Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2023, 05:35 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Oh! I was terribly disappointed in that book and I love Grisham. I wonder what your opinion will be once you've finished it.
I'll let you know Old Cold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2023, 03:53 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Horse by Geraldine Brooks. I’ve read all her books. Horse is another great on the par with People of the Book.

Old 01-12-2023, 10:40 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
^^^I just learned about this book today. A friend told me about it this morning and at first I thought, "oh no, not another anthropomorphic horse book", as I'm a life-long serious horse person and have had my share of icky-sticky cloying horse books recommended to me.

Then I read - moments before I read your post - the reviews and synopses of Geraldine Brooks' "Horse". Not at all what I expected and happily so. It's much more than that. Here's a link to a synopsis of it . . .

https://hpb.com/products/horse-9780399562969

I'll be ordering it tomorrow. Can't wait!

Old 01-13-2023, 08:47 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I just started "The Measure", Nikki Erlick.
I read 2 chapters, so I will see.
I got the large print and it makes it so much better for me to read.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:58 AM

829 posts, read 411,623 times
Finished When We Were Birds by Ayanna Lloyd Banwo https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-we-were-birds

This was a 4 star read for me.

"How to explain to him that her mother is a womb and a grave; a cage and a pair of wings; a feeding tube and a noose. I don't know. I have been trying to find a word for what we were that sit right on my tongue. She take a last look at the graves and then turn back to him. We weren't close. But we were bound. Like duty. Like vows."

"Sweet Home sit just outside the city proper Wharton. Darwin can't work out what could be so sweet about your family sending you somewhere to die but he suppose whoever name it so was hoping that the big green yard, the neat rose bushes and the converted colonial-style mansion would cover up all those other parts."

"Driving make her experience death like any other person in the world--always a possibility, something to guard against, something to fear and the little thrill of escaping it for another day. Driving make her feel ordinary."

"The trees make him feel good, though, spread like big golden umbrellas. He figure some of them must be older than the whole city. He like the idea that something was still standing from before the rotting benches, the crowded pavements, the quarrelling taxi drivers, the governors and revolutionaries, the very road he trod. It good to know that some things does still live long and stay beautiful no matter what going on around them."

Old 01-13-2023, 04:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Default Maisie Dobbs series

I recently finished "The Consequences of Fear," by Jacqueline Winspear the Maisie Dobbs #16, and have one left to reach the end of the published works. Winspear can be a touch maudlin in her telling of Maisie's trials and tragedies in the 1st and 2nd World Wars, but for the most part they are good mysteries just short of romance or cozies.

Primarily, I listen to them while I do my crafts. As I listen, I often think of how more robust people were in that age, despite facing events that most people today might quail in the face of -- well, Americans anyway. I guess Syrians, or Ukranians are showing their mettle. I find listening to these stories give me hope that we might rise to the occasion if faced with similar situations.

Old 01-13-2023, 07:23 PM

3,689 posts, read 2,410,480 times
Code Name Blue Wren

It's about a woman, Ana Montes, with high security clearances that spied for Cuba for a long time.

She's being released from prison this month.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:15 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I recently finished "The Consequences of Fear," by Jacqueline Winspear the Maisie Dobbs #16, and have one left to reach the end of the published works.
I love that series. Reading her books is a great escape, and I agree about the way she portrays people from that era.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:52 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 5 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,272 times

Old 01-14-2023, 10:05 PM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 5 hours ago)

449 posts, read 196,272 times
I finished this book at the library today. I encourage anyone with an artistic bent to incorporate the advice. My complaint? Too short. A graphic memoir that surpasses 400 pages gives me delight!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books