Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 PM

841 posts, read 1,917,729 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read this? I just finished it. I liked it because I enjoy books set in the South but I think the last third of the book dragged a little. I'm not too happy with the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
You know, I liked it but I didn't love it. I didn't enjoy the ending either. The whole theme of the "white savior" in the story was a little tiresome, as was the unevenness of the "pidgin" dialogue from the black characters. Overall it was not bad, and a quick read, but I didn't LOVE it.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I thought the ending was weak as well, but I did love the rest of it. I grew up in Jackson, moving to Belhaven in late 1963, went to Power Elementary, and lived at 1745 Myrtle Street (where Hilly lived, but it was not the chi-chi place as described. There were a couple of big houses and some money there, but mostly young families in 1300 square foot houses). It is a beautiful neighborhood, though, and a fabulous place to grow up - but then again, I consider that whole era to have been a fabulous time to grow up. It was a great way to revisit the places of my childhood and I think that's why I have to say it is a favorite book of mine.

I have to say - I do not remember any outdoor bathrooms for The Help, or bathrooms in garages, or any of that. I DO recall separate drinking fountains. I also do not recall any disrespect, at least from my family and my friends' families, toward The Help. My mama would have knocked me through a wall if I'd given one bit of lip to anyone of any color. Perhaps Ms. Stockett talked with people from another area of Jackson, or a great deal of literary license was used? She's 12 years younger than I am, so the story definitely is not built off personal experience. Ms. Stockett wasn't even born in 1963.

Was it an accurate portrayal? I'm not totally sure. I was very young, too young to catch all the nuances. My father is now 80 years old and we've discussed all of this; he doesn't exactly recall things the way they were portrayed either, although he admits to a great deal of racial hysteria during and after the Evers murder, the King assassination, etc.

All in all, I think it is a very, very good book - but I'm with the rest of the world, the ending was not what I wanted it to be....even though I'm not sure what I wanted it to be!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I
I have to say - I do not remember any outdoor bathrooms for The Help, or bathrooms in garages, or any of that. I DO recall separate drinking fountains. I also do not recall any disrespect, at least from my family and my friends' families, toward The Help. My mama would have knocked me through a wall if I'd given one bit of lip to anyone of any color. Perhaps Ms. Stockett talked with people from another area of Jackson, or a great deal of literary license was used? She's 12 years younger than I am, so the story definitely is not built off personal experience. Ms. Stockett wasn't even born in 1963.
You see, if you have class, you don't have to talk down to people who work for you. It's those people who are insecure who have to be uppity.

Your mama sounds like she was a lady.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
There's a long thread on this book from a couple of years ago: "The Help"

Old 04-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Thank you! ^^

Old 04-14-2012, 11:50 PM

652 posts, read 1,052,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
You know, I liked it but I didn't love it. I didn't enjoy the ending either. The whole theme of the "white savior" in the story was a little tiresome, as was the unevenness of the "pidgin" dialogue from the black characters. Overall it was not bad, and a quick read, but I didn't LOVE it.
Agree about the white savior character. Plus I think it is tremendously hard to write a character like that without it becoming tiresome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books