Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2023, 07:22 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Just finished "The Sense of an Ending" by Julian Barnes. It's a short book that won the 2011 Man Booker prize. Barnes is a wonderful writer but I can't say I really enjoyed this book. It started slowly when dealing with the protagonist's youth and picked up later in the book when dealing with the same character in retirement. The ending was surprising and I felt a little cheated because it wasn't at all what I expected. I'd give it three stars for the writing alone.

Tony Webster thought he left his past behind as he built a life for himself, and his career has provided him with a secure retirement and an amicable relationship with his ex-wife and daughter, who now has a family of her own. But when he is presented with a mysterious legacy, he is forced to revise his estimation of his own nature and place in the world.
Quoting myself -- something I never do -- to say that I'm upping my rating of this book to 4 stars. I suspect it will take re-reading to fully understand its subtlety. A story of self-examination, settling, reflection and regrets, which on reflection, made me think about how I've lived my life. I now understand why it was awarded the Booker. Pretty masterful, and I'll read more of Barnes' books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 03:37 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Finally read The Shell Seekers.
It would have been a much better book if drastically shortened.
The author did not improve the story by listing every flower, bush and weed in every garden happened upon or what everybody was wearing every time they appeared.
Those types of descriptions were vastly overdone and made many parts totally skippable.
The story itself was not good enough to overcome this annoyance for 654 pages.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:47 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Finally read The Shell Seekers.
It would have been a much better book if drastically shortened.
The author did not improve the story by listing every flower, bush and weed in every garden happened upon or what everybody was wearing every time they appeared.
Those types of descriptions were vastly overdone and made many parts totally skippable.
The story itself was not good enough to overcome this annoyance for 654 pages.
Same problem with James Fenimore Cooper's Last of the Mohicans, which I read a chapter of about every other month.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:48 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
...The author did not improve the story by listing every flower, bush and weed in every garden happened upon or what everybody was wearing every time they appeared.
That's why I could never get through James Michener's Hawaii.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:23 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I tried reading Michener's Caribbean on my 1991 honeymoon to St. John, U.S.V.I. I am glad someone else feels likewise.

Old 04-27-2023, 08:33 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Do you enjoy reading about friendship, gardening/flowers, cooking, food, feminism, and good--and not-so-good martial relationships?? With a goodly pinch of mystery thrown into the mix??

Me, too.

That's why I LOVED the book I just finished last night--Recipe for a Perfect Wife--by Karma Brown. A novel.

I devoured it in big gulps.

Maybe you'd like it, too!

Old 04-27-2023, 09:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
I definitely get that.. I thought the 1966 movie version gives a good distillation of a couple chapters.
I read Michener's Chesapeake; there is a lot of detailed minutiae & background.. but a reader definitely gets their money's worth.

Old 04-27-2023, 09:59 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Quote:
I finished reading "Hawaii" while I was still in high school. I like it so much that I went on devouring Alex Haley's "Roots".

Old 04-27-2023, 10:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I am reading Tom Brokaw's The Greatest Generation 25 years after everyone else did. Took it from my mother's house after she died, and picked it off the shelf the other day.

Before that, I read two Harlan Coben novels. He's local to where I lived, but I never read any of his books. Very entertaining mysteries with a lot of twists.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:58 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
oh my! I too just finished The Shell Seekers. It took me a while to get around to it because of the length but I actually thought it was very well done. Yes there were lots of descriptives but I honestly was less bothered by it in this book than I usually am. I thought about it and wasn't really sure what could have been pared down. I thought it was beautifully written and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I rate it 4.5 stars. I will at some point read more by the author.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books