Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 06:13 AM

33 posts, read 57,270 times

Advertisements

Silas Marner by George Eliot. I had to read it for my sophomore year in high school. I honestly did not care for the selected works that my teacher chose that year. I did enjoy reading Jack London's works while I was conducting research for a paper that she required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:21 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,669,774 times
Moby Dick was the worst book I've ever read. Ugh.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:18 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
It sounds cliche to say "War and Peace" but I've had it for 20+ years and never finished the thing. But I have a couple dozen books I never finished, mostly on medieval European or pre-Columbian Western history.

Most mind-numbing book I've actually finished was Faulkner's "The Bear", required reading in HS. That book made me appreciate Hemingway a lot :-)

Old 01-20-2014, 01:42 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,268 times
I've been on a Dean Koontz kick lately and every story I read I feel would make a great movie.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:56 PM

5,132 posts, read 4,482,437 times
OMG, there are so many. How can I limit it to one?

The majority of my high school literature required reading list was excruciatingly boring. I couldn't even put them down since I had papers to write about them, or had to participate in class discussions about them. It was total torture getting through these "masterpieces."

I think I may have been especially traumatized by these, since they came to mind right away:

Ulysses
Finnegan's Wake
Moby Dick
Billy Budd
Le Morte d'Arthur
Ivanhoe
Don Quixote
To the Lighthouse

Old 01-21-2014, 08:32 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,460,620 times
Maybe because I was in my teens, but "Metamorphosis" bored and frankly annoyed the heck out of me. It was required reading for my HS lit class. Most recent that comes to mind "The Colored Sisters Came To Town" by Jacqueline Guidry. I tried really hard to stick with it, but it was a painfully boring read that was going nowhere glad I skipped to the end which turned out to be even more fulfilling.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:21 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
Abba Eban by Abba Eban. I had such high hopes for this book but it was the most boring book I ever read. I guess I was expecting something similar to Moshe Dayan's biography.

And there lies the difference between a politician and a military man. Eban was in awe of himself and the same cannot be said about Dayan.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:13 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasColoradoOhio View Post
Silas Marner by George Eliot.
NO! That's one of my favorite books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Moby Dick was the worst book I've ever read. Ugh.
At least you finished it. I can't get past about page 30.

Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
OMG, there are so many. How can I limit it to one?

The majority of my high school literature required reading list was excruciatingly boring. I couldn't even put them down since I had papers to write about them, or had to participate in class discussions about them. It was total torture getting through these "masterpieces."

I think I may have been especially traumatized by these, since they came to mind right away:

Ulysses
Finnegan's Wake
Moby Dick
Billy Budd
Le Morte d'Arthur
Ivanhoe
Don Quixote
To the Lighthouse
You were seriously assigned Finnegans Wake in high school? I thought that 99.9% of everyone found that completely incomprehensible. (Unless you've had a few shots of bushmills, that is. )

Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,059,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
I've been on a Dean Koontz kick lately and every story I read I feel would make a great movie.
Um, did you miss the title of this thread?

Most of you have mentioned "classic lit," so I will just mention a more recent "literary" novel that I've seen on a lot of you-absolutely-must-read-this-book lists (which I find stunning): Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible. So many people raved about it that I tried to get into it, but I was bored out of my mind.

BTW, I had the same reaction to The Hunger Games. EVERYONE I knew who had read it went on and on and on about how amazing it was, so I got it for my Kindle and was bored silly. I couldn't care less about any of the characters and just gave up after a couple of chapters.

But maybe I am the exception when it comes to those 2 books?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books