Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2022, 01:27 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,433 times

Advertisements

Wow. I'm reading my second novel of Romance. FLARE UP. Shannon Stacey, 2019. I liked the situation being described by the author. She gives real life situation. I give her two thumbs up for being people oriented and knowing the ins and outs of what it takes to live in the city and if you're married or single. However real the situations may be, Shannon describe what the average American lives for and lust or admire about the single life of a man or women, Grant or Wren, and she takes those situations into detail of what a relationship is like. This was my whole view of what Shannon Stacey is good at. A firemen and his girlfriend, getting back together after months of laying off of each other and not seeing each other. Financial reason do exist between the two. Shannon Stacey is a good writer when she addresses a particular audience, like the night club goers, and explains to the reader in detail what is, and what is going down, that makes a relationship thriving and also a life that is fulfilled by being this couple. No other situation matters. This is how America is like. And Shannon Stacey plays her part well in telling what America is like in the fast lanes of Boston, Massachusetts. Rated 8 out of 10, 10 being an excellent book. So I grade this book an 8. Good job on Shannon Stacey. Would I buy more books like this? Maybe. If it's cheap and good reading like this was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 12:05 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 6 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,272 times

Old 02-02-2022, 06:47 AM

417 posts, read 455,244 times

Was it good?

Old 02-02-2022, 03:53 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Just finished Eric Larsen's Thunderstruck.
What did you think of it? Was this your first Eric Larsen book? I like his style of interweaving history and fiction, but know that it isn't for everybody.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:01 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Default Rigged: How the Media, Big Tech, and the Democrats Seized Our Elections by Mollie Ziegler Hemingway

I just finished Rigged: How the Media, Big Tech, and the Democrats Seized Our Elections by Mollie Ziegler Hemingway.The book is worth reading; to a point. I forget who recommended it. It illustrates the dictum in intro to Practicing History: Selected Essays by Barbara W. Tuchman, that it is hard to write good history close to the occurrence of events. It certainly was, and is.

I need to start out by saying that I voted for Trump in 2020 but not 2016. The book is about the bitterness of the Biden-Trump election of 2020. I agree with the fundamental premise that the political process and the election were poisoned by the savage attacks on Trump, both in the press and on the streets and ultimately in the health establishment, starting immediately after his startling victory in 2016. Trump did not play by the rules, or play nicely. In general that was a good thing. Trump did not need, in the process, to gratuitously insult so many people. Firings of personnel over Twitter are not in the Dale Carnegie school of How to Win Friends and Influence People. When you choose a leader, however, you are not choosing a drinking buddy. Also, to make an omelette you need to break some eggs. Challenging the shibboleths of the Establishment was worthwhile. This is not the POC thread so I can go no further with this analysis.

Where I believe that the author gets things wrong is by not laying the blame for at least some of the divisiveness on Trump. In my view and based on the content, if not the conclusions of the book is that he created the atmosphere where defeating him at any cost was an imperative. That effort started immediately with the effort to delegitimize his election and his Presidency. It moved on through the various investigations, to impeachment. Most seriously, it morphed into the weaponization of the Covid-19 pandemic. Put simply, enough officials throughout Federal, State and local bureaucracies hated him that they were willing to tank the gregarious, happy society we once knew before February 2020. I only hope we can get it back.

Old 02-03-2022, 05:06 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I finished reading The Midnight Library and thought it was really a good book, a good read, and will make for a good discussion with my book clubs.
I keep vowing to not add anything to my "want to read" list on goodreads, but I am not very successful with that. I am not sure what I will read next. I have lots on hold at the library , and even a few that I have downloaded on my kindle in reserve, so who knows.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:18 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,213,477 times
Tried reading Midnight by Victoria Shorr. I liked the 1st section about Jane Austen but the one about Shelley I found confusing. Maybe just me but the author would be discussing the relationship between Shelly and Byron. Then she'd say 'he' but too many times I couldn't tell if the 'he' was Byron or Shelley. So confusing I got frustrated and am now reading an old Hillerman Sacred Clowns.

Old 02-05-2022, 04:43 PM

39 posts, read 26,307 times
I'll see you again by Jackie Hance i have read completely
Im currently reading "The Hidden War" by Artyom Borovik
Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam
Pax by Sara Pennpacker

Old 02-06-2022, 12:15 AM

1,014 posts, read 479,433 times
I guess I'll finish up the first book I bought by Shannon Stacey. CONTROLLED BURN. BOSTON FIRE. New York Times Best selling author. copyright 2015. The other book of which I red, had a good ending. Wren ended up marrying Grant the firemen. He bought her a very expensive Diamond ring. And they have gone through a lot. I'd be R rated on my description so as not to offend any one. Shannon Stacey in the book describes Grant as having sex with Wren 3 times. And one oral sex where he comes into her. And she works two jobs at the salon, supermarket, and then lastly found another job at the local Kincaids pub when the mom and pop supermarket closed down because the owners were retiring. I'm finishing up the first book because I'd like to know how that rich girl from San Diego who drives a Lexus, ended up with another firemen. They had sex only once. So I'd like to know how Shannon Stacey writes about this couple in Boston, Massachusetts.

And the next book I think i'm going to read is by C.J. Box, Dark Sky. copyright 2021. I haven't read this author yet. But I've red parts of a book of his but he looks really good. It's about the governor in Wyoming who takes a hunting trip and runs into a little trouble with someone who dislike them in the woods. The whole plot centers around them being in the woods and running for their lives from a very bad person. That should do it for two books to read.

Last edited by tyCable; 02-06-2022 at 12:31 AM.. Reason: Added C.J. Box, Dark Sky

Old 02-06-2022, 02:26 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyCable View Post

And the next book I think i'm going to read is by C.J. Box, Dark Sky. copyright 2021. I haven't read this author yet. But I've red parts of a book of his but he looks really good. It's about the governor in Wyoming who takes a hunting trip and runs into a little trouble with someone who dislike them in the woods. The whole plot centers around them being in the woods and running for their lives from a very bad person. That should do it for two books to read.
Hope this won't be the only story you read by the multiple award winning C.J.Box.
Many of his devoted fans were turned off a bit because he injected politics into this one and ended it with more of a cliff hanger than usual. Most can be stand alones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books