Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

I would say I usually check out like 7 -10 a month and sometimes more depending on what time of year it is . If I go for a run in the am and then a run in the pm and then a book on both the am and pm run and that way I can get a few books read in a weeks time . I love the library Im so glad we have one . My old town started shutting librarys down and moving them out of where they were .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 PM

398 posts, read 698,168 times
There is a very satisfying feeling about walking out of the library with an armful of books. Doesn't even matter if I wind up reading all of them -- the wheat will get separated from the chaff somehow, and I will feel just as full from reading whatever books I did read. The armful just represents the opportunity for me, and I can look forward to long days/nights with my head in a book. I also have this "issue" with books on my bed -- I like to have all manner of books in bed with me at the same time, *just in case*!

Old 11-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 2 days ago)

436 posts, read 195,488 times
Right now, I have over 20 books and 2 movies checked out from two library systems.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:15 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I used to check out 10 or so but got so tired of lugging them around...started buying books used for $3 and change from thriftbooks.com. Now they are delivered to me. Plus no gas and time used up. And, I get to reread at some point.

The library is also 25 miles away for me now.

Old 11-27-2017, 03:52 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
I used to live 4 blocks from the library and would often check out around 10 books at a time and had 3 weeks to read them. I live across town now and have an online library account, plus a Kindle, and subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, so I mostly read on my Kindle, but love the convenience of being able to renew if necessary the actual paper books online.

I have about 3,000 books on my Kindle, so I don't borrow as many at a time these days. I usually borrow a newer one and read one of those older ones that I own, then remove them from my Kindle. I only read paper books if that is the only version available.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:19 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
About 2-300 in the past ten years, all from the library, except for a small handful acquired in other ways, but never bought at retail. If I request a partricular book, the library will buy it, provided they think it is a valid addition to their collection.

Last edited by cebuan; 12-15-2017 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 01:08 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Probably hundreds in a week.¨
I am a library assistant.

Old 12-16-2017, 02:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
I have 14 library books to read on my Kindle, at various points during the next 21 days. The reason there are so many now is because the library must wait until the end of the year to add new books to its collection. Eight of them are books I recommended for purchase at different points in 2017. It's nice they bought so many books I wanted, but 14 is a lot to read over a three week period.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Alice McDermott's latest, The Ninth Hour, a story of a family and the nuns who've supported them throughout their lives. I love Alice McDermott's writing both for her storytelling (I'm 1/2 Irish Catholic) and her elegant, informative sentence writing.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-16-2017 at 03:15 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 03:05 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have 14 library books to read on my Kindle, presumably within 21 days. The reason there are so many now is because the library must wait until the end of the year to add new books to its collection. Eight of them are books I recommended for purchase at different points in 2017. It's nice they bought so many books I wanted, but 14 is a lot to read over a three week period.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Alice McDermott's latest, The Ninth Hour, a story of a family and the nuns who've supported them throughout their lives. I love Alice McDermott's writing both for her storytelling (I'm 1/2 Irish Catholic) and her elegant, informative sentence writing.
Does your library not have a Pause option on e-books? That way, you don't have to borrow them as soon as they're available but you also don't have to cancel your hold and lose your place in line.

I currently have many e-books on hold at the library; for four of them, I'm #1 in the queue. (We're #1, hey! ) When one becomes available and I borrow it, I'll put two of the other three on Pause. That way, only one will (might) become available to me while I'm still reading the first book. For the others -- the ones that I put on Pause -- I will remain as #1 in the queue when I remove the Pause.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:25 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Does your library not have a Pause option on e-books? That way, you don't have to borrow them as soon as they're available but you also don't have to cancel your hold and lose your place in line.

I currently have many e-books on hold at the library; for four of them, I'm #1 in the queue. (We're #1, hey! ) When one becomes available and I borrow it, I'll put two of the other three on Pause. That way, only one will (might) become available to me while I'm still reading the first book. For the others -- the ones that I put on Pause -- I will remain as #1 in the queue when I remove the Pause.
What do you know, Dawn. I just went and did that. I won't get any new books for another two weeks. Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books