Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2021, 05:25 AM

182 posts, read 104,522 times

Advertisements

The Watchman by Robert Crais. I'm quite enjoying the Elvis Cole series of books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 06:29 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salonva View Post
I agree with this so much. Actually though I don't mind if people at least add I loved it or I hated it. At least I have some impression but just a bunch of book covers doesn't do anything at all.
I am happy to see more content the past few days that has some "meat".
I had stopped coming here as much. I don't add all that often but I do get lots of ideas for books to read and quite honestly, I mostly read on my kindle so the book cover is kind of meaningless to me.
When I do read hard copy books, I only get them from the library so I really only need the author name ( if fiction) and the title. The book design is really not necessary and unless it's really special, to me it's of little value. ( sorry to all the book cover artists and photographers).

Oops I guess I will add that I also read Before We Were Yours a few years ago and really liked it . Interesting historical fiction.

Even though the cover doesn't show if a book is good, interesting, boring, etc. I do love a good book cover and, I admit, I have bought a few books just because I liked the cover

Old 10-15-2021, 08:54 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel's mom View Post
Even though the cover doesn't show if a book is good, interesting, boring, etc. I do love a good book cover and, I admit, I have bought a few books just because I liked the cover
Guilty as charged!!! I love well designed book covers and am always intrigued by the trends in cover design. A few years ago, hardbacks all started to have that soft, almost powdery paper cover with simple fonts and not much other design. Lately, I have noticed so many paperbacks with bright colors and bold, brush-stroke fonts for the title.

Old 10-16-2021, 09:51 AM

316 posts, read 303,925 times
I finished "A Day Like This" by Kelley McNeil, which I really enjoyed.

The story centers around artist and mom, Annie Beyers, who wakes up after a car accident and is told she never had a daughter. I kept looking for the sinister evil-doers, but

Spoiler
the story takes a turn into magical realism/the world of string theory/multiverse dimensions

which I certainly was not expecting. I always appreciate stories that have unexpected twists/outcomes.

Old 10-17-2021, 07:49 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,731,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I intended to read Bull by the Horns by Sheila Bair, former head of the FDIC, in tandem with Stress Test. Her and Geithner would have a fairly public spat over how to handle parts of the crises. I often found Bair to be savvy and knowledgeable about banking when I watched her in interviews. She once stated that she thought her biggest problem when she originally took the position was going to be whether Walmart should have a bank. That would end up being the least of her worries. Hopefully she writes with the same clarity with which she speaks, as it's now time read about her side of the story.

I finished reading Sheila Bair's Bull by the Horns: Fighting to Save Main Street from Wall Street and Wall Street from Itself (2012). Can confirm: Bair? Not a Timothy Geithner fan. She alludes to the fact that Geithner, in an attempt to ease fear in the markets during the initial phases of the crisis, essentially wanted blanket FDIC coverage - free of charge - for large banks and nonbank entities that wouldn't otherwise fall under the FDIC's coverage unless it was done under a "systemic risk" exception. Something had to be done, sure, but with her turf being community banking, she wasn't going to let that happen in perpetuity. Post-crisis, she sought to permanently end what she saw as the "ad hoc," too big to fail policies of the Treasury. One thing I was hoping to get more clarity on was that in Geithner's book, he noted that Bair's decision not to bail out commercial lender CIT cost taxpayers $2.3 billion. It is Bair's claim that CIT wasn't systemic and Treasury's funding to that institution under TARP was ill-advised in the first place. According to her, CIT's resolution went off without a hitch under existing FDIC rules, and no systemic damage was caused.

Of course, the beefs between those two weren't the only beefs she would have, as if often the case in policy discussions between governing agencies; she believes that many of the personal issues that came out in the media overshadowed much of her work: dealing with bank closures, fighting Basel II implementation, increasing capital requirements and making sure leverage ratios of small banks and large banks were the same to prevent big banks from having an advantage. She would also successfully push for provisions she wanted in Dodd-Frank, the financial reform bill. (Although, Geithner would be influential in stopping her idea of getting an assessment [not a tax] on large banks in Dodd-Frank, whereby banks would have to hold more in capital reserves depending on their leverage and risk.)

Also, I wasn't expecting to come across this, but at the end of the book where she is discussing possible reforms, she proposes taxing earned income and investment income at the same rate, something that is currently being considered under Biden's tax plan in 2021. Her reasoning is that closing that tax advantage would pull both money and talent away from the financial industry and help direct it back into the real economy; a labor versus investment approach, not rich versus poor.

tldr: Bull by the Horns is a mostly procedural read and contains a heavy dose of acronym soup, which is to be expected from a book by a former chairman of the FDIC. But can confirm: Free-R, still a Sheila Bair fan.

Extended tldr: enough policy for now, time to shuffle the mix.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:41 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
highly recommended, i'm about halfway through it.

reviews

Old 10-20-2021, 03:57 AM

3,836 posts, read 1,784,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
That sounds like The Arctic Fury.
Yes that is correct. Sorry I forgot to include the title.

The book I was reading about the 1850's Arctic expedition is called " The Arctic Fury " by Greer Macallister.

I liked that part of the novel was set in a cold terrain and the challenges that went along with it. The courtroom drama didn't seem accurate, but interesting. Overall it was okay 2 star.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:05 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
The Judge's List by John Grisham. Another winner!!!

Old 10-21-2021, 05:28 PM

708 posts, read 823,584 times

I am currently reading the KJV, Ministers Holy Bible but I was never into any of this sort of stuff previously. However, one day I quite by chance, came across this Amazon book called 'Unmasking God's Truth' by someone called Kirk Dales. The book was a spiritual take on everything going on currently and for some reason, when I finished reading it, I was compelled to start reading the Holy Bible and now read a little every day.

I recently noticed they have released 'Unmasking God's Truth' in audio book form as well and the mans voice is really well suited to it. It's a short read at about 60+ pages so great for people like me....but now I am reading a huge book so...

Old 10-22-2021, 05:27 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I just finished reading Button Man which was a surprisingly good read. Historical fiction based on the author's family. It was about an immigrant family in the 1900's, touching on unions, organized crime, garment industry, and of course, family dynamics.
Gets very good ratings on goodreads.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37638015-button-man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books