Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2023, 07:37 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
Friends, lovers and the Big Terrible thing," by Matthew Perry

The autobiography of Matthew Perry.

I just finished it.
I've been toying with ordering this book. How was it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2023, 11:24 AM

829 posts, read 410,848 times
Finished Elmet by Fiona Mozley https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35711376-elmet

This was a 3.5 star read for me.

"I had come to depend on Vivien with a weight I could only just acknowledge, now, as I set that weight down. Daddy had built me a home--for me and for him and for Cathy. He had built shelter, arranged wood and stone over our heads in such a way that kept off the wind and the snow and the rain. He had given us safety and warmth. But, for me, in a way that I could not quite fathom let alone describe, Vivien had built a home for me too. A nest. It was a different kind from the one by the copse on the top of the hill. There was nothing tangible about the home I felt in Vivien. There were no bricks, no mortar, no rivets, no joints. It kept off no weather. It sank slowly into no mud. But it had a kind of hearth and a kind of fire. It was a place with a future. A place of possibility."

Old 11-14-2023, 06:19 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
This looks worthwhile:

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR, ACCORDING TO BARNES & NOBLE
Community Nov 13, 2023
This content contains affiliate links. When you buy through these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Recently, Barnes & Noble shared their books for the Best Books of the Year (plural), which included 12 books in a range of genres and age categories. Today, they’ve announced their overall Book of the Year for 2023: The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride, which they describe as a “stunning novel about a small town and the bonds of community that are formed between marginalized groups in order to survive.”

It is definitely on my list of books to read soon.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:34 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store
Don't know about best but it was good.

Old 11-15-2023, 04:26 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
A Visit from the Goon Squad: Pulitzer Prize Winner

One of many prize winners that make me question my judgement. Is it me or does this book really suck bilge water?

Couldn't agree more with the reviewer who said it's like that $30,000. plastic chair with a paint drizzle on it that modern art critics drool over and the rest of us shake our heads .

Old 11-15-2023, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I just ordered the Matthew Perry memoir and will let you know how it is when I finish reading it! Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing. I just finished a book that was surprisingly good for our book club - it is A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg. I really liked it, which is saying a lot because I don't usually really enjoy fiction.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:14 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Isn't Fannie Flagg the one who wrote Fried Green Tomatoes? That was an amazing book and movie.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:24 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,414,855 times
I read The Secret Life of Sunflowerswhich was historical fiction told from the part of the sister in law of Van Gogh and while I did find it interesting , I thought it fell short. I gave it 3.5 stars.

I am currently reading The Brilliant Life of Eudora Honeysett. Parts of it are a bit too staged, but I'm enjoying the read and it does have some very good points for discussion and thought. It's kind o Ove mixed with Eleanor Oliphant.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:32 PM

2,028 posts, read 3,345,213 times
I'm reading "The Brothers Karamazov," by Fyodor Dostoevsky. And boy is it hard to get thru.

I have wanted to read it for a while, so i'm not giving up. Plus i'm retired and give myself a lot of time to read.

I'm into the 600s (pages), so only a few more hundred to go!

Old 11-15-2023, 07:04 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,540,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
This looks worthwhile:

THIS IS THE BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR, ACCORDING TO BARNES & NOBLE
Community Nov 13, 2023
This content contains affiliate links. When you buy through these links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Recently, Barnes & Noble shared their books for the Best Books of the Year (plural), which included 12 books in a range of genres and age categories. Today, they’ve announced their overall Book of the Year for 2023: The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride, which they describe as a “stunning novel about a small town and the bonds of community that are formed between marginalized groups in order to survive.”

It is definitely on my list of books to read soon.
#1 on another list: https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...paign=campaign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books