Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hi Clara... I enjoyed this book and went to find my post about it. Something in that post will be of interest to you, even thought you're already halfway through.

Here's my post:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/29554333-post9159.html
Thanks! I actually sat and finished the whole book. I loved it!

Along with the theme of Loss, there's also the theme of making the best of things.

I've currently got checked out from the library Lawn Boy and This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance by the same author. I started both and they didn't grab me the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 02:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've currently got checked out from the library Lawn Boy and This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance by the same author. I started both and they didn't grab me the same way.
Same, same. That's often the case, I find, when the first book that you read by someone is their hit. Or at least the one that hit home for you.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:50 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just finished The Radium Girls which was amazing. The writing was ok but really the story (true story non fiction) was amazing and I still can't get over it.
Going to try the Curious Charms of Arthur Pepper
next
I just finished "The Radium Girls "Sunday, and never even knew any of that story took place. Those women suffered unnecessarily. Thanks for the recommendation.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 PM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

I am now about to start Secrets of a Charmed Life and it looks like it's got some potential.
Its very good, I liked it enough to buy a few years back.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I just finished "The Radium Girls "Sunday, and never even knew any of that story took place. Those women suffered unnecessarily. Thanks for the recommendation.
That book came up on my Amazon suggested list.

It looks, though, like many books like that it would have been better served as a New York Times or National Geographic feature article and not a whole book.

Did the book hold together for the long haul, once you understood the premise?

Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Orchardist by Amanda Collin. It was recommended by many on here and it's really great so far.
Quoting myself for context. I thought The Orchardist took a strange nose-dive about 2/3 of the way in. The story became odd and implausible and the writing went from lovely and lyrical to sounding like a hurried first draft. It was perplexing. This is all just my opinion of course.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,854,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Same, same. That's often the case, I find, when the first book that you read by someone is their hit. Or at least the one that hit home for you.
Agree--not so much about the books you are referring to
But have had it happen with other books

Started a series by Nkki French--about Frieda Klein, a psychoanalysist who becomes involved in a kidnapping and then murder investigation in London. Blue Mondays was first book--
Second I read was about #4 in series--but on sale on Kindle Prime
Now hooked--reading #2 in series now
She is a compelling main character, although interesting that she is flawed and doesn't recognize that--
Just as many of her patients don't recognize theirs...

Old 11-07-2018, 11:56 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I'm in that mood where nothing I read is sticking, same with TV, audio books....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-07-2018, 12:18 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm in that mood where nothing I read is sticking, same with TV, audio books....

Me too! I want to read but when I try, my concentration wanes
and I have a lot of unread books, just waiting...

Old 11-07-2018, 12:38 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
Wintergirl I am so happy that we seem to have the same taste in books......guess I will now search out your recommendations!

Mikhala and greatblue- I think we've all been there done that. I am just so happy that lately I am having great luck with the recent crop of books.

I don't know what you normally like but I know I can recommend some here that I REALLY enjoyed.maybe give them a whril?

Saints for All Occasions

A Piece of the World

The Orphan Keeper
And maybe I should get a commission on suggesting:
The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books