Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2023, 03:09 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times

Advertisements

I've been reading Filthy Rich Politicians by Matt K. Lewis. It's taught me that Congressmen do far more than point fingers at the 'other side' and attempt to blame them for everything. They also make profitable stock deals based on insider trading that would likely jail the average citizen as well as profit by buying stock in companies they know will benefit from pending legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 09:59 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I finished The Lincoln Highway and thought it was just beautiful. I had put it off for a while because although I wanted to read it, I thought it was going to be a bit more work. It was actually very easy read. The story and subject had much depth to them but it was really enticing. Each time I finished a chapter, I would want to read another. I also read and loved his Gentleman in Moscow...
I just started Armor Towles' The Lincoln Highway. What had put me off was its length (576 pages). I'm really enjoying it so far. I also loved A Gentleman in Moscow.

Old 11-10-2023, 12:11 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
I'm reading another Darwin Porter book, Pink Triangle, the lives of Truman Capote, Gore Vidal and Tennessee
Williams.

Old 11-11-2023, 01:31 PM

259 posts, read 9,392 times
The Last White Rose: A Novel of Elizabeth of York (Alison Weir)

Old 11-12-2023, 06:46 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Rain Gods by James Lee Burke. Just as good as all the rest of his books. what a wordsmith!!

Recently finished Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult. May not be everyone's cup of tea because it deals with the trans issue. Co-written by a trans person. As always with her books, it was incredibly well done, challenges certain perceptions one may have, and is engaging throughout. I recommend this one.

Old 11-12-2023, 11:15 AM

259 posts, read 9,392 times
If You Would Have Told Me: A Memoir (John Stamos)

Old 11-13-2023, 12:17 PM

1,385 posts, read 726,088 times
The Italian Girls, Debbie Rix

Old 11-13-2023, 12:45 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Default Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett

I just finished reading
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. Gripping it is not. I suppose it is one of the better of the "theater of the absurd" that became popular in the wake of WWI. Other examples include Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco, of which I'll add a review shortly. Though not my favorite genre, both are classics. Rhinocéros at least had hilarious moments, which are few and far between in Godot. The genre teaches something specific about the era. Memorable from the book is the quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
It is true that when with folded arms we weigh the pros and cons we are no less a credit to our species. The tiger bounds to the help of his congeners without the least reflexion, or else he slinks away into the depths of the thickets. But that is not the question. What are we doing here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear.We are waiting for Godot to come.
Could the bolded be a ripoff from Shakespeare? Whether and how Godot comes I will leave to your eager eyes. Suffice to say I find more value in life as a human than does Beckett.

Last edited by jbgusa; 11-13-2023 at 01:30 PM..

Old 11-13-2023, 02:19 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Default Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco

I read Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco back in 1973, when riding on a plane from Nassau to NYC. Given how long ago that was I have limited memory. From what I learned in high school English, it is one of the better of the "theater of the absurd" that became popular in the wake of WWI, in literature, music and painting. Not my favorite genre. I thought the line about a "unicorned rhinoceros" was hilarious.

Old 11-13-2023, 08:59 PM

3,695 posts, read 2,414,554 times
Friends, lovers and the Big Terrible thing," by Matthew Perry

The autobiography of Matthew Perry.

I just finished it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books