Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 12:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Funny, because I gave up -- at 67% -- on The Fact of the Body for much the same reason. It was just making me sick. I can't tolerate sexual abuse, especially against children, at all.

I just started another book last night, and finished the first chapter at the end of a really long work day. The Unwashed Sky by Irene Zabytko. It's horrible. The writing is awful, the characters are one-dimensional, the story is ridiculous. JUST KIDDING, NETWIT! Only the Prologue and one chapter into it, and I can already tell that I'm going to love it. Thank you for the recommendation and for being patient until I finally got around to it.
You should have seen my face when I read that, Dawn! I was bringing my ipad up closer to my nose and my mouth was hanging open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2017, 12:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
You should have seen my face when I read that, Dawn! I was bringing my ipad up closer to my nose and my mouth was hanging open.
Hahaha! Love you, girl! Have a great weekend. I'll be reading this (terrific) book.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:32 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
A Walk on the Wild Side by Nelson Algren. (He also wrote The Man With the Golden Arm.) Lou Rawls claimed the novel was the inspiration for his song, this Rawl's song was about people in his own life and not those in the book.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:49 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
I just finished David Crockett by Michael Wallis, and am now reading (and viewing) Mark Twain: An Illustrated Biography. I've gotta keep reading about interesting Americans of our past!

Old 06-23-2017, 01:19 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,023,195 times
This morning I finished Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. Wow, what an ending! It is sticking with me.

I'm reading two nonfiction books now: Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson and Uncharted: The Journey Through Uncertainty to Infinite Possibility by Colette Baron-Reid. Behind Her Eyes affected me so much, I have to take a break from fiction for a day or so while I calm down.

Old 06-24-2017, 05:17 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I'm 22% into The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and I think this book is a winner. It's been on my radar for a while but I just didn't think I would find the subject matter appealing. It's about a guy who is living his life over and over again while remembering his previous lives. https://www.amazon.com/First-Fifteen...f+harry+august

Old 06-24-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'm 22% into The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North and I think this book is a winner. It's been on my radar for a while but I just didn't think I would find the subject matter appealing. It's about a guy who is living his life over and over again while remembering his previous lives. https://www.amazon.com/First-Fifteen...f+harry+august
I've had that book on my Kindle for years. I need to retire. And to stop home renovations.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:11 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I've had that book on my Kindle for years. I need to retire. And to stop home renovations.

How's the new place? What renovating are you doing? Wish I could help. I love doing those

I'm kind of in a reading slump. I am reading 2 books but just not getting far. I read maybe 30 pages a day and I get sidetracked. I guess it is understandable. In a week we will be traveling to get married and then big visit with family. Anyway lots of prep work...lawns, cleaning, and getting clothes ready.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
How's the new place? What renovating are you doing? Wish I could help. I love doing those

I'm kind of in a reading slump. I am reading 2 books but just not getting far. I read maybe 30 pages a day and I get sidetracked. I guess it is understandable. In a week we will be traveling to get married and then big visit with family. Anyway lots of prep work...lawns, cleaning, and getting clothes ready.
Wait. What? WAIT! Does Mike know that you're getting married?!?!? No, seriously, I thought you two were already married. Married for decades, married. Anyway, HUGE congratulations!!!! May you be as happy as you've been all of these unmarried years. Best of everything wishes to both of you.

The new place is great! I'd love for you to come help! I know how much you love that stuff. I'm doing it in stages:

Stage 1 (now)
----------------
a) Kitchen counter (white quartz) has been installed
b) Backsplash installation starts on Wednesday

Stage 2 (hopefully before year end)
----------------------------------------
The main floor is a huge open-concept space. I have dark hardwood (gorgeous!) in my living room and dining area. That area bleeds into the kitchen, which is L-shaped, and I'm going to use the short part of the L as my dining room. That flooring is -- wait... sit down... ready? -- linoleum. On Tuesday, I have a flooring guy coming to quote me on the cost of continuing the living room hardwood throughout. I got one quote already (a guy emailed me), which was about $5000 because he said that he'd have to sand/stain/finish the existing floor so that he could get a good match. That's not happening. I'll see what this guy says and whether he has other options to offer me, even if it's wood or laminate that's a close color match... or maybe I'll go with tile (although the labor of tile installation might make that not a good option). We shall see.

Stage 3 (I don't know when)
--------------------------------
a) Replace bathroom vanities in both bathrooms upstairs
b) Replace shower stall in my main bathroom
c) Replace all three toilets (they all act wonky in their own way -- two are being replaced sooner rather than later, before the end of the summer)

Okay, enough about this stuff. GET YOUR CLOTHES READY AND GO GET MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations again!!! <3 XOXO

Old 06-25-2017, 06:14 AM

922 posts, read 791,010 times
Just started Sole Survivor by Dean Koontz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books