Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:18 AM

812 posts, read 736,425 times

Advertisements

I am warming up to the idea of e-readers, but for my favorite authors I love collecting the paper books. Plus e-readers tend to hurt my eyes after a longer session...and don't have to rely on a battery with a hard copy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:04 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,844,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Taco64 View Post
I am warming up to the idea of e-readers, but for my favorite authors I love collecting the paper books. Plus e-readers tend to hurt my eyes after a longer session...and don't have to rely on a battery with a hard copy!
Really,an E-ink e-reader bothers your eyes? It is the exact opposite for me,as I can read for much longer periods in more comfort than with a paper book,but what I love even more,is the ability to enlarge the text size,and the fact that I can hold a book with many more pages in total ease!

However,I would only choose an e-reader with E-ink to read on, absolutely not a backlit computer type LCD screen tablet like the Kindle Fire.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 PM

327 posts, read 568,743 times
I pretty much only read books on paper.
Some really good deals at local book sales, like trade paperbacks in really nice condition for $1 or $2.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
I still read paper books but I don't buy them anymore. There's simply no more storage in my house for books. So, when I a book I want to read has only paper version, I just borrow from the library.

I credit my Kindle for spiking my reading frequency. It's simply too easy to smack that 'buy' button when the prices are so low, some of them are even free, then voila! The book is downloaded right in front of you within seconds. I love the ease of taking hundreds of books in one small device that I can pull up anywhere when reading time is available (doctor's office, lunch time, waiting for my shuttlle, etc).

Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I still read paper books but I don't buy them anymore. There's simply no more storage in my house for books. So, when I a book I want to read has only paper version, I just borrow from the library.

I credit my Kindle for spiking my reading frequency. It's simply too easy to smack that 'buy' button when the prices are so low, some of them are even free, then voila! The book is downloaded right in front of you within seconds. I love the ease of taking hundreds of books in one small device that I can pull up anywhere when reading time is available (doctor's office, lunch time, waiting for my shuttlle, etc).
LOL - I've had my Kindle since January and I still haven't paid for anything-zip-nada, the Freebies keep flowing in. I get 2 or 3 emails a day, telling me about new ones. I read them and send them to the Cloud.

But a 3rd book of a trilogy is coming out in July - I have plans to actually pay for one!

I gave all my physical books away (except for about 30 special ones that went into storage) to a local high school last November in the process of downsizing the house. It's weird - I have absolutely no books in the house at all. I miss the look, I miss the smell, and I miss the insulation

I still have lots of credits with Paperbookswap .com, so I can start collecting again when I settle.

Wait - I have one actual book. The local telephone book is in a drawer somewhere ...

Old 05-16-2014, 12:26 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
I really dislike reading online.That's not real reading imo.

Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,293 times
For all you e-readers, there's a great website called Books on the Knob @ Books on the Knob that gives daily tips of deals and free eBooks. You can subscribe to the RSS feed and get its contents daily.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,956 times
I prefer paper books than e-books. I like the feeling of the book in my hands and the feeling of changing the pages, the smell of the paper [pages] and placing a cool book marker where I've finished in my book. Also, a shelf with all the books I've read with their different subjects, titles, sizes and colors being displayed is satisfying.

E-books are OK and convenient because you can have many, many books and magazines on your device. If you're on a long flight or train trip this may be better for you instead of toting around a Barnes and Noble store.

-Cheers.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:49 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,900 times
I only read books on paper and enjoy many of same things MountainBiking mentioned. There's just something about holding a book in your hand that feels right to me.
And i can throw it in my backpack and not worry about it!!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:05 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Not every book smells nice. Some of the ones with glossy pages smell like a toxic waste dump. And it never goes away.

I like reading novels on kindle, but I prefer real books otherwise. I'm reading a book by a Watergate investigator on kindle now, and it would be so much easier if I could go back and forth to the cast of characters I assume I'd find in the front of the real book. It's a PITA to go back and forth on kindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books