Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2023, 06:37 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times

Advertisements

I have just started "and the mountains echoed" by Khaled Hosseini.

I am not that far into it but am enjoying it so far.

I have also read his other two books,
"A Thousand Splendid Suns", and "The Kite Runner".

"A Thousand Splendid Suns" was one of my favorite books I think I have ever read.

It was something so outside my box, and something I thought I'd never be interested in, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2023, 07:41 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by Mark Haddon. It's a most unusual book -- both the first person writing and the protagonist, who is a 15-year-old...
One of my favorite books.

Haddon manages to bring us deep inside Christopher's mind and situates us comfortably within his limited, severely logical point of view, to the extent that we begin to question the common sense and the erratic emotionalism of the normal citizens who surround him, as well as our own intuitions and habits of perception.
https://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/15/b...f-the-dog.html

Old 05-15-2023, 04:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Chewing the Fat: An Oral History of Italian Foodways from Fascism to Dolce Vita by Karima Moyer-Nocchi is my current downstairs book.

My upstairs book is The Weedkiller's Daughter by Harriette Simpson Arnow.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:27 PM

927 posts, read 758,657 times
The best book I've ever read is The Magus by John Fowles. Don't skip ahead its important. The Woodstock book which is all anecdotes , can't put it down. The parts about the trust fund kid who put it on but didn't expect 250k people to show up are the best. I got in trouble for recommending this before but Charles Manson - Tex Watsons books are online and Paul Watkins book. Motley Crues book is another can't put it down. And of course And Then There Were None.

Old 05-16-2023, 06:52 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Indigenous Continent (Pekka Hamalainen. 2022)

Author basically sets out to write a more nuanced general history of Pan-American Indians. I guess he finds both the slanderous and hagiographic versions of Indian history to be a disservice to understanding. Just finished first 2 chapters, covering varying creation myths & the rise and cultural impact of growing corn.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:39 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
I just finished reading a book that requires massive amounts of anti-depressants to get thru: Broken, by Shy Keenan

Child abuse books are very challenging and depressing to read.

It's a total miracle she survived all that never-ending abuse from age 4 to age 14 and miraculous that, after 2 decades, she was able to put her pedophile Step-Father into prison finally.

Old 05-17-2023, 09:48 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
I am almost done with Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer. When it came out in 1969-70 (there was apparently an early release in Europe in October 1969, then release as translated in late August 1970) there was fawning press coverage about the "good Nazi." Speer got his start as Hitler's architect, and then progressed to be a director of armaments. Apparently the book's contents have become what is accepted history of the Third Reich. Unfortunately to some extent it humanizes Hitler, and throws a lot of blame on Goering and Bormann. These people were monsters, full stop.

Tomorrow, I will likely have a fuller review, with key excerpts quoted.

Old 05-18-2023, 05:13 AM

23,172 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Reading some books by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, the latest being Purple Hibiscus
I really enjoy reading about other countries, other cultures.
In cases like book, it shows how, generally speaking, poverty in the US may look like pretty damn good living as compared to some other societies.

Old 05-18-2023, 06:10 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I've just finished The Red Tent. It's another one that so many have read and somehow escaped me until now. It was quite different, and though a very interesting book, it was not an easy read in that there were so many names and characters and places. It's a historical fiction version of a blblical character. (Dinah, sister of Joseph, daughter of Leah).
I think it might be one to read again in a year or two as it was very good and I am certain that I missed some of it.
I still would give it 4 stars.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:04 PM

979 posts, read 537,988 times
I don't get much time to read lately. I am currently reading A New American Space Plan by Travis Taylor. I like the way he writes, has a way of quoting statistics in that doesn't put me to sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books