Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2023, 11:34 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

Just finishing up last year's summer beach reading, "The Mammoth Book of Horror" Volume Sixteen. Short stories edited by Stephen Jones.

Looking through the list on Amazon to see which ones I haven't read yet. Short stories are perfect for the beach and horror is safest to read in the sunshine while people are having a good time. Scare me - but not too much! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 03:51 AM

3,690 posts, read 2,411,133 times
"Believe in Yourself," an auto-biography by Lee Priest.

Old 05-29-2023, 11:50 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
With DeSantis officially becoming a 2024 candidate, I decided to pick up The Courage to be Free, basically DeSantis' political autobiography.

I'm about 75% thru.. not bad. Not especially visionary in philosophic concepts, but a good accounting of his political career (especially his governorship). And he does a good job recounting his decisions during COVID, and describing how his approach (skeptical of Faucism) practically distinguished Florida from most other large states.

Old 05-30-2023, 07:33 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,923 times
The Perfumist of Paris by Alka Joshi
Come With Me by Ronald Malfi
A Dark Matter by Peter Straub

Old 05-30-2023, 04:14 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

Old 05-30-2023, 10:25 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
I finished Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. It was a five-star read for me. Great writing, well-drawn characters and subtle humor. Imminently readable and I'm sorry it's over.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:05 AM

829 posts, read 411,855 times
Finished The Perfume Collector by Kathleen Tessaro https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...fume-collector

Just OK. This was a 3 star read for me.

Old 05-31-2023, 07:30 PM

35,058 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Default A Personal Odyssey by Thomas Sowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Sowell from A Personal Odyssey
One day, a man had a heart attack at around 5 PM, on the sidewalk outside the Public Health Service. He was taken inside to the nurse's room, where he was asked if he were a government employee. If he were, he would have been eligible to be taken to the medical facility there. Unfortunately, he was not, so a phone call was made to a local hospital to send an ambulance. By the time this ambulance made its way through miles of downtown Washington rush-hour traffic, the man was dead. He died waiting for a doctor, in a building full of doctors.

Nothing so dramatized for me the nature of a bureaucracy and its emphasis on procedures, rather than results.
I just finished reading A Personal Odyssey by Thomas Sowell.

As one can see from the above-quote, this is a gentleman who has no patience for convention or stupidity. This is an autobiography. What else can one say but that this man, and his autobiography, are exceptional? From dire rural poverty in North Carolina to the streets of ghetto New York, this man transformed himself from a (Stuyvesant) high school dropout to a Harvard and U. of Chicago Economics graduate. While hovering on the outskirts of public involvement, he has become a prolific author. His opinions are iconoclastic and unique, similar to an economist on the other side of the political spectrum, John Kenneth Galbraith.

A worthwhile, five-star read.

Old 06-01-2023, 06:39 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,223,411 times
"The Tiger-A True Story of Vengeance and Survival" by John Vaillant. Not only is the story line of the hunt for a man eating Siberian Tiger thrilling, but the detailed history of the people and wildlife of the Russian Far East was fascinating. Vaillant also goes into detail about everyday life in Russia after perestroika. Recommended.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:26 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
The Consuming Instinct (Gad Saad)

How innate qualities of human nature make us universally susceptible to certain product advertising/marketing etc.
I'm on page 60.. it's ok so far. Most of Saad's insights just seem like common sense tho, not breaking research revelations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books