Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 03:22 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,295 times

Advertisements

e. e Cummings book of poems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 04:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
I needed something for a brainless break, so I picked up the last graphic novel left in my stack. McGuire's "Here" is amazing. It's many stories of all times in one location. I recommend it.

Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
I started reading John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee detective series in order--on Open Library--Nightmare in Pink has not been available since I started a few days ago--starting "A Deadly Shade of Gold"
I think most of them have an Ebook--I can't do Daisy format w/my iPad/Kindle so I hope they are all there
I love the books but don't want to spend all that money to buy Kindle versions--

Interesting how so much of McGee/MacDonald's musing about the quality of life and the progression of the future from the 60s when the McGee series begin ring true--certainly about FL but about the world in general.
Other societal insights like "butch" women (in "The Quick Red Fox") come across as more dated and insular...
The imagery of McGee as a weatherbeaten Don Quixiote also seems more overt and attention-justifying than when I read them the first 2-3 times...
Will see how the others hold up...

Last edited by loves2read; 09-22-2017 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-23-2017, 12:10 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
I couldn't resist any longer. Even though my TR pile on my shelf is not that much smaller than a few weeks ago I've ordered a few used books for very good prices. So now I'm waiting for:

Annihilation - Jeff Vandermeer > hope to receive and start it today!

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Graham Smith > don't ask me why but it sounded absurd so I had to have it.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce

The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion

Goodbye Stranger - Rebecca Staed

The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

A few were mentioned here, all are from my TBR list. It's good the cold time of the year is around the corner. I will spend lots of time on my sofa or in bed and read read read
Looks like you will be busy. Enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Miguel's Mom--- my TBR virtual pile is ever growing and I spend way too much time with the laptop on my lap but---- for the record I loved Harold Fry and I loved even more the companion book The Lovesong of Miss Queenie Hennesy. It was one of the best books I have ever read.

I finally read the Rosie Project and it was cute and enjoyable but not more.
Now I will go back to browsing the web. and not read the actual book /kindle I am working on and wonder why it's taking me weeks to read a good simple book.
I liked Harold Fry and though The Rosie Project was cute. I think sometimes it is a phase/mode we get into. Sometimes we just need to read certain kinds of books.

Ha, ha...I have 2 books that I am reading but I still browse book reviews to add more to my list

Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I bought that in my kindle last December

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxgrrl View Post
Yes! That's it! Thank you so much!
It's $1.99 on Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished "I Know A Secret" by Tess Gerritsen. I didn't think much of it and wonder why I read it, let alone finished it.

Now onto "Red Rising" (Red Rising Saga #1) by Pierce Brown. It's a selection from a list of sci-fi recommedatons that were included on our library's "Ten to Try" challenge. We are supposed to read a STEM book (science, technology, something, something).
Waiting to hear what you think of Red Rising. I have had that on my list for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I needed something for a brainless break, so I picked up the last graphic novel left in my stack. McGuire's "Here" is amazing. It's many stories of all times in one location. I recommend it.
Thanks. I'll check it.

I finished All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner. Eh....it was just so so for me. The main character, Allison has a pretty decent life but she can't cope with her and her family problems she turns to pain killers. She becomes addicted and ends up in rehab.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-all-fall-down

Last night I started a book that I won quite some time ago The Girl from the Paradise Ballroom by Alison Love. I'm not far enough along yet so I'll keep you posted. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

I also picked up two new ones for me from the library. The Orphan's Tale and also the 2nd book in the Six of Crows series, Crooked Kingdom,https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...om_search=true

Old 09-23-2017, 12:22 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

If you haven't already read it, read this. It's still $1.99 on Amazon and it's gorgeous. The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs. https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Hour-M...rds=nina+riggs
Thanks I ordered that.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:18 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
... Waiting to hear what you think of Red Rising. I have had that on my list for a long time.
You know, if I'd read this question last night I would've said "don't bother." At present, I am hooked. I'm only almost 20% into it, but it just got very interesting. If it stays that way it could be quite a story.

Probably I should say that I am not a sci-fi reader. I gave it a whirl decades ago (Dune series, mainly), so I didn't go into this one with rosy expectations, but it is part of a challenge so I figured "what the hell, why not?"

I'll let you know when I (hopefully) finish it.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Well I finished up David Edding's Elenium and Mallorean series. I don't have another fantasy author on my radar yet, so I ordered a few books in the Imager series by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. Two of those were transferred to my library and I've already finished one. I've order a third and hope it comes by Tuesday.

At this past Saturday's book sale to benefit our local library, a gentleman raved about George R. Stewart and told me Earth Abides is the best book that he had ever read. He told me the background plot. I was surprised when he returned two hours later and gave me the book to read. So Earth Abides is next on my list because I want to quickly finish it and return the book to him.

In return, I recommended that he try Robert McCammon's Swan Song
Loved Swan Song. Have you read Boy’s Life? I adored that book and keep thinking that some day I will read it again but my TR list keeps getting longer and I have it in hardback but my eyes just don’t cooperate. I need to read an e-book for me to be able to see clearly enough.

Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 PM

496 posts, read 395,417 times
I had The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry on my Kindle for quite some time and decided to read it. I liked it enough to read the next two books in The Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series and enjoyed them as well. I will read more in the series at some point. They were a nice diversion from all the craziness in our world.

Next I read Jane Smiley’s Some Luck and got hooked so read the other two books in the trilogy. I enjoyed the first two very much but by the third I was getting a bit weary of it all. I had a difficult time keeping the characters straight and had to keep reminding myself who the characters were and how they were related to one another but that is the fault of my aging brain and no reflection on the author.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:25 AM

556 posts, read 788,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
Loved Swan Song. Have you read Boy’s Life? I adored that book and keep thinking that some day I will read it again but my TR list keeps getting longer and I have it in hardback but my eyes just don’t cooperate. I need to read an e-book for me to be able to see clearly enough.
I read both of those last century and loved them.

Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

by Boris Pasternak
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books