Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 04:18 AM

23,217 posts, read 29,026,930 times

Advertisements

I just finished up Rocket Man, a bio of Elton John by Mark Bego.

He was more of a shopaholic than Imelda Marcos. 10,000 pair of shoes, and thousand pairs of eyeglasses, a million CD's, a dozen luxury cars, he couldn't stop shopping.

He did marry once for 3 years and she walked away with a $45 million settlement plus a luxury car and house. Not bad pay for 3 years "work".

I have no idea how a rock star like Elton John can continually perform, year after year, given all the energy he puts into his performances.

Mark Bego is an awesome biographer and I just ordered 5 more books that he has written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 04:21 AM

829 posts, read 411,263 times
Finished The Rabbit Hutch by Tess Gunty https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...e-rabbit-hutch

This was a quirky read! This was a 4 star read for me.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:31 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,204,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
"The Autobiography of a Yogi", by Paramahansa Yogananda.
Classic!!! great story.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is good, too.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB4 View Post
Re-reading Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.
Into Thin Air was great, too. (Everest).

Old 06-16-2023, 11:05 AM

5,019 posts, read 7,221,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
On the recommendation of vaughanwilliams above, see What book are you reading, I just finished reading The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant. A real page-turner, no question.

While the title and the alleged subject is a man-eating Amur (Siberian) Tiger that was terrorizing a far Eastern village, the real subject is Russia, through the lens of this story. A personal note; much of my ancestry is from Czarist Russia, and what I read, both here and elsewhere, makes me glad that I'm here, not there. An excerpt that should not be a spoiler:

John Valliant skillfully uses three villagers as foils for the history and sociology of Russia. Two of these were killed by this tiger and one of whom had a major role in killing the tiger.

This book can be read on many levels, that of a nature lover, history buff or as a cultural study. Or all three levels. If the book were only about the tigers hunting villagers, and the tiger hunt,it would have merited about forty pages. The book was gripping and interesting all the way through. I highly recommend this book.

I'm glad you liked it! I agree that the tiger incident is a great story on it's own but what I really enjoyed was the Russian history in general and the Primorye Territory in particular. I didn't know anything about this area before reading the book and the descriptions of the flora and fauna, current and past living conditions, the interconnections between Russia, China and Korea were quite interesting. Primorye is far more than just a frozen wasteland.
You're right-living in Russia at any time must have been extremely tough and I'm also glad I'm here and not there.

Old 06-17-2023, 03:26 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,555,108 times
Twinkie, Deconstructed (Steve Ettinger)

A study of how & where a number of common preservatives and food additives are manufactured and originated from. I skipped a lot of chapters, because I didn't want to be grossed out, or become paranoid about what I eat.
I was mainly interested in chapters 6 & 7, regarding the rise of (high fructose) corn syrup. I believe that corn syrup bears a unique responsibility in America's obesity epidemic. And because corn is relatively cheap & domestic in America it has dislodged healthier sweeteners/sugars.

Old 06-17-2023, 07:13 PM

Just finished Wally Lamb's "I know This Much is True." 900 pages. A really well constructed story, at times difficult, at times funny, at times heartbreaking, and at the end, human - deeply human. I'd recommend this book. Even at 900 pages, it really holds my interest.

Old 06-18-2023, 08:28 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
My book club met last week and we chose "Snow in August" by Pete Hamill. Will review when I finish it.

Brooklyn, 1947. The war veterans have come home. Jackie Robinson is about to become a Dodger. And in one close-knit working-class neighborhood, an eleven-year-old Irish Catholic boy named Michael Devlin has just made friends with a lonely rabbi from Prague. Snow in August is the story of that unlikely friendship -- and of how the neighborhood reacts to it. For Michael, the rabbi opens a window to ancient learning and lore that rival anything in Captain Marvel. For the rabbi, Michael illuminates the everyday mysteries of America, including the strange language of baseball. But like their hero Jackie Robinson, neither can entirely escape from the swirling prejudices of the time. Terrorized by a local gang of anti-Semitic Irish toughs, Michael and the rabbi are caught in an escalating spiral of hate for which there's only one way out -- a miracle....

Old 06-19-2023, 06:28 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I did finish Shipping News but really did not care for it. It was ok, but as happens most of the time with me and Pulitzer winners, it was not for me.

I then tried Pale Fire for book club, and was optimistic about it. It is by Nabakov, and under 300 pages so I thought it would be a good one to try. I did try and it was just too hard for me to get into. I am usually able to plod along but this one was beyond me. I may try it again sometime, but it was too out there for me. I kept trying, read about 20 pages, kept trying to read something that would get me attached but no go.

For another book club, I read Take My Hand. It was surprisingly good and a very engrossing read. It is historical fiction , civil rights, Montgomery Alabama etc. It was very well done. I give it 4.5 stars.

I am now reading The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot
. This is just for me. I am only at the beginning but it is a very good read and I think I'll probably be really drawn into it.

I thought I remembered reading Snow in August but according to goodreads, I didn't. I have to look into that because it does sound so familiar.

Old 06-19-2023, 06:49 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

438 posts, read 195,880 times

I learned this book would be published around February or March 2023, I've craved this experience. Worth the wait!!! I am relishing this book. Anyone struggling with growth I encourage to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books