Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 03:21 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
A little of the background as I know it, which MAY be wrong -

There is a group of people(amateurs) who write free pieces (stories, novellas) for the Kindle in the style of Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.

This woman, the author, wrote some/an erotic Twilight piece. She had a certain popularity, and so started this trilogy which had a following and she
managed to sell them on Kindle.

They really took off. I read articles about women on the Upper East Side (society types) secretly reading these things. They were not available in paper and those who wanted them/ordered them would have to pay hundreds of dollars for a special printing.

As word spread (they are supposed to be addictive and women all over are saying they could not put them down), they hit it big on best seller lists, and she struck a deal with a British publisher (she is Australian) for several million and they are now coming out in paperback.

That's the best that I can do now. Hope that helps.
There is talk about this being a new genre, so I don't think it is typical romance stuff that never attracted me.

Yes there are people who do that. I know one and her writing is just awful. She writes "erotic" stories on Kindle about vampires and similar topics.

I think that people who are signed with publishers are few and far between.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Like I said in a previous post, I haven't read these books, nor will I (they're just not my thing), but I had a chuckle today when I read the New York Times Magazine. Those of you who have read Unorthodox (as I have) will find this funny too.

50 Shades of Oy Vey

By David Sax

“Fifty Shades of Grey,” the fetishistic best seller, took off in the Orthodox Jewish community before it became a sensation, says Paul Bogaards, a spokesman for Vintage Books, its publisher. Surprised? Don’t be, says Gavriel, the proprietor of koshersextoys.net. (He declined to give his last name.) “It is truly interesting,” he says, “how wrong the perception is that religious people — just because they tend to be more outwardly conservative — are less likely to be into all kinds of crazy stuff!”

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/03/ma...-magazine.html

Old 06-04-2012, 11:17 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
It does say a lot about the reading level of the average American.
These same unfortunate souls also watch The Kardashians and The Bachelorette. To add insult to injury, they think what they're seeing is real.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
for all of you that enjoyed fifty shades and the content(sex) in the book which i do like,im married over 25 years and still enjoy an excellent sex,but anyway those of you who enjoy erotic books,there is group on facebook called"what to read after fifty shades" and sometimes they post free erotic books to download to devices. most of them are for kindle but i was able to download the free app on my ipod touch. just to let you know.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:23 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
There was an article in some New York City newspaper about hardware stores witnessing a rush on sales of cotton rope to women.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Dizzamn.
Even the white zin ain't safe!

Speaking of... I've heard there is a drinking game for this book. You take a sip or a shot every time a character "murmurs."

I haven't read it. I picked it up, read the first paragraph, and put it right back on the shelf. Even if it had an amazing plot and complex characters, it wouldn't be for me because I don't like books written in the present tense.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,373 times
I like 50 shades of Grey when it was called 9 1/2 weeks

Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
There was an article in some New York City newspaper about hardware stores witnessing a rush on sales of cotton rope to women.
Good grief. Bondage wasn't invented yesterday. Does middle America really have such boring, unimaginative sex lives that they never could have come up with any of this stuff on their own?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,509 times
Gosh, I'm halfway through book#1 and I'm bored stiff. I really wanted to "fancy" Christian Grey, but he's making me miss Mr. Grey (Secretary) a bit too much. And the female character, I couldn't feel less identified with her. They both seem childish, innocuous and ridiculous to me.

Okay, maybe I was expecting a bit too much in the way of character depth and development, which is always a mistake these days and particularly so when we're dealing with "erotic" fiction, but the story itself... The sex... Hilarious to say the least. Utterly unbelievable.

Will this get any better? I sure hope so.

Sadly, I've never read a book dealing with BDSM that I've found completely convincing, except for Story of O which was, I thought, beautiful but terribly sad (and more romantic than erotic, IMO)... And maybe Story of The Eye, which I wouldn't label BDSM-y but whatever. Justine was disappointing, the Sleeping Beauty series was so-so, Cherise Sinclair might be fun (even erotica-wise at times) but it's subpar literature... And then, apparently, Fifty Shades of Grey is subpar literature that's neither fun nor erotic.

Have I mentioned that the writing is abysmal? Nothing turns me off as much, and as irreversibly, as bad writing skills do. If you're being paid to write, shouldn't you excel?

Perhaps this is Twilight for the non-vanillas, although the bloodless, fang-less, "vegetarian" and tedious vampires might be sexier, and more risqué, than Christian and Anastasia here.

(BTW Anonymous: no, I'm not recommending Twilight lol)

Last edited by noela; 06-10-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Take away all the BDSM (which is the titillating part, afterall), and you've still got a loathsome control-freak billionaire who (yes) is seriously immature and downright stalkerish. And the female protagonist is kind of a twit. Okay not kind of. Is a twit. Their romance is so unlikely and kind of creepy. And their email communications...please. I know of no man who would ever change the subject heading of every email, let alone his email signature each time. Most women wouldn't either. The fantasy is not based on anything remotely real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books