Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2015, 02:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,948,301 times

Advertisements

Ian McEwan's "Saturday" -- a book that makes me feel like reading it very slowly and deliberately. It's the first satisfying book I've hit in a long time, after about six duds. I was beginning to think it was just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 03:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Ian McEwan's "Saturday" -- a book that makes me feel like reading it very slowly and deliberately. It's the first satisfying book I've hit in a long time, after about six duds. I was beginning to think it was just me.
I read Saturday a few years ago and thought it was a wonderful read. Of course, McEwan never disappoints.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:59 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I'm currently reading a book that was recommended on the Book board of Flipboard (great app, by the way!) It's called The Rocks by Peter Nichols. I'm about 18% in and am still very uncertain if I'm going to like it or hate it. The setting is beautiful - Mallorca: think sun, salt air, olives, hills, oranges and lemons, parties at night, "handsome" women, music...

There was one pretty shocking sexual dalliance that has not really been fleshed out (no pun intended!). If that event is central to the story and was purposeful, then I'm OK and will keep reading, but if it is just indicative of a bunch of pseudoshocking sexy bits, then I'll move on to something else.

More later!
I read the blurb on Amazon. I'm not a fan of "beach reads" or romances, but it sounded pretty interesting. I liked the idea of telling the story by moving backwards in time. What I didn't like is that a number of reviewers used the term "dense" to describe the writing. I don't like dense writing. I'm curious if you see it through.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:06 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,387,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post

I HAVE to read this book. It's even at one of my preferred library locations, just waiting for me.

Thank you.

I am back in TN and finished listening to the audio. Sadly some parts of the CD's were scratched and skipped. I was able to piece it together and enjoyed learning about her owl Now I want to hear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I read and enjoyed the children's book " The One And Only Ivan" by Katherine Applegate that was mentioned by Lisa07.

Yay…one more

Then I read and did manage to finish~Creature by John Saul but it was rougher than I had found his books before as far as gore and profanity. Very interesting story,though.YA-- An excellent example of the horror genre, although not as extreme as Stephen King. When Craig Tanner is offered a promotion by TarrenTech and the family moves to Silverdale, Colorado, everything seems perfect. It is a company town with quaint houses, little commercialization, and a community that supports its sports teams. Mark Tanner develops dramatically as an athlete after several sessions at the Rocky Mountain High sports center where the football players are given workouts. This is only the beginning of a training program that has some terrifying results. Creature will be widely read by athletes and sports fans.

I read that years ago when I read all of John Saul as soon as they came out. I liked it but for the life of me can't remember all of it.

Next I tried what was supposed to be an action/thriller by Clive Cussler~ Vixen03... but only made it to page 15 before I almost fell out of my chair laughing when Dirk's girlfriend comes into her father's garage [they are staying at his cabin] where Dirk has found the nose gear to an airplane.He tells her that he needs her help to load it into the jeep so he can take it to someone to help identify it,and that she might want to take off her blue nighty so she doesn't get it dirty,so she does that and proceeds to push the large nosegear up boards into the back of the jeep,while "naked"! Yeah like any woman alive would be THAT IDIOTIC,LOL! That killed it for me,no way could I take that book as a thriller with a scene that ridiculous in it! Guess only a man could appreciate that visual,lol,lol,lol!
Ha, ha…cheesy women. I thought Clive was better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Do you ever shorten your "to read" list WITHOUT having actually read the book?

I do this sometimes. It's cleansing. I look over my "to read" list. Some of the books seem like they could be removed -- based on nothing tangible, my desire has just waned. I look up a few of the books -- again -- on Amazon. Read the synopsis again. (At this point, I'm a bit closer to removing it from the list.) Read a few reviews. (Closer.) Read the sample. (Even closer.) Read the synopsis one more time. (Aaaand... GONE!)

Do you do a spring cleaning (in any season) of your "to read" list, finding that books that you'd once been excited about now just make you shrug?
I have gone back and wondered why I chose some books. Sadly I have not cleaned them up…yet. Just another to do thing.

I just finished Firefly Lane and cried like a baby, lol. I am such a mush.

Next up A High-End Finish by Kate Carlisle which is a "fixer upper" mystery. Sounds like it might be right up my alley.
"In the seaside town of Lighthouse Cove in northern California, everyone knows the best man for the job is actually a woman—contractor Shannon Hammer. But while Shannon can do wonders with a power drill and a little elbow grease, she’s about to discover that some problems aren’t so easily fixed....

Shannon’s home-renovation and repair business is booming, but her love life needs work. On a blind date with real estate agent Jerry Saxton, she has to whip out a pair of pliers to keep Jerry from getting too hands on. Shannon is happy to put her rotten date behind her, but when Jerry’s found dead in a run-down Victorian home that she’s been hired to restore, the town’s attractive new police chief suspects that her threats may have laid the foundation for murder.

Determined to clear her name, Shannon conducts her own investigation—with the help of her four best friends, her eccentric father, a nosy neighbor or two, and a handsome crime writer who’s just moved to town. But as they get closer to prying out the murderer’s identity, Shannon is viciously attacked. Now she’ll have to nail down the truth—or end up in permanent foreclosure.…

Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Do you ever shorten your "to read" list WITHOUT having actually read the book?

I do this sometimes. It's cleansing. I look over my "to read" list. Some of the books seem like they could be removed -- based on nothing tangible, my desire has just waned. I look up a few of the books -- again -- on Amazon. Read the synopsis again. (At this point, I'm a bit closer to removing it from the list.) Read a few reviews. (Closer.) Read the sample. (Even closer.) Read the synopsis one more time. (Aaaand... GONE!)

Do you do a spring cleaning (in any season) of your "to read" list, finding that books that you'd once been excited about now just make you shrug?
Not so far. I don't read the books in order, and I certainly read a lot that never make the list, but I keep them on Goodreads until I read them, or return them unfinished.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Not so far. I don't read the books in order, and I certainly read a lot that never make the list, but I keep them on Goodreads until I read them, or return them unfinished.
Pack rat!

I don't read them in order either, and I certainly read stuff before it even hits the list, but I definitely like the feeling of weeding out the stuff that I know doesn't now stand a chance of ever being read.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:35 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
I just finished Boy on Ice: The Life and Death of Derek Boogaard. Sad.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:47 AM

I'm between books in that I'm waiting for one of my holds to become available at the library. I have a lot of unread books but they're all long and I don't want to "get involved" while I'm waiting for a library book. So I'm reading -- don't judge me! -- this: O's Little Book of Happiness. Yes, it's an Oprah-type book but it's excerpts from her magazine, written by all sorts of people who can seriously write. It's all snippets and goodies and I'm loving it. It's perfect for while I'm between books and it's a rainy day and I don't want to work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/125...f_rd_i=desktop

The blurb talks about "inspiration" and "advice" and "cures" -- all words that I run from -- but whoever wrote that blurb didn't read the book. It's precious without being precious.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
"Death in Kashmir" on some pick ups (of the book), "Adrift" on others.
Death in Kashmir: A Mystery: M. M. Kaye: 9780312263102: Amazon.com: Books
Adrift: Seventy-six Days Lost at Sea: Steven Callahan: 9780618257324: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-02-2015, 10:19 AM

315 posts, read 210,653 times
This thread caught my attention as I love to read.

I just started:

McCarthy's Bar by Pete McCarthy

just finished:
Notes from Nethers by Sandra Eugster (loved it)

Recently read:
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron - amusing and light. I'd read it again.

The Tunnel and the Light by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (deep topic but very good)

Read not long ago:
Memoirs of a Geisha (loved it!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books