Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2023, 12:34 PM

4,796 posts, read 2,801,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I'm currently reading the third installment of the Children series titled Children of Memory by Adrian Tchaikovsky.
Excellent writer, I'll have to track that one down. Thanks for the reminder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2023, 02:10 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Just finished two books titled “The Ships of Minos” 1 and 2–ancient civilizations with characters from Troy, Egypt, and Crete under Minos—good adventures that flesh out fables like Theseus’s but the adventure is only getting started by Vol 2 and there are no others listed on Amazon—
Very frustrating to read the first part of extended series and not have the rest—
These were translated from books written by Polish author in early 20th century—
So don’t know if there are more to come—but not mentioned…

Old 02-14-2023, 08:35 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
The Nix. An ambitious 600 page novel that would have headed for a 5 except for too many lengthy digressions. I did end up skipping all the Allen Ginsberg parts, which really could have been totally left out.
Switching among the subplots was enough to deal with.
I read The Nix a few years ago and remember really enjoying it! What an undertaking for a debut novel. I haven't thought about that author in a while so I looked him up. His second book comes out in September of this year.

The chapter about the college student talking with her professor was priceless! Even if you don't want to read The Nix, pick up the book and thumb through until you get to this bit. Enjoy!

Old 02-14-2023, 08:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Almost halfway through Bel Canto and agree that this one is so-so (so far) and not better than State of Wonder IMO. I'll try to find her other books, though. I do like the way she writes.
My second favorite Ann Patchett book (State of Wonder being my favorite) was The Dutch House. Perhaps try it next?

Old 02-14-2023, 08:53 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Write now I'm reading three:
  1. The American Way of Death by Jessica Mitford
  2. 1969: The Year Everything Changed by Rob Kirkpatrick
  3. Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community by Robert D. Putnam
I'll "review" them as I finish. I am reading The American Way of Death as part of my campaign to clear out, by reading or discarding books that I moved from house to house to house from 1964 on, and from reading The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh in high school in 1974 or 1975. Other books I have recently read in that endevour are The Affluent Society by John Kenneth Galbraith and Seize the Day (Paperback) by Saul Bellow.
I picked 1969 off the library bookshelf, at random, when looking for Bowling Alone. From my recollection, 1969 and 1972 were pivotal years in many respects, both personally and in the world.

I am reading Bowling Alone at the behest of my rabbi, when I expressed concern about the declension of membership over the years, accelerated but not started by the "pandemic."

Old 02-14-2023, 10:48 AM

832 posts, read 412,794 times
Finished The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...amily-upstairs

My mom loved this book. It was a 3.5 star read for me, but I'm not a big mystery fan. I know a lot of people liked this one. I just found out now that she wrote a sequel to the book The Family Remains https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...family-remains in case anyone was interested.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:32 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I just finished listening to the second Allie Burns mystery: "1989," by Val McDermid and read by Katie Leung. I'm sort of disappointed that there are not (hopefully yet) works to this series. I liked the first "1979" as well, giving both 4/5 stars. Ms Leung does a great job delivering the story, as well.

Next up:
"Lady in the Lake," by Laura Lippman, read by Susan Bennett

Old 02-15-2023, 04:53 AM
Status: "I have read 26 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

449 posts, read 197,438 times
I had anticipated that this would be nonfiction. It is composed of short stories geared towards adolescents. A gentle book.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:24 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I think I haven't updated my reading here for a bit.
I am currently reading The Hare with the Amber Eyes.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ith-amber-eyes . I know it was recommended to me a long time ago and I added it to my goodreads want to read list. Anyway I was able to get it on kindle from the library a few days ago. The first maybe 40 or 50 pages were a bit dragging to get through but glad I stayed with it. I am only about 1/2 through now but it's very interesting. It's the story of a super wealthy family in the late 1800's in Paris and Vienna, among other places, and their art collections. The background of the actual day to day life as well as the historical goings on is really intriguing. It's written by a descendent, uncovering the family history.
I'm really into it now!

I finished Anxious People, and I almost bailed on that one a few times, maybe more than a few times, but he is humorous so with the little chuckles I stuck with it. It got better, but I don't think it was all that. I know people rave about Fredrik Backman and this book as well. I gave it 3 stars. Some parts were quite clever but it really dragged on for me.

Before this I read The OTher Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson. This was the second book of hers I read. The first was Crow Lake. She is a really good writer and can sweep you up into the story. I rated it 4 stars. Just a good story with a few surprises thrown in.

And because it's not a well known book. I will mention again- The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. This was such a sweet delightful book. I rated it 5 stars.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:17 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,550,038 times
I just finished reading Truman Capote's "The Grass Harp," the novella that begins the book "The Grass Harp, Including A Tree of Night and Other Stories. I liked the story well enough; one could say it was charming, but I don't care for short stories, and I didn't like the novella well enough to want to read further.

Next up: "Her Name Is Knight," by Yasmin Angoe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books