Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2018, 07:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post

ETA: Hahaha! I'm narcissistic-quoting the quote that I wrote I refused to narcis...never mind.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:52 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Quick Change

Emerald sea / John Ringo, 1963-, c2004, Baen Books.

Subjects
  • Mermen -- Fiction.
  • Fascism -- Fiction.
  • Despotism -- Fiction.
  • Political fiction.
Length
  • 441 pages ;
Light reading, science fiction. The Fascism connection is how I got to this one. Ringo is a staple of military SF - this one gives him more room to muse on politics, government, relationships, the dangers of overreliance on high technology. An interesting read. This is the second of a series - our library has the first. More light reading, yippee!

Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Just wanted some brainless reading so read Crichton's Sphere, which despite glaring plot holes was enjoyable, so then I moved on to Next: a novel, not enjoying it as much so far.

Audio books are The First 20 Minutes (fitness book) and it is "meh", and Spy Secrets that Can Save Your Life, which I am enjoying.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-19-2018, 10:32 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
Pachinko, by Min Jin Lee. I am about half way through & enjoying it very much.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
+1 for 30 days. It was a great show and I wish more people had seen it. I especially enjoyed one where an atheist mom switched with an evangelical Christian mom for 30 days.

I thought Beneath a Scarlet Sky was terrible, and was a story that would have been better told as narrative nonfiction by a more capable author. Because the underlying story itself was interesting. Gentleman in Moscow was magnificent. The best of current literary fiction.
That's exactly how I felt. I do notice, when you read through reviews there are a bunch of people saying it was fabulous and then a lot saying "what? did we read the same book? the writing is terrible".

My book club read it, and many did like it. I will say, I've read much better amateur fiction by high schoolers. Although the story is a good one, the poor/unimaginative writing ruined it for me.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
I just finished "Look Again" by Lisa Scottoline. A real page turner. The plot basically is a woman is coming home from work, picks up the mail and in it is a missing child flyer with a child's photo that is a dead-ringer for her own son. And the story goes from there. A little disappointing how zany and mad cap (think Girl with the Dragon Tattoo style writing) it gets at the end, but if you need a book for a long plane flight, this is a good bet.

I'm about 1/4 way through "All Over But the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg. Non-fiction memoir of growing up dirt poor in Appalacia. Currently he's a writer for the New York Times. Incredibly well-written, sometimes quite melancholy.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
THat is my next book club read. I am pushing myself now to read Eleanor and Hick. It started out pretty interesting but it's getting bogged down in details that I don't find very meaningful. Still a very fascinating story. Not sure what I think of it (and I am at 40%).

I read a few things by Rick Bragg and really enjoyed his writing . I know I read All Over But the Shoutin and totally enjoyed it. I think that might have been the first book I read of his, Really a good story teller and what a childhood.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:25 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's exactly how I felt. I do notice, when you read through reviews there are a bunch of people saying it was fabulous and then a lot saying "what? did we read the same book? the writing is terrible".

My book club read it, and many did like it. I will say, I've read much better amateur fiction by high schoolers. Although the story is a good one, the poor/unimaginative writing ruined it for me.
YES. I think people who don't read a lot of high quality fiction like it. They seem to confuse some of what the real Pino had done with making a good novel. But had the author written a good novel heavily inspired by the real Pino, he could have omitted certain characters that didn't add to the story and certain things that happened that weren't really relevant. Instead, he wrote what is actually narrative nonfiction, but called it a novel because he couldn't substantiate everything in it. And then wanted it both ways by constantly emphasizing the it was a true story, even though he categorized it as a novel. It was published by one of amazon's publishing arms, so it wasn't good enough to get through traditional publishing, and it shows. I agree with you it was very amateurish.

And it is odd how people seem personally offended that not everyone is in love with the book.

I read it for my neighborhood book club, and we had a small turnout. But others did generally like it. That book club, though, typically doesn't spend a lot of time discussing the books that are read.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:28 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
I've heard lots of great things about Pachinko. My book club is reading that one in a few months -- I think it is our read for our December meeting. We alternate fiction with nonfiction -- October is Crazy Rich Asians, which I will start soon. Then Michael Pollan's latest, How to Change Your Mind (or something similar), and I think Pachinko is the selection after that one.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
That was has been on my list for a long time. Enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just finished "Look Again" by Lisa Scottoline. A real page turner. The plot basically is a woman is coming home from work, picks up the mail and in it is a missing child flyer with a child's photo that is a dead-ringer for her own son. And the story goes from there. A little disappointing how zany and mad cap (think Girl with the Dragon Tattoo style writing) it gets at the end, but if you need a book for a long plane flight, this is a good bet.

I'm about 1/4 way through "All Over But the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg. Non-fiction memoir of growing up dirt poor in Appalacia. Currently he's a writer for the New York Times. Incredibly well-written, sometimes quite melancholy.
Rick Bragg has so many good books that are on my list to read. I really need to try one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
YES. I think people who don't read a lot of high quality fiction like it.
I like both kinds of fiction but many of the well written fiction stories are like listening to a long winded person Just get to the point already I'm more about the story than the writing in a lot of cases...but we all enjoy different things

Right now I am reading The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan. It is a YA with some fantasy. A mother commits suicide and her daughter thinks she turned into a bird to leave her clues about the past. It's an easy read and one that I am enjoying.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...color-of-after
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books