Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 07:35 PM

523 posts, read 654,491 times

Advertisements

I'm reading the Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Very good book so far and I'm about 60 pages from the end (I hear it has a sad ending).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:59 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
Another big Anne Tyler fan here, I really wish she was a bit more prolific. Breathing Lessons is still my favorite of her books.

I really enjoyed The Book Thief.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1094 View Post
I'm reading the Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Very good book so far and I'm about 60 pages from the end (I hear it has a sad ending).
One of the best books -- if not THE best book -- that I ever read. I literally was SOBBING at the end.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Reading "Where are the children" by Mary Higgins Clark. A very early book of hers. It's ok so far. Every time i finish a better book and get one not as good, I can't get into them right away. I just finished "Point of origin" by Patricia Cornwell, and was really sad and disappointed that they killed off one of the regular characters.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
As usual, I've got more than one book on the go, a very bad habit of mine. I've got The
Stand by Stephen King, which has got a few hundred pages to go, which I read while on
holiday, and have put down. I'm part way through Down and out in London and Paris by
George Orwell, and now I'm starting a book my son got me called The Fame Formula by
Mark Borkowski about the publicity agents back in the old movie days, my son knows my
great interest in the golden days of the movies, so whenever he sees a book on anything
to do with the subject he gets it for me!!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:13 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,644,916 times
just finished "The Glass Castle". starting "the help".

Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM

523 posts, read 654,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
One of the best books -- if not THE best book -- that I ever read. I literally was SOBBING at the end.
I just finished it and I have to agree with you on both points; very sad ending but it turned out to be one of my favorite books. I thought the choice of narrator was very clever and I didn't figure out its true identity until the end.

Now onto my next book: Pillars of the Earth.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
Well, finished "Where are the children." I decided to read more last night and it finally became really interesting towards the end so I finished it this afternoon.
I much prefer books that grab me right away and not let go.

Now I am currently trying to read "Navy Wife" by Debbie Macomber and finding it utterly boring. I started this book earlier this year and kept passing out from sheer boredom. So I set it aside for awhile. A classic romance type book of which I do not care for. Romance: they meet, they like each other. Then they have a misunderstanding, they hate each other, then they fall in love again or have sex. Then something happens and they hate each other again. Then they fall in love again and live happily ever after. Repeat for all romance novels. *barf*

Old 08-09-2011, 06:50 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I did finally finish OPEN ( agassi- I did like it but actually had to gloss over all the tennis. I just started HISTORY OF LOVE. It is amazing. (I believe the author, Nicole Krauss is married to the author of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. )Very engrossing, and different and actually an easy read. (LOL let's see how long this one takes me... I have lately become a very slow reader)

Old 08-09-2011, 07:57 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Well, I finished The Amateur Marriage....have to say now one of my favorites too of all her books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I'm a big fan of Anne Tyler. The Amateur Marriage was one of my favorites. It's funny and sad and familiar all at once.

I also really liked Ladder of Years.

I admit that I was first intrigued by her books due to most of them being set in the Baltimore area since that's where I live. But I think I'd be a fan of her books regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books