Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2024, 10:57 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

A number of them, when I get around to them.

Still reading Heiress to Collinwood , a Dark Shadows book, by Lara Harris.

Got into the adventures of David Lewis, of the Antarctica Ice Bird voyages, so doing The Ship That Would Not Travel West.

Picked up and restarted Nova by Samuel R. Delany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 12:35 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I'm on page 129, (as I just read a little before bed) and sadly I'm not enjoying it at all, and I am very disappointed that I am not enjoying it. I read so many good reviews about it, including yours.

Most times I look forward to going into the world of **insert a book name** and feeling like a part of it, and while I will continue to read it, I am just not enjoying it. I am hoping that it starts to pick up.
I think it's hard when we've read a book by an author whom we really like....and then find that their next book--or one of their past books--is a letdown.

I felt like that with one of Barbara Kingsolver's books a few years back. (I forgot that there's a whole thread about that here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/book...inted-you.html )

Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Unwinding Anxiety (Brewer. 2021)

Basically a handbook on managing daily anxiety. Because anxiety is very subjective, there seems to be a wide variety of treatments. There is no one-size-fits-all, but Dr. Brewer gives his best shot. I felt this was a sincere effort.. but who knows how it translates for each reader. The only anxiety book I feel gets closest to a universal understanding & treatment of anxiety is 'Hope and Help for Your Nerves'. Still the gold standard in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:00 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
I've almost finished "Seven Days in the Art World" by Sarah Thornton and have enjoyed it very much. Since I'm an art lover and amateur artist, it is very interesting to me, but perhaps not to someone who doesn't have these interests. However, I must say her writing is excellent and she conveys the situations and characters in a fluid and interesting way. A four-star read for me. The Amazon synopsis:

Sarah Thornton's vivid ethnography―an international hit, now available in twenty translations―reveals the inner workings of the sophisticated subcultures that make up the contemporary art world. In a series of day-in-the-life narratives set in New York, Los Angeles, London, Basel, Venice, and Tokyo, Seven Days in the Art World explores the dynamics of creativity, taste, status, money, and the search for meaning in life.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:55 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
I am a little more than halfway through The Arc of a Covenant: The United States, Israel and the Fate of the Jewish People by Walter Russell Mead. I am reading it on the recent recommendation of a close friend. Ironically, I had in my news clippings file the N.Y. Times review of the book from August 2022 (link, not paywalled). The book is dense with detail and research, but ultimately quite satisfying. I am just more than halfway through.

Old 02-28-2024, 08:56 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

This could have been much better. I don't recommend this book.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:03 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times

I've read this memoir before. It's been more than 5 years since I last read it. I am eager to see what lessons I will gain from this reread. As a wise person once said, 'books are a mirror unto ourselves'. What will I see in myself this time.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:13 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I finished The Cider House Rules. I really enjoyed reading it, even considering its length. I did think towards the end it got a little bit confusing and trying to tie things up to completion. I wonder if some of that was me, getting impatient as I know so many people thought the book was one of the best.
It was a beautiful story and had so many levels to it, definitely worth reading.
While I was reading it I felt that it was a 5 star. When it ended, I didn't feel that- so maybe 4 or 4.5 stars for me.

Old 03-01-2024, 12:50 PM

884 posts, read 622,450 times
I recently finished reading "White Rural Rage" The Heartland Threat to America. Its authors are Tom Schaller and Paul Waldman.

The authors examine the reasons that while voters in less populous states have more electoral power than their urban counterparts, they are often the most eager to abandon democratic principles.

They also write that this is the patriotic paradox of rural America. These citizens, who take such pride in their patriotism, are least likely to defend core American principles. Even though the system itself is set up in their favor.

Recommended reading.

Old 03-02-2024, 05:41 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
This looks worthwhile:

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR, ACCORDING TO BARNES & NOBLE
Community Nov 13, 2023

Recently, Barnes & Noble shared their books for the Best Books of the Year (plural), which included 12 books in a range of genres and age categories. Today, they’ve announced their overall Book of the Year for 2023: The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride, which they describe as a “stunning novel about a small town and the bonds of community that are formed between marginalized groups in order to survive.”

It is definitely on my list of books to read soon.
Did you end up reading it? I've read nothing but great reviews, but I can't seem to get into it. And I loved McBride's The Color of Water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books