Larry's Party by Carol Shields. Obviously I don't know how this book is going to end since I'm not far into it, but the characters seem to be the same sort of mildly unhappy middle-aged men who don't feel they have much to show for their lives. But I like the details of ordinary lives.

http://www.amazon.com/Larrys-Party-C...=carol+shields

ETA: And speaking of Carol Shields, who lived in Winnipeg for many, many years, I can't remember if I read The Stone Diaries. When I was looking for the title of Larry's Party, I read the summary of The Stone Diaries, and it doesn't ring a single bell for me and I could have sworn I had read everything by her. Maybe I'll download the sample and see if anything seems familiar.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Finished A Summer to Die and loved it. Went to the library and got The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson and Autumn Street by Lois Lowry. Of course an ebook from the library became mine today, so I am starting with that one, The Bear by Claire Cameron. Dawn would not like it. First person who is 5.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
I found it - Neil Peart - Ghost Rider. http://www.amazon.ca/Ghost-Rider-Tra...rds=neil+peart

I knew it was an "N" something.

How funny. When I started The Unlikely Pilgrimage, I thought it would be up your alley.
I *LOVE* Neil Peart. Best drummer in the world. Played with Rush and seemed to be a super-nice guy. He's from a town near Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books