Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times

Advertisements

I just got When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi who is a young neurosurgeon who recently died at age 37 of lung cancer. The forward was written by one of my favorite physician authors, Abraham Verghese, who was a mentor/friend of Dr. Kalanthi. I might wait a few days to start it as I feel like I need to get in the right head space for this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 09:15 AM

576 posts, read 823,709 times
Georgia by Lesley Pearse

Old 01-13-2016, 09:16 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
the gathering of birds by tracy guzeman and so far it is interesting and I like it but I'm not that far into it yet so we shall see .

Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I finished listening to "The Kite Runner" yesterday, read by the author The Kite Runner, Khaled Hosseini.

His writing was riveting. I was thrilled by the two boys playing, dismayed when the glimmer of darker thoughts colored that rosy picture, and enraged by its ugly head rearing over them, destroying those halcyon days. I considered not reading further, so angry with the character's lack of backbone. And then the roller coaster started to rise again. (Yes, apparently though I am almost 60 I am still too impressionable. )

I gave it five stars. I already added his next book to my TRL.
Excellent description of it! I thought A Thousand Splendid Suns was even better than The Kite Runner. Makes me think I should be reading his other one now, but enjoying Plainsong so another day.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thank you. I added it to my library list which means it is high on my 1000's of books to read

I am waiting for that one from my library and I am finally getting closer. I am #2.

I really liked Plainsong.

That one sounds good…thanks

I just finished This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance by Jonathan Evison. 79 year old Harriet Chance goes on an Alaskan Cruise and relives her life which turns out to hold a few secrets. Maybe I am tired of the same old same old and people not "living" while they can. Too many people have too many regrets. Maybe people ought to change that and try to enjoy their lives a bit more. Harriet's life was just drab, boring and quite depressing to me. Why bother living.

This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!: Jonathan Evison: 9781616202613: Amazon.com: Books

And now I am reading two very different books. One is for a January Challenge called Pro: Reclaiming Abortion Rights by Katha Pollitt. So far it is a good read.
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Reclaiming...1&keywords=pro

I am also reading At Home in Mitford. I know it is supposed to be a sweet gentle type read but the characters are a bit "too perfect" except for their gossiping(I think because they live boring lives), and the characters are just not so likable yet. Maybe it gets better. I think of Father Tim as an old and boring man who is very one dimensional. Meanwhile my husband is only 2 years older than him in the book and so… much younger. I'm not sure what to make of the dog who likes preaching. Sad since dogs don't go to heaven according to Christianity.

I think I need a cheery book but not fantasy, lol.

May I interject here about the part where dogs don't go to heaven ? I had a preacher tell me that he believed that dogs do go to heaven and that they will be waiting on us there when we cross over ...so I don't think all Christianity thinks that way just to point that out and that dogs name is barnabas and I love those jan karon books myself but hey that is me .. Have you read the boston girl by anita diamont yet ? you would most likely like that one I did cause it reminds me of my jewish relatives on my mothers side ...let me know what you thought of when you read it okay ?

Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just got When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi who is a young neurosurgeon who recently died at age 37 of lung cancer. The forward was written by one of my favorite physician authors, Abraham Verghese, who was a mentor/friend of Dr. Kalanthi. I might wait a few days to start it as I feel like I need to get in the right head space for this one.
Given how well Verghese wrote "Cutting for Stone" I have to add this one to my TRL. If he endorses it in he forward, it has to mean it's good -- right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
Excellent description of it! I thought A Thousand Splendid Suns was even better than The Kite Runner. Makes me think I should be reading his other one now, but enjoying Plainsong so another day.
I added Plainsong to my TRL based on your earlier post. No worries, good books are good whenever they are read.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:37 AM

I just put a hold on the childrens blizzard by david laskin at my library it sounds interesting and as some of you may know I was a history major in college so things like this interest me . So kudos and thank you to the poster that mentioned this book on your list . after you read it I will let you know .

Old 01-13-2016, 10:24 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That's quite an endorsement! I loved it as well. Here is a link to a poem by Wendell Barry that is pretty fabulous, IMO. MANIFESTO: THE MAD FARMER LIBERATION FRONT
Thanks Marlow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
To all of you people who read Jayber Crow:

I had never heard of it until you all started talking about it and now it's on my radar to read at some point, sooner rather than later.

I have some questions, though: Wendell Berry wrote many books. Some of them -- such as Jayber Crow -- are part of his "Port William" collection. (1) Have you read any others that are part of this collection? (2) Do they have to be read in order?
I saw that too Dawn. I think JC stands alone quite well. His other stories are probably about other characters in Port William. I love the names of his characters. One gentleman was named Violet. That just fascinated me. His character's names have as much character as they do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I know you will love it, Dawn. As surely as I know my fingers type this post.

I looked at Wendell's books on Goodreads and there is nothing to suggest there is a series. The story introduced ME to Port William, but the stories he tells about the characters are snippets of memories about them, and their actions in his immediate story, so I am inclined to think each story stands on it's own merit.

I first encountered him in the 70s, and never even knew he wrote fiction. In my mind's eye he was always a poet and an essayist. He excels in both. My favorite poem, "The Mad Farmer's Liberation Font" has many renditions -- I think he must've re-written it more than a hundred times!, but at its roots it tells us of where the paths we are on will lead us. He's predicted well, sadly.

I give him two hands and feet up, so it's good that I am seated.
LFM, yes he really nailed where we are all going on this slippery path to total dependency on the system!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Where You Once Belonged by Kent Haruf was good, but not as heartfelt and moving as the Plainsong trilogy. It sort of felt like he was warming up with WYOB. I imagine it's just a function of his become a better writer as time went on. By all means read it if you're the mood for a quiet study of people in a small town, but don't expect to love it as much as you loved Plainsong (assuming you did ).

I picked up The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. I've loved the other stuff I've read by him.
David McCullough is a great author!

Old 01-13-2016, 10:31 AM

496 posts, read 395,364 times
Last night I finished My Sunshine Away. The book was very well written but I am glad I borrowed the e-version from the library because it was not a subject matter I would have chosen to read. When I looked at a few reviews on Amazon it was referred to as a coming of age book. I didn't see the actual main subject mentioned. I did rate it as a four star even though the subject was an uncomfortable one.

I started The Last Anniversary last night. I'm not all that into but I will keep plugging away for another evening before deciding to continue or to ditch it.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:21 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
Listening to Taylor Stevens' The Informationist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books