Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:19 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times

Advertisements

A book I read within the last year that is set in New England and very well researched, I belive was called "Lousia", about the life and family of Louisa May Alcott. It really held my interest and will give you a good background of her family and the feel of life in her lifetime. If you liked Little Women you will like this story about Louisa and her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:28 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Here are a couple of sites I found just Googling historical fiction. Over 5000 Historical Novels Listed by Time and Place
http://historicalnovelsociety.org/

There's a website I can't seem to find that lists them by time period. This is how I found the Fidelma books - it said 7th century - Ireland. Bingo!

Old 03-07-2014, 04:52 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,486 times
Sounds like you need to stick to 18th or 19th century English or American literature. Are you also interested in Jane Austen and Dickens? You can't go wrong with them for your taste in books. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
I never did like to read. However here is an author that will reach out and grab you and take you along for the ride and it is one heck of a ride: One for the Money | Janet Evanovich. She wrote a whole series and I loved every one.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I never did like to read. However here is an author that will reach out and grab you and take you along for the ride and it is one heck of a ride: One for the Money | Janet Evanovich. She wrote a whole series and I loved every one.
Agreed. A fast, hilariously funny series. If nothing else, you'll come away with a whole new definition of the phrase 'playing choo-choo' Read them in numerical order.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
I can't seem to find out when and where this will be shown outside the US and I live in Scotland. It is/was being filmed about 60 miles away from me as well!

There is a huge Outlander group on Goodreads.
I'm not sure if the first season will be seen outside the US.
Perhaps you'll get it a year or so later as we do with a lot of UK series? That or when the dvd's are available. I would send an email to Starz, or find an official forum where somebody who knows more than I will be able to tell you.

Here's a link to the tv series production: STARZ - Outlander - A STARZ Original Series

Trailer (alternate ending): STARZ - Outlander - A STARZ Original Series

Old 03-07-2014, 08:25 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm so frustrated cause I want to find a decent book that I can get into. I don't like Thrillers/mystery or horror. Usually don't like modern day setting (prefer more like "Little Women" type settings) but if it's good I'll give it a try. I tried East of Eden, was bored to tears, tried Cosmopolis and dear lord that was not for me! I guess I'm more of a time period kinda girl (60's or earlier) but I just don't know what's out there. I need some suggestions! I also enjoy books set in New England. Help!
I agree with everyone who recommended Goodreads. Join, list some of the books you've read recently that you enjoyed and check out the recommendations that come in based on what you like. If you create bookshelfs with the books you've read, you'll get even more recommendations. And look for Listopia on Goodreads.

But you know, sometimes it's just hard to find a good book. Especially if you have a book or even a particular series that lingers in your mind, it can be hard to dislodge with just any old book. Good luck.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:28 PM

82 posts, read 302,219 times
Try The Cape Ann by Faith Sullivan. Reviews on Amazon.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,662,916 times
Sounds like you're looking for a novel rather than a biography. You might like the genre Victorian Mystery! Try a novel by contemporary mystery writer M. Louisa Locke who writes crime stories from San Francisco in the 1880s. Her first novel was called "Maids of Misfortune," and introduces the main characters Annie Fuller and Nate Dawson. The description of San Francisco in the 1880s seems so real you can almost smell the wind coming up from the bay! It's a really good first novel, and the second one, "Uneasy Spirits," is also worth reading, but I thought her 3rd novel, "Bloody Lessons," was downright riveting. I find myself looking forward to the fourth novel about Annie and Nate.

You have to order them through Amazon, Kindle or paperback: Amazon.com: M. Louisa Locke: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle

Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
I'm not sure if the first season will be seen outside the US.
Perhaps you'll get it a year or so later as we do with a lot of UK series? That or when the dvd's are available. I would send an email to Starz, or find an official forum where somebody who knows more than I will be able to tell you.

Here's a link to the tv series production: STARZ - Outlander - A STARZ Original Series

Trailer (alternate ending): STARZ - Outlander - A STARZ Original Series
I have asked all the official sites and also emailed. I'm sure it will be released on DVD eventually. Don't think I can subscribe to Starz online from UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books