Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 05:25 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
This is a book that I had to put aside. I tried to like it, but, just couldn't do it.
Was it because of the writing? The story?

My order got cancelled and I didn't yet order another copy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 04:26 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Was it because of the writing? The story?

My order got cancelled and I didn't yet order another copy.
IMO, it was like listening to some young girls acting silly. And, the dad!

SPOILER;

Here's a review on the same things I didn't understand: They are talking about the dad.

The chapter which dealt with him, solely, left me with little insight as to his coldness toward his family, other than he held learning and knowledge above all else, and, therefore, I had little understanding of him and the forces at play in his life. His pedophilia seemed to be accepted by all, including the writer, but I found it disturbing and inexplicable. Why was he constantly drawn to the teenage girls in his classes? This was not clarified. For a man who held learning and knowledge above all, why did he long for relationships with young women, who were not particularly highly educated or intelligent, and were the same age as his daughters? While at the same time, he ignored his daughters to the point of heartlessness.

But, I've read that in the end, it (the story) was tied together. Now, I'm thinking I need to read the darn thing again! I have to know how it was tied together. I know I read to at least 100 pages, so I could start from there. ...................

Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:

SPOILER;

Here's a review on the same things I didn't understand: They are talking about the dad.

The chapter which dealt with him, solely, left me with little insight as to his coldness toward his family, other than he held learning and knowledge above all else, and, therefore, I had little understanding of him and the forces at play in his life. His pedophilia seemed to be accepted by all, including the writer, but I found it disturbing and inexplicable. Why was he constantly drawn to the teenage girls in his classes? This was not clarified. For a man who held learning and knowledge above all, why did he long for relationships with young women, who were not particularly highly educated or intelligent, and were the same age as his daughters? While at the same time, he ignored his daughters to the point of heartlessness.

But, I've read that in the end, it (the story) was tied together. Now, I'm thinking I need to read the darn thing again! I have to know how it was tied together. I know I read to at least 100 pages, so I could start from there. ...................
Now I understand!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 PM

531 posts, read 501,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBurn View Post
My 5 best books are all by West Virginia writers, as I am a lover of all things West Virginia!
Do give the writers of W.Va. a "look", as well as others in your vicinity, they may not all be best selling but, can be entertaining and informative.
If you haven't already, check out Breece D'J Pancake's story collection. It's fantastic.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Hemingway- A farewell to Arms
Hemingway- The old man and the sea
Hienlien- Stranger in a strange land
The history of the United States Navy in World War II I can't remember the author.
It's hard to sum up the best 5. Every book is unique and enjoyable for different reasons. I first learned to read for pleasure by reading Robert A Heinlein. Edgar Rice Burroughs is another author that for a young reader spun a great tale. Factually inaccurate to be sure LOL but a great stories for young readers.
Out of the Ashes by William Johnstone was a good read.
Most rescently Death Spiral by james Boedeker rocked me pretty good. I am married to a thai national and go to Thailand every year. Death Spiral's setting is Thailand. The author captured the parts of the Thai culture well. He also showed how our greatest warriors are used up and thrown away. I loved the book.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:

SPOILER;

I agree with your assessment so far but you do need to finish the book if you want to understand because it really does come together. The interesting part is that he has this recurrent problem and he hates that he is like this, but never actually sleeps with any of the girls (who are all around 17 or 18)--it's all a fantasy. I think he is a personality type that I've seen several times in my life and I came away with a bit more insight into his character. I also loved his growing friendship with his son-in-law, a man who is very clear as to the type of man his FIL is but loves him anyway. To me that is the most beautiful part of the book. The chapter about the mother really pulls it together and puts it all into perspective.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I agree with your assessment so far but you do need to finish the book if you want to understand because it really does come together. The interesting part is that he has this recurrent problem and he hates that he is like this, but never actually sleeps with any of the girls (who are all around 17 or 18)--it's all a fantasy. I think he is a personality type that I've seen several times in my life and I came away with a bit more insight into his character. I also loved his growing friendship with his son-in-law, a man who is very clear as to the type of man his FIL is but loves him anyway. To me that is the most beautiful part of the book. The chapter about the mother really pulls it together and puts it all into perspective.
My library got the Kindle version, so I will be reading this book.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,422 times
The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck
The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Gone With the Wind - Margaret Mitchell
The Caine Mutiny - Herman Wouk
In Cold Blood- Truman Capote

Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
Pulling Your Own Strings - Wayne Dyer
Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet
The White Mountains - John Christopher
The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Sogyal Rinpoche
Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel García Márquez

Old 08-10-2012, 10:22 AM

11 posts, read 23,687 times
LoL- I'm a voracious reader, so I couldn't even begin to narrow it down to my 5 favorite books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books