Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2021, 06:22 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Every time I come here to read what people have recently read, more times than not, it's just book covers clogging up the boards with no background info, no review, nothing........so frustrating that this is being tolerated. It is one thing to show a small condensed cover ( which is not happening), but include some thoughts on the book.

I just started a book about an arctic expedition in the mid 1800's led by an all-women team, to find the missing husband for the woman who supposedly hired this female led expedition. Part mystery - Part court room drama.
I so agree. I don't always write the most thorough review of books, in fact I usually write very little but I do give my impression and whether I recommend it or not. I find that very helpful.
This format of posting images of the book cover with no review is a real turn off to me.

So -- I am now reading Sold on a Monday . I will likely finish in the next day or two. It's ( so far) a pretty good story, but a bit contrived, with touches of adoptions, poor rural folk, newspaper reporters, etc etc. I have read a few books on that topic, such as Before We Were Yours which was really good. I will update when I finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2021, 06:39 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I just finished How Lucky by Will Leitch. I was excited to read it because the main character has a chronic neuromuscular disease called SMA and is wheelchair dependent and can't speak. It has a bit of a Rear Window vibe to it as Daniel witnesses a kidnapping (not a spoiler). It was a quick read and I loved parts of it - Daniel is smart, funny, snarky and resilient, but the story itself was a bit of a wild ride (and not in a good way).

I finished the book feeling like I learned more about interacting with people with physical disabilities and appreciate the author's lack of sappiness in dealing with a main character who, oh by the way, is disabled.

Old 10-13-2021, 08:18 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I have read... Before We Were Yours which was really good.
I loved that book!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-we-were-yours

Old 10-13-2021, 08:46 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
I just got Amor Towles latest book, The Lincoln Highway, but I'm postponing starting it until I get a few work related things taken care of because it is 576 pages and I'm afraid I won't come up for air for several days! Towles wrote two of my other favorites, Rules of Civility and A Gentleman in Moscow.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:40 PM

1,483 posts, read 684,294 times
Currently reading "Killer Show" by John Barylick about The Station nightclub disaster and how local corruption, terrible 'business decisions', and unfortunate 'luck' led to 100 being incinerated and many more grievously injured/disabled for life.

A harsh lesson on fire science and safety... and the absurd 'joke' that is called Justice.

Old 10-13-2021, 03:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just got Amor Towles latest book, The Lincoln Highway, but I'm postponing starting it until I get a few work related things taken care of because it is 576 pages and I'm afraid I won't come up for air for several days! Towles wrote two of my other favorites, Rules of Civility and A Gentleman in Moscow.
Mine has been ready to borrow but I’m also postponing the loan. Towle’s others also high on my favorite’s list.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:01 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
and the name of your book is......?????
That sounds like The Arctic Fury.

Old 10-14-2021, 10:06 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 10 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,639 times

Old 10-14-2021, 10:56 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Every time I come here to read what people have recently read, more times than not, it's just book covers clogging up the boards with no background info, no review, nothing........so frustrating that this is being tolerated. It is one thing to show a small condensed cover ( which is not happening), but include some thoughts on the book.

I just started a book about an arctic expedition in the mid 1800's led by an all-women team, to find the missing husband for the woman who supposedly hired this female led expedition. Part mystery - Part court room drama.
Title, please? That one sounds interesting.

I’m reading the new novel by T. Coraghressian Boyle: Talk To Me. Like his other novels, this one raises a lot of questions about ethics and humans’ relationships to the rest of the world outside of their bubbles. A chimpanzee used for language studies is one of the main characters.

I’ve never liked chimps or apes since being dragged to the “monkey house” at the zoo when I was young. The stench, nonstop loud noises, and overall atmosphere of hostility (from the caged side) and either revulsion or curiosity (from the free-roaming side) turned me off forever. Reading about what has happened when people kept chimps as pets only reinforces my own revulsion. The Boyle novel hits upon all these kinds of reactions, in a situation that could actually happen. It’s not fantasy.

RE: Having to scroll down screenfuls of nothing but big images of book covers, with no comment about the book other than something such as, “I liked this” or “Reading my [umpteenth] [author] book now”, I agree 100%. It is even worse than seeing “book reviews” that merely state “Loved it!” or “Did not want to finish it, it was so bad”, because the cover images take much more space and download time.

Please, if there is a book you want to comment on, then comment on it. Otherwise, it is nothing more than your personal online list of books read, formatted to waste space.

Old 10-15-2021, 04:38 AM

417 posts, read 455,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Title, please? That one sounds interesting.

tasy.

RE: Having to scroll down screenfuls of nothing but big images of book covers, with no comment about the book other than something such as, “I liked this” or “Reading my [umpteenth] [author] book now”, I agree 100%. It is even worse than seeing “book reviews” that merely state “Loved it!” or “Did not want to finish it, it was so bad”, because the cover images take much more space and download time.

Please, if there is a book you want to comment on, then comment on it. Otherwise, it is nothing more than your personal online list of books read, formatted to waste space.
I agree with this so much. Actually though I don't mind if people at least add I loved it or I hated it. At least I have some impression but just a bunch of book covers doesn't do anything at all.
I am happy to see more content the past few days that has some "meat".
I had stopped coming here as much. I don't add all that often but I do get lots of ideas for books to read and quite honestly, I mostly read on my kindle so the book cover is kind of meaningless to me.
When I do read hard copy books, I only get them from the library so I really only need the author name ( if fiction) and the title. The book design is really not necessary and unless it's really special, to me it's of little value. ( sorry to all the book cover artists and photographers).

Oops I guess I will add that I also read Before We Were Yours a few years ago and really liked it . Interesting historical fiction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books