Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 09:04 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

I'm reading Holding Their Own by (get this) Joe Nobody.

I like survival stories and this is a very good one. I started it yesterday before the power went out due to the tornadoes. I read most of the night in the only inside room I have in the house. The hall bath. I was surrounded by 3 cats all their stuff, food, water and two lanterns that allowed me to read. It sure passed the time and this afternoon when the power came back on and I saw the videos of what happened outside I was glad to be alive. The book got me through the night quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 04:02 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading Holding Their Own by (get this) Joe Nobody.

I like survival stories and this is a very good one. I started it yesterday before the power went out due to the tornadoes. I read most of the night in the only inside room I have in the house. The hall bath. I was surrounded by 3 cats all their stuff, food, water and two lanterns that allowed me to read. It sure passed the time and this afternoon when the power came back on and I saw the videos of what happened outside I was glad to be alive. The book got me through the night quickly.
Whoa! I'm glad that you're OK. It's like my aunt always told me, "You're never alone when you have a good book." (I guess she should have added "...and cats.")

Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM

I have about 20 pages left of On Canaan's Side (by Sebastian Barry), which I'll read today. I just don't want it to end, that's why I didn't finish it last night.

A few notes about it, in case you want to read it:

1. It's slow going in the beginning. I couldn't figure out who Mr. Nolan was (but that was done on purpose) and I couldn't tell what the book was *about.* However, about halfway through, I realized that this is a terrific story and I was aching to know how it would play out. (I still don't know what the last 20 pages will show me, but I suspect that I'll hug the book to my chest and let out a giant sigh, which is something that I'm known to do after finishing a book that I love.)

2. I like the comma as much as the next person, but Sebastian Harry seems to ADORE the comma, almost in an unnatural way. Maybe (the overuse of) the comma made the writing more lyrical for some people, but it was a bit distracting for me. I'm an editor and I just wanted to slash so many of them out.

Bottom line: It's a wonderful story told in a beautiful way.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Tonight I'm going to start On Writing by Stephen King. I'm not a fan of his fiction (I've never been able to get through one of his stories, except for The Green Mile on film) but I do like the way that he writes.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
Default The Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan.

I like the books but because he kept bringing new people into in at times it's hard to keep up with. Too many people & with my ADD it makes me nuts. I'm on book 8 at the moment. I loved his writing when he did Conan The Barbrian but I find myself skipping around here of late. I'm not sure I'm going to make it though all 16 books.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 PM

603 posts, read 966,903 times

Old 04-06-2012, 02:32 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Five Days That Shocked the World
Eyewitness Accounts at the End of WWII
by Nicholas Best

and

A. Lincoln
by Ronald C White, Jr

Old 04-06-2012, 04:04 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
I'm also reading "Burn Down the Ground" by Kambri Crewes. A memoir. It's very good also.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,127 times
I usually have several books going at once. My son is the same. He has about 20 library books in various stages of being read!

I just finished The Help and now I am reading some other Anne of Green Gables books but they are slow going because the print of the books is so poor.

Some old books are turn offs because the only additions are small print or just not nice books to hold if anyone gets that meaning.

I'm also reading a job search book called The Job Search Solution.

I have a stack of ten more books to read because I am always at the library.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:14 PM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
I just started reading Game of Thrones (first book of five) by George R.R. Martin. I have been watching the series on HBO so I figured I should read the books to understand better what is going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books