Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

Miss read village diary was excellent however my library does not carry the entire series so Im S.O. L . there so I guess I will pick it up when I can . thanks mayvene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:31 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Started 'I Shall Wear Midnight' yesterday, by Terry Pratchett.
Thoroughly enjoying it.
Tiffany Aching and the Feegles just crack me up.

There is a passage in the 2nd or 3rd chapter about duck bottoms that almost rolled me out of bed

Old 08-12-2014, 10:43 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Started 'I Shall Wear Midnight' yesterday, by Terry Pratchett.
Thoroughly enjoying it.
Tiffany Aching and the Feegles just crack me up.

There is a passage in the 2nd or 3rd chapter about duck bottoms that almost rolled me out of bed
I always love Terry Pratchett books!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2014, 03:37 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
I went to the library today, and got:

What Happened to My Sister by Elizabeth Flock. This is the sequel to Me & Emma, which looks like a sweet, simple book, but, there's an incredible twist at the end. If you ever read it, don't read the reviews because they have spoilers in them. I cannot wait to read this. I just recently found out there was a sequel.

Day After Night by Anita Diamant. I love this author. She also wrote The Last Days of Dogtown, which was incredible.

Truth & Beauty by Ann Patchett. Of course she's written a lot of good books, including one of my favorites, Bel Canto.

Once Upon A Day by Lisa Tucker, who also wrote The Song Reader, which was much better than I thought it would be.

Old 08-12-2014, 05:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
I came across a book today. I don't have it yet but I asked my library to get it based on its reviews. Has anyone here read The Brothers K by David James Duncan? (No, it's not the Dostoyevsky book, The Brothers Karamazov.) What did you think of it?

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-12-2014 at 05:55 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 08:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
1. I finished Byrd by Kim Church. It was a sweet book. I enjoyed the writing, the pace, the story.

2. Next up is All I Know and Love by Judith Frank:

Quote:
Told with the storytelling power and emotional fidelity of Wally Lamb, this is a searing drama of a modern American family on the brink of dissolution, one that explores adoption, gay marriage, and love lost and found.

For years, Matthew Greene and Daniel Rosen have enjoyed a quiet domestic life together in Northampton, Massachusetts. Opposites in many ways, they have grown together and made their relationship work. But when they learn that Daniel’s twin brother and sister-in-law have been killed in a bombing in Jerusalem, their lives are suddenly, utterly transformed.

In dealing with their families and the need to make a decision about who will raise the deceased couple’s two children, both Matthew and Daniel are confronted with challenges that strike at the very heart of their relationship. What is Matthew’s place in an extended family that does not completely accept him or the commitment he and Daniel have made? How do Daniel’s questions about his identity as a Jewish man affect his life as a gay American? Tensions only intensify when they learn that the deceased parents wanted Matthew and Daniel to adopt the children—six-year-old Gal, and baby Noam.

The impact this instant new family has on Matthew, Daniel, and their relationship is subtle and heartbreaking, yet not without glimmers of hope. They must learn to reinvent and redefine their bond in profound, sometimes painful ways. What kind of parents can these two men really be? How does a family become strong enough to stay together and endure? And are there limits to honesty or commitment—or love?
3. I came across a book today. I don't have it yet but I asked my library to get it based on its reviews. Has anyone here read The Brothers K by David James Duncan? (No, it's not the Dostoyevsky book, The Brothers Karamazov.) What did you think of it?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
A few recent reads:

Rachel Kushner's "The Flamethrower". I loved several brilliant chapters, but there too many that were not brilliant. Looking forward to "Telex from Cuba", which got better reviews.

J M Coetzee's "Summertime". He is way past his prime, terrible book, little to say, and he bailed out on saying it well. But I'll still go back and read his earlier books.

Frank McCourt's "'Tis". Blunt and stylish train-of-thought memoir, better than I had expected it to be. I doubt if I'd read "Angela's Ashes" now, expecting it to be just more of the same.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,519,241 times
I am currently next going to be reading A Game of Thrones and then watching the tv series. That might be interesting.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Looking forward to "Telex from Cuba", which got better reviews.
That's an excellent book, IMO. I didn't know what to expect and was pleasantly surprised throughout the entire book because I had a hard time putting it down. I hope you like it as much as I did.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,843,617 times
I finished Sand Dance: By Camel Across Arabia's Great Southern Desert by Bruce Kirkby,and it was great!
I love reading about different cultures,especially of the experiences of someone new to a different culture as is the case when these three Canadian men decide to retrace an historic route across the Arabian desert as it was done 50 years earlier by an adventurer with camels,instead of the now used 4-wheel drive vehicles.

I have also always been curious about camels,their temperament and what it would be like to work with them,and this book has much information about the six camels used and camels in general.

The vivid descriptions really put me in the scene,and I enjoyed the humor,as well.

Highly recommended for those who would enjoy a 'nonfiction' Indiana Jones type story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books