Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2022, 01:34 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

Advertisements

This marks the third book I've read by Sharon G.Flake. Her brilliance is her realness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2022, 04:12 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Shirley Wells' Deadly Shadows.

took a while to get into it but I'm rather liking it now.

Old 03-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I finished Such a Fun Age and thought it was ok but I had to really push myself at points. It wasn't a very big book so it worked. ( Had it been much bigger I probably wouldn't have finished). I gave it between 2 and 3 stars and am amazed at the very good ratings it has on goodreads. It was a very current book but it just seemed like the author was trying too hard to be really cool and savvy. It just didn't work for me.

I am going to start The Guncle next.
I had the same experience with Such a Fun Age. I stopped reading after a short while, and couldn't understand the positive ratings. It just seemed self-congratulatory, with the author appearing to create a character similar to herself, and then shallow people were just falling all over themselves in awe of her for no discernible reason. I do agree that the author was trying too hard to have others think she was cool and sassy. Kind of made me uncomfortable, the way seeing someone wearing a t-shirt that says "So Perfect It Hurts" makes you wince.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-04-2022 at 06:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 06:05 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Just finished "Whistling in the Dark" by Lesley Kagen. About two sisters in a small town, and an eventful summer. The book opens with a neighbor girl found molested and killed, and no one knows who did it, so there are dark themes, but there are parts that people who grew up in the 1960's will fondly remember.

Narrated through the eyes of 10 year old Sally O'Malley.

I loved it. If you like Calla Lily Ponder, and Swan from The Homecoming of Samuel Lake, and Junie B Jones, you'll like this girl too.

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-04-2022 at 07:02 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 09:07 PM

2,027 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I just finished "We Own the Sky," by Luke Allnutt.

I highly recommend it. The theme is sad and may be hard for some - childhood cancer - but i think the author wrote beautifully (it's fiction, though he did deal with cancer in his life) about it.

"Rob Coates feels like he’s won the lottery of life. There is Anna, his incredible wife, their London town house and, most precious of all, Jack, their son, who makes every day an extraordinary adventure. But when a devastating illness befalls his family, Rob’s world begins to unravel.

'We Own the Sky' is a tender, heartrending, but ultimately life-affirming novel that will resonate deeply with anyone who has suffered loss or experienced great love. With stunning eloquence and acumen, Luke Allnutt has penned a soaring debut and a true testament to the power of love, showing how even the most thoroughly broken heart can learn to beat again."

Also - i cry really easily, and have had a few big losses in the last year - and i didnt sob from this one. I did cry a bit. Just to let you know that i don't believe it's written in a purposely sad way - if that makes sense. I really liked the book.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:57 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I just started The House With a Clock in its Walls. I got in on kindle from the library, so not sure if it was Young Adult or Children's or Adult. It's so easy peasy getting ebooks from the library.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will update when I have an opinion on it.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:59 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
I just finished "We Own the Sky," by Luke Allnutt.

I highly recommend it. The theme is sad and may be hard for some - childhood cancer - but i think the author wrote beautifully (it's fiction, though he did deal with cancer in his life) about it.

"Rob Coates feels like he’s won the lottery of life. There is Anna, his incredible wife, their London town house and, most precious of all, Jack, their son, who makes every day an extraordinary adventure. But when a devastating illness befalls his family, Rob’s world begins to unravel.

'We Own the Sky' is a tender, heartrending, but ultimately life-affirming novel that will resonate deeply with anyone who has suffered loss or experienced great love. With stunning eloquence and acumen, Luke Allnutt has penned a soaring debut and a true testament to the power of love, showing how even the most thoroughly broken heart can learn to beat again."

Also - i cry really easily, and have had a few big losses in the last year - and i didnt sob from this one. I did cry a bit. Just to let you know that i don't believe it's written in a purposely sad way - if that makes sense. I really liked the book.
Thanks for the suggestion. I just ordered the book on Amazon for my father. He will get it next week and by the time I get to California in a few weeks he will have polished it off and then he can give it to me to read!

Old 03-08-2022, 05:04 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
"The Secret History" Donna Tartt. Love it so far, even though in the first 20 pages or so I had to look up alot of words I'd never heard of ....LOL

Old 03-10-2022, 05:46 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
After loving "My Brilliant Friend" by Elena Ferrante, I finally have gotten around to reading the next two in the series...

"The Story of a New Name" and "Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay" I loved them both and looking forward to the final one in the series "The Story of a Lost Child".

"She said she knew only the workers, men and women, in the factory where she worked, people from whom there was absolutely nothing to learn except wretchedness. Can you imagine, she asked, what it means to spend eight hours a day standing up to your waist in the mortadella cooking water? Can you imagine what it means to have your fingers covered with cuts from slicing the meat off animal bones? Can you imagine what it means to go in and out of refrigerated rooms at twenty degrees below zero, and get ten lire more an hour--ten lire--for cold compensation? If you imagine this, what do you think you can learn from people who are forced to live like that?"

"Become. It was a verb that had always obsessed me, but I realized it for the first time only in that situation. I wanted to become, even though I had never known what. And I had become, that was certain, but without an object, without a real passion, without a determined ambition. I had wanted to become something--here was the point--only because I was afraid that Lila would become someone and I would stay behind. My becoming was a becoming in her wake. I had to start again to become, but for myself, as an adult, outside of her."

Old 03-10-2022, 01:29 PM

560 posts, read 848,855 times
I'm currently reading a couple of books...

Hardback - it sits on the coffee table and I read it in the evenings since I don't want to lug it around. I backtracked a couple of books in the Outlander series and am re-reading An Echo in the Bone, I'll then go on to Written In My Own Heart's Blood before I start her latest Go Tell The Bee's That I Am Gone.

Kindle - The Last to Know by Jo Furniss. "A family’s past pursues them like a shadow in this riveting and emotional novel of psychological suspense by the Amazon Charts bestselling author of All the Little Children." I get a ton of Kindle Unlimited free books because I read so much and get through things pretty quickly. I also get library books on my Kindle.

Audio book - I have a 30-minute each way commute for work. I get all of my audio books from the library system through Overdrive. I'm currently listening to The Exorcist narrated by author William Peter Blatty. Suggested by someone in City-Data who said he does an excellent job, and he does!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books