Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 11:57 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,781,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
About Grace by Anthony Doerr, who wrote All The Light We Cannot See. It's very good, but not like ATLWCS.
Thanks maybe I'll check it out. I really enjoyed "All the Light we can not see".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is an expansion on an earlier post.

I just finished reading The Earthbound Parent: How (and Why) to Raise Your Little Angels Without Religion by Richard A. Conn Jr. The book is thoroughly well written, and a good and fast read. I just as thoroughly disagree with just about every word of the book.

I went into reading the book with an open mind. The book makes strong arguments against organized religion, arguing, in effect, that G-d does not exist. He goes on to explain his views that teaching religion is harmful as it encourages ignorance and fallacious beliefs at best and violence, even rape and murder at worst. His tone is sometimes mocking, referring to "Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Quo and Qua" repeatedly. His argument, ultimately, is that the good aspects of religion, such as moral and ethical codes, are embedded in common and statutory law.

On Rosh Hashonah, I went to synagogue. The congregation was filled with orderly and educated people, most of whom are part of and/or have raised good families. These people are in many respects pillars of the community. I don't agree with the author's views on G-d. Even assuming I did agree or was uncertain, i.e. agnostic, I see no reason to uproot a system that has produced positive results.

The author uses examples from radical Islam and from the Crusades to make the case that religion is a toxic force. What he doesn't do is evaluate its positive impacts as well.
Thanks for the update. I also enjoy "some" books with a differing point of view than mine. I don't enjoy the books that are an extreme one sided view and all they do is bash the other view/side.

Have you ever watched an old TV series called 30 Days? I haven't seen all the episodes but it put people who had opposing views on things and switched their lives for 30 days. They truly got a feel for how it is the wear the shoe on the other foot. It was a great concept. I wish more people had seen it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437696/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Days-The...UAAOSw8b9bla7c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
I just finished "Beneath a Scarlet Sky"--- Mark Sullivan Excellent book, really enjoyed it. It was about young man from Italy and his family, friends and communities experience during WWII.

On the other hand I tried reading "A Gentleman in Moscow" and put it down, didn't care for it one bit.
I really liked both of those.

Quote:
Thanks maybe I'll check it out. I really enjoyed "All the Light we can not see".
Me too

Old 09-13-2018, 09:09 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
Thanks for the update. I also enjoy "some" books with a differing point of view than mine. I don't enjoy the books that are an extreme one sided view and all they do is bash the other view/side.

Have you ever watched an old TV series called 30 Days? I haven't seen all the episodes but it put people who had opposing views on things and switched their lives for 30 days. They truly got a feel for how it is the wear the shoe on the other foot. It was a great concept. I wish more people had seen it.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0437696/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Days-The...UAAOSw8b9bla7c

I really liked both of those.

Me too
+1 for 30 days. It was a great show and I wish more people had seen it. I especially enjoyed one where an atheist mom switched with an evangelical Christian mom for 30 days.

I thought Beneath a Scarlet Sky was terrible, and was a story that would have been better told as narrative nonfiction by a more capable author. Because the underlying story itself was interesting. Gentleman in Moscow was magnificent. The best of current literary fiction.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
I picked up a copy of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which has been on my TBR for several years. I think it was a best-seller for quite a while but I rarely read books when they first come out. Anyway, after a slow start, it's growing on me and I really like it. The writing is witty and sharp. It has a reincarnation/time travel angle, so if you don't like that sort of thing, it's probably not for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-After-No.../dp/0316176494

Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I picked up a copy of Life After Life by Kate Atkinson, which has been on my TBR for several years. I think it was a best-seller for quite a while but I rarely read books when they first come out. Anyway, after a slow start, it's growing on me and I really like it. The writing is witty and sharp. It has a reincarnation/time travel angle, so if you don't like that sort of thing, it's probably not for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Life-After-No.../dp/0316176494
I've had this sitting in my TBR pile for several years. A friend whose opinion I trust said it was fantastic. But I just haven't gotten around to it.

Old 09-13-2018, 10:14 PM

3,831 posts, read 1,781,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

I thought Beneath a Scarlet Sky was terrible, and was a story that would have been better told as narrative nonfiction by a more capable author. Because the underlying story itself was interesting. Gentleman in Moscow was magnificent. The best of current literary fiction.
It has over 20,000 reviews on Amazon with a high rating. ( and will soon be a movie as well)

What's not to like? Its based on a true story. Pino Lella was a brave man and his story was well told. I have read so many WWII books from the Europeans point of view but not the Italians.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
It has over 20,000 reviews on Amazon with a high rating. ( and will soon be a movie as well)

What's not to like? Its based on a true story. Pino Lella was a brave man and his story was well told. I have read so many WWII books from the Europeans point of view but not the Italians.
He couldn't decide whether he wanted to write a piece of narrative nonfiction or a novel. So, he called it a novel because he didn't want to bother with getting all of the details right. As a novel, it didn't quite work because he had too many characters that didn't play enough of a role in the story. But then he tries to sell the novel as a true story -- which is it?

It needed some editing, and it was obvious why it was published via amazon publishing instead of through one of the major publishers.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:06 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
I'm about 40% into Woodward's book. I was No. 14 out of 600+ on the Kindle hold list at my library. Interesting details, not just the teasers precluding the release. Also, got the one on creepy Pence. I recommend Everything trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson. It's informative and highly entertaining.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
I'm about 40% into Woodward's book. I was No. 14 out of 600+ on the Kindle hold list at my library. Interesting details, not just the teasers precluding the release. Also, got the one on creepy Pence. I recommend Everything trump Touches Dies by Rick Wilson. It's informative and highly entertaining.
Which one is the one on Pence?
I started Fear, as well. Only a few chapters in, though.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Which one is the one on Pence?
I started Fear, as well. Only a few chapters in, though.
The Shadow President by Michael D'Antonio. I just started when Fear became available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books