Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 07:37 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times

Advertisements

Song of Kali
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 10:10 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,941 times
I just started my December book club read -- "The Wrong End of the Telescope" by Rabih Alameddine -- and was a little apprehensive that it'd be a difficult book to get into. However, the writing is very good and the first 30 or so pages flew by.

Mina Simpson, a Lebanese doctor, arrives at the infamous Moria refugee camp on Lesbos, Greece, after being urgently summoned for help by her friend who runs an NGO there. Alienated from her family except for her beloved brother, Mina has avoided being so close to her homeland for decades. But with a week off work and apart from her wife of thirty years, Mina hopes to accomplish something meaningful, among the abundance of Western volunteers who pose for selfies with beached dinghies and the camp's children. Soon, a boat crosses bringing Sumaiya, a fiercely resolute Syrian matriarch with terminal liver cancer. Determined to protect her children and husband at all costs, Sumaiya refuses to alert her family to her diagnosis. Bonded together by Sumaiya's secret, a deep connection sparks between the two women, and as Mina prepares a course of treatment with the limited resources on hand, she confronts the circumstances of the migrants' displacement, as well as her own constraints in helping them.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:48 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
I'm looking for my next read. Rachel Hartman’s Tess of the Road looks interesting. Any readers out there?

Old 12-07-2023, 05:39 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,006,463 times
I'm reading four books at the same time.

- "Intuitive Eating" by Tribole & Resch. I read it for the first time some 11 years ago. I have it on Kindle. I find it very good for mindful eating, it has some good tips for eating in silence, paying attention, exercising for health not to lose weight etc. It's pretty good. It made me lose some some kilos 11 years ago very fast. These days reading from it, I decided to have all my meals in the kitchen at the table, in silence. No distractions.
- "Ancient Remedies" by Dr. Axe. This one I got recently, hard cover, new. It's very interesting, has old remedies from plants and teas, talks about Chinese medicine, it has recipes (keto). I love it, lots of information.
- "The Bulletproof Diet" by Asprey. I got this one from my public library, I'm reading it online. Not bad, about exercise and diet, the quality of foods, nutrients, what is toxic what not, supplements etc. Many things I didn't know.
- "The Plant Paradox" by Dr. Gundry. Hard cover, from the library. I just started it, not sure yet.

Old 12-07-2023, 05:48 PM

524 posts, read 152,473 times
Alternating between:

Collected Stories of William Faulkner

American Palestine: Melville, Twain, and the Holy Land Mania

Melville, Complete Poems

Chicago Stories, by George Ade, illustrated by John T. McCutcheon

Old 12-08-2023, 03:25 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,417,821 times
I read The Railway Children by E Nesbit. I had never heard of it although it is a real classic. It was very sweet, beautifully written and just overall a delight. It was published in 1906. I think there are more books in the series and there are movies of it as well, but I rarely appreciate movies. I might try for another book in the series. Fwiw, I read it from the library on kindle so that tells me that I am probably in the minority of not having heard of it until a few weeks ago.
Highly recommend, a very nice distraction and change from today.

Old 12-08-2023, 09:55 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
started The Last Ride of the Pony Express: My 2,000-mile Horseback Journey into the Old West
it works in a lot of historical facts i wasn't aware of.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:09 AM

3,734 posts, read 2,557,165 times
A City on Mars (Kelly and Zach Weinersmith)

A practical (& often pessimistic) analysis of theoretical human settlement on Mars. Husband and wife collaborate to address the misunderstandings surrounding colonizing Mars. Interesting insights and facts. Wife is the author, and husband provides the illustrations (which are typically cartoon style).

Old 12-08-2023, 11:33 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Finished My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...and-relaxation

This was a 3 star read for me.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
started The Last Ride of the Pony Express: My 2,000-mile Horseback Journey into the Old West
it works in a lot of historical facts i wasn't aware of.
That looks really good. Considering how short a time frame the US used the Pony Express mail delivery, it's remained a part of our consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books