Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 07:16 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times

Advertisements

I was reading Jim Butcher's newest series, Cinder Spires. As I normally like his writing (although I gave up on his Dresden series about 2-3 books ago), I found it to be a huge disappointment and stopped about halfway through. It feels like an attempt to write YA lit with too-old-for-genre characters. Very cardboard. He can do so much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 08:17 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,366,573 times
"So You've Been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson (2015).
I enjoyed another of his books, The Psychopath Test, and this one is thought-provoking as well.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Finished~The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery
Nice fun read. Enjoyed seeing the heroine get a backbone and become true to herself.

Ted Bundy: Conversations with a Killer by Stephen G. Michaud, Hugh Aynesworth
Another book that is a total waste of time. Bundy is a lying manipulator who gets a kick out of yanking these author's chains! Moderator cut: TMI for some posters
No more real insight here than in Ann Rule's book.
I doubt if any book or anyone can really know why such a monster becomes capable of such inhumanity, what causes such depravity.

Not sure what to start next, maybe~ Dr. Mary's Monkey: How the Unsolved Murder of a Doctor, a Secret Laboratory in New Orleans and Cancer-Causing Monkey Viruses are Linked to Lee Harvey Oswald, the JFK Assassination and Emerging Global Epidemics
by Edward T. Haslam, Jim Marrs

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-25-2015 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: some other posters are offended by the graphic description

Old 10-25-2015, 07:07 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
TMI, Autumn -- really.

I gave up on the Bone Trilogy halfway through the first book. I am just not into bodice ripping and writhing bodies. That's okay though because Peter Straub's "Shadowland" came available for pickup yesterday and the library opens at noon. Meanwhile I have knitting to do!

Old 10-25-2015, 03:21 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
TMI, Autumn -- really.

I gave up on the Bone Trilogy halfway through the first book. I am just not into bodice ripping and writhing bodies. That's okay though because Peter Straub's "Shadowland" came available for pickup yesterday and the library opens at noon. Meanwhile I have knitting to do!
OOOPS sorry, you're so right I shouldn't have included that info about Bundy!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
OOOPS sorry, you're so right I shouldn't have included that info about Bundy!
I still love you, but please -- no more.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I finished Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. Meh. *shrug*

Old 10-25-2015, 08:23 PM

4,795 posts, read 2,797,347 times
Default A man for all seasons

David Poyer - who has several series - one on the Civil War @ sea, one of US Navy technothrillers & the career of the central officer (well-regarded in the Navy) (these 2 with recurring characters), Hemlock Co. novels, some SF, some unrelated novels. He's very engaging on naval military, lots of detail. In the technothrillers, his characters have served in most of the World's hot spots.

Poyer is retired career military, teaching still - creative writing. I read the techno & Civil War series, I might look up the SF, just for grins. & to see if the writing carries over well.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:03 PM

I tried to get into Peter Straub's "Shadowland" but several (short) chapters into it and I realized we were just not made for one another and we are finalizing our separation. It's back to "The Ghost of the Mary Celeste" for me. The ghost part has been fairly obscure so far, but I am still enjoying the story.

Is Dawn back again? Or gone again. Are we going to have to write a book "Gone Dawn"?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:40 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm leaving on vacation on Tuesday (YAY!!!). I'll be gone for two weeks and I hope to learn that, in fact, I *do* like reading on the beach. (That hasn't been the case before, but I'm always optimistic.) I'm bringing along Did You Ever Have a Family (thanks, Pinetreelover, for that rec.), The Splendid Things We Planned, The Center of Winter, and Between Gods. Yup, there's that optimism again. No, I know I won't read *all* of them, but I never learned how to pack lightly. (I'm kidding. They're on my Kindle.)
Dawn,

I hope you enjoy Did you Ever Have a Family - the way the story is told is as interesting as the story. We'll talk later.

I heard a random snippet of an interview with the author of Between Gods and she sounded engaging and the book sounded like it is worth a go. Keep us posted though I might get it this week if the book I have with me turns out to be a dud.

I just finished Run by Ann Patchett. Definitely NOT her best work. In fact, aside from a handful of really beautiful/clever/talented phrases, it was pretty much of a slog.

Enjoy your vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books