Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 07:12 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Insomnia once again has me up in the middle of the night - actually went to bed at midnight but did nothing but toss and turn for a couple of hours. So I decided to get up and read and grabbed the book on the top of the stack from the library.

It is most appropriately titled Sleep No More by Greg Iles.
There's irony for you!

(Did it work, or were you able to return to sleep? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I finished The Dinner last night. Didn't really like the characters but there was something about the way it was written that kept me reading until the end. Started 1984 last night. Never read it before.
As I recall, you are not the first to review "The Dinner" ambivalently. As for "1984" -- that's a book that has stayed with me! Seems I get daily reminders of it in one form or another (much like "Lord of the Flies"), and the knowing hasn't been a good thing.

Ah Bliss, thy name is Ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,349,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

As I recall, you are not the first to review "The Dinner" ambivalently. As for "1984" -- that's a book that has stayed with me! Seems I get daily reminders of it in one form or another (much like "Lord of the Flies"), and the knowing hasn't been a good thing.

Ah Bliss, thy name is Ignorance.
gulp! now I'm a little worried.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:36 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post

It is most appropriately titled Sleep No More by Greg Iles.
If you like Greg Iles then you would probably enjoy the books of Simon Beckett. I like both authors. They both write well and have exceptional character development. The plots are intriguing and tend to take the reader on a roller coaster ride.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
gulp! now I'm a little worried.
No, definitely a book worth reading, just (tragically) predictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
If you like Greg Iles then you would probably enjoy the books of Simon Beckett. I like both authors. They both write well and have exceptional character development. The plots are intriguing and tend to take the reader on a roller coaster ride.
Good to know, K. I am also an Iles fan. I will look for Beckett.

While I am here, the "Death and Dying..." is starting a bit dry. It IS being sold as a college text, so I suppose that is to be expected. I think the author might be relatively new to writing, as she starts very general and plods along (one hopes) towards her topic -- giving a lot of superfluous info about the region and the general social aspects of the Appalachian people. Still waiting to get to the part about their practices and beliefs about the topic....

Old 07-26-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
No, definitely a book worth reading, just (tragically) predictive.

Good to know, K. I am also an Iles fan. I will look for Beckett.
Whew!

I read Iles too and I remember K recommending Beckett too but I never remember to look for him at the library. I'm making a note now.

My sissy bought me Orphan Train today. Super excited! I've wanted to read it since I read the description. I bought her Heart of the West by Penelope Williamson today. I have a hard copy of it (which I have yet to read), but she's buying all her favorites in eBook and it just came out in eBook a month ago.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Whew!

My sissy bought me Orphan Train today. Super excited! I've wanted to read it since I read the description.
Who's the author, fromupthere?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Who's the author, fromupthere?
Christina Baker Kline

Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Christina Baker Kline
You're so good, Dawn!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Christina Baker Kline
Thanks, Dawn. There were several with that title.

Where have you been, girlfriend? Have you been reading to Artie?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Thanks, Dawn. There were several with that title.

Where have you been, girlfriend? Have you been reading to Artie?
Uh, I haven't read one page of one book since the end of June. I have, uh, a -- I'll send you email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books