Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2022, 12:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times

Advertisements

October is my ghost stories month. This year it's been hit and miss -- lots of misses. These two that I am presently into are showing promise:

Reading: "Little Sister Death," by William Gay

My first reading of this author. I learned it was published posthumously, so I am wondering if he was ready to have it published. (Normally I avoid posthumously published books for that reason.) Apparently William Gay was quite a character, based on the introduction written by a friend who is also a writer. Gay's voice is different than most I read these days. It has a character reminiscent of my grandpa's circle of friends.

Listening to: "The Raven Boys," by Maggie Stiefvater

Also a new author for me. It has similarities to another book I left unfinished ("Blood to Poison," by Mary Watson), in that the protagonist is a young woman whose family thinks she is cursed, but this one seems more promising in her outcome. Watson's book was too dark and foreboding for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2022, 12:52 PM

10,990 posts, read 6,860,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Just started "Personal Librarian" co-written by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray. A fictional version of a true story. Enjoying it very much so far.
I just ordered this book from Amazon to be sent to my father. Something different than his usual. It's still difficult to get at his library so I went ahead and bought a used copy. Reviews are good!

Old 10-07-2022, 01:22 PM

3,108 posts, read 1,002,933 times
"Brain Allergies" by Philpott and Kalita.

Old 10-07-2022, 11:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 16,978,303 times
"Too much liberty leads both men and nations to slavery. More laws, less justice. Liberty is rendered even more precious by the recollection of servitude." - Marcus Tullius Cicero Quotes About Liberty, link. I had always wondered why names such as Cicero are familiar to me, and that lead me to read Rubicon: The Last Years of the Roman Republic by Tom Holland.

Interesting book, about the decline and fall of the Roman Republic. The Roman Republic lasted a long time, no question about it. Eventually, it deteriorated into factionalism, civil war and later, reconstituted as the Roman Empire. In its 378 pages, the book surveys a rather lengthy period of time, and suffers somewhat from a lack of focus. That being said, I do recommend it to serious history buffs. "Too much liberty leads both men and nations to slavery. More laws, less justice. Liberty is rendered even more precious by the recollection of servitude." - Marcus Tullius Cicero Quotes About Liberty, . I had always wondered why names such as Cicero are familiar to me, and that lead me to read.

Interesting book, about the decline and fall of the Roman Republic. The Roman Republic lasted a long time, no question about it. Eventually, it deteriorated into factionalism, civil war and later, reconstituted as the Roman Empire. In its 378 pages, the book surveys a rather lengthy period of time, and suffers somewhat from a lack of focus. That being said, I do recommend it to serious history buffs.

Old 10-08-2022, 01:28 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Still going through the classics so just read facts a few Edith Whartons.
Boy! She sure doesn't much go for happy endings.
In between, read A Brilliant Night of Stars and Ice, a Titanic story. Not bad
Not realizing that same subject was involved, doubled up on Titanic stories with The Second Mrs. Astor,
Also in the "not bad" category.
Both of those did lead me to spending time checking into non-fiction accounts of the disaster.
Both books did pretty well as to the facts.

Old 10-08-2022, 06:29 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Still going through the classics so just read facts a few Edith Whartons.
Boy! She sure doesn't much go for happy endings.
True. However, Ethan Frome is one of my favorite books ever.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:09 PM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
VaughanWilliams ---- Got a good laugh out of your last line. That's so true.

Old 10-09-2022, 10:01 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

438 posts, read 195,880 times

Old 10-10-2022, 05:34 AM

4,724 posts, read 4,415,751 times
Well I finished The Last Thing He Told Me . It was a great read, a real page turner.
I hadn't wanted to read it - I think the title just turned me off- but a friend said it was really good so I started it and got swept into it. I really enjoyed it, mostly, but as often happens with me when reading mysteries, I find that when it starts getting to the solution, that too much is either forced or requires too much suspending full reality and it gets tiresome. I know lots of that is just my experience but that's how I felt with this.
It was a good read, and I would have rated it more like a 4 or 4.5 star read, but once the ending came into play, for me it was more like a 3 or 3.5

Old 10-10-2022, 11:15 AM

8,752 posts, read 5,046,098 times
Anyone read a good thriller or mystery, that you were happy and surprised with the ending? I have read so many books that i enjoyed up until the ending, and then was disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books