Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2022, 06:04 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm reading A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley. It was in a lending cabinet at a beach house we were staying at. It was written in 1991 and is a Pulitzer Prize winner and the writing is outstanding. Its the story of an Iowa farmer and the break up of the family farm. I'm so happy that I picked up this one!
Thanks. I've added it to my TBR list.
I don't have a good history with the Pulitzer Prize winners, but this looks good and it does get very good ratings. I like to read books like this that may have fallen off the radar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2022, 11:29 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Thanks. I've added it to my TBR list.
I don't have a good history with the Pulitzer Prize winners, but this looks good and it does get very good ratings. I like to read books like this that may have fallen off the radar.
I'm really enjoying it - the writing reminds me of Wallace Stegner (especially Crossing to Safety).

Eager to hear your thoughts after you read it!

Old 10-26-2022, 11:41 AM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
I am a third into Stephen's King's "It", for Halloween. So far, so bad. Almost boring.

It is all background and character development with tons of useless filler. I hope it gets better. King is a great writer when he wants to be, but when he adds a bunch of filler to a book, it really drags. But hey -- that filler from a 400 page book to 1200 pages -- brings in the money. Got to have that worthless filler.

I have heard this book doesn't really get going until the last 300 pages of 1100. Uggh!

Last edited by Igor Blevin; 10-26-2022 at 11:51 AM..

Old 10-27-2022, 04:05 AM

30 posts, read 14,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am a third into Stephen's King's "It", for Halloween. So far, so bad. Almost boring.

It is all background and character development with tons of useless filler. I hope it gets better. King is a great writer when he wants to be, but when he adds a bunch of filler to a book, it really drags. But hey -- that filler from a 400 page book to 1200 pages -- brings in the money. Got to have that worthless filler.

I have heard this book doesn't really get going until the last 300 pages of 1100. Uggh!
I have to say, I really like the description - "So far, so bad. Almost boring." I read "It" a long while ago and I pretty much agree with you.

Currently, I'm re-reading Adrian Mole's diaries (Sue Townsend), love those books!

Old 10-27-2022, 06:19 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Finished The Henna Artist by Alka Joshi https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-henna-artist

Started off promising, but the farther I went with it, the more bored I became with it. Pushed myself to the finish line. This was a 3 star read for me.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:43 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Have three going at the moment:

Horns - Joe Hill
A Headful of Ghosts - Paul Tremblay
What Unites Us - Dan Rather

Old 10-27-2022, 07:05 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,923,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post

I haven't read IT for a long time, but I don't remember having that problem with IT.

On the other hand I never finished Under the Dome. Way too many characters, you pretty much had to take notes just to keep up.

Old 10-28-2022, 06:14 AM

Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ight-creatures

A Read with Jenna Book Club selection. I gave this one a fair go, but ended up being a big DNF. A total thumbs down for me!

Old 10-28-2022, 05:45 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ight-creatures

A Read with Jenna Book Club selection. I gave this one a fair go, but ended up being a big DNF. A total thumbs down for me!
Wow. I just tried to place this on hold for my dad at his library. 15 copies, 130 holds! Maybe I will buy the book for him... shrug. It looks interesting, has great reviews. Curious, what about it put you off?

Old 10-29-2022, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Wow. I just tried to place this on hold for my dad at his library. 15 copies, 130 holds! Maybe I will buy the book for him... shrug. It looks interesting, has great reviews. Curious, what about it put you off?
Yes, seems to be a VERY popular book. My mom liked it, so I checked it out at my library. It certainly did get a whole lot of good reviews on goodreads too. I read to about the half-way point, the writing just felt way too juvenile for me and I couldn't get into it. Simple as that. But, I'm in the minority!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books