Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2021, 05:21 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times

Advertisements

I finished Nomadland because I wanted to read it before watching the movie on Hulu. It was great and very thought provoking. It reminded me A LOT of Nickel & Dimed.

Now I'm finishing up The Assassination of Fred Hampton,which I had wanted to read before seeing the movie on HBO, but ended up starting it after I watched the movie. Oh gosh -- this book is SO GOOD. It's truly astounding and dismaying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2021, 12:23 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times

Old 03-13-2021, 04:58 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Just finished "Transcendent Kingdom" by Yaa Gyasi https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...endent-kingdom

This one fell short for me. I'm giving it 3 stars.

"Sorry for the mess, I said, but there was no mess. None that my eyes could see anyway, but my eyes were not hers. Every time she visited me over the years she'd sweep her finger along things it never occurred to me to clean, the backs of blinds, the hinges of doors, then present the dusty, blackened finger to me in accusation, and I could do nothing but shrug."

"I asked Katherine to lunch at the little Thai restaurant in the basement of the psychology building. I ordered from the brusque woman, who could sometimes make eating there fell like a punishment despite how good the food was, and wandered out to sit in the courtyard while I waited for Katherine to arrive. It was a sunny, beautiful day. The kind of day I often took for granted living in a place where the beauty of the school, of nature, seemed to come so effortlessly. This was in stark contrast to my time on the East Coast, where beauty was hard won, where every brilliant day had to be savored, the memories of them stored like acorns buried underground by industrious squirrels, just to get you through those punishing winters."

Old 03-13-2021, 12:55 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Into the geopolitical future

The new map : energy, climate, and the clash of nations / Daniel Yergin, c2020, Penguin Press, 333.79 YERG

Subjects
Energy policy.
Renewable energy sources.
Fossil fuels.
Climatic changes -- Economic aspects.
Geopolitics -- Economic aspects.

Notes
Introduction -- America's new map -- Russia's map -- China's map -- Maps of the Middle East -- Roadmap -- Climate map -- Conclusion: The disrupted future.

Summary
"Recent changes in the global production and flow of energy have remade the world. In this book, the author reveals the forces shaping the future of energy, both renewable and fossil fuel. The New Map offers a new vision of the world's energy reserves and, therefore, the future of geopolitics"-- Provided by publisher.

Length
xx, 492 pages, 32 unnumbered pages of plates : chapter notes, illustration credits, index

An excellent survey of who’s betting & what they’re betting in the energy world. Good primer.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:05 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I finished Nomadland because I wanted to read it before watching the movie on Hulu. It was great and very thought provoking. It reminded me A LOT of Nickel & Dimed.

Now I'm finishing up The Assassination of Fred Hampton,which I had wanted to read before seeing the movie on HBO, but ended up starting it after I watched the movie. Oh gosh -- this book is SO GOOD. It's truly astounding and dismaying.
I was looking for a book to read on Fred Hampton after watching the The Trial of the Chicago Seven which was excellent.

Old 03-13-2021, 04:23 PM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
"Midnight Library" by Matt Haig & also " Not my Fathers Son" by Alan Cummings. I am trying to read them both before the library wants them back ( non renewable ) Then at bedtime I am reading a generic murder tale off kindle unlimited.

Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,235,542 times
Bridgerton series books 1-3. Need to order the rest.

Old 03-14-2021, 06:34 PM

Old 03-14-2021, 07:39 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Yes that was me Firehorse suggesting Convenience Store Woman. I am not sure but I think on goodreads, it came up as a "if you liked this.... try this book" but not sure. Glad you liked it.

I just read The Moviegoer. I did a search on the forum here, and there were mentions several years ago that were not at all encouraging. I would have to agree. I am surprised that I was able to finish it. I kept waiting for something to make some sense. It was a real ramble - southern style ( Maybe that's why I stayed with it because I love southern chatter). It also won awards (for me, I find those award winners are often not my favorite reads.
I am reading a book on Creoles that was mentioned in the discussions about the Vanishing Half.. It really got me curious.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
A lot of what you may think you know about this time in history may be in need of updating. Excellent reading. I like this author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books