Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 11:38 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,734,049 times

Advertisements

This thread is for general discussions and recommendations for biographies and autobiographies. My own primary concern at the moment is focused on people who are alive today, and/or lived through the 1960s - 1990s. Recommendations for some good books to read would be appreciated, as well as any interesting insights or stories you happen to recall from books you've read. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 02:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Do you want to pin it down a little in terms of subject? I don't often read bios of contemporary people, and the only one I can think of offhand was DV by Diana Vreeland, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Do you want to pin it down a little in terms of subject? I don't often read bios of contemporary people, and the only one I can think of offhand was DV by Diana Vreeland, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.
I'd prefer not to narrow the thread down. I'd rather be surprised by ideas I hadn't thought of. For example: I had never heard of Diana Vreeland. I took a quick look at the Wiki page about her. I don't follow fashion, and I don't know if I will read her autobiography, but I'm considering it, thanks to you. What did you get from reading it? Anything you might be willing to share?

BTW: I'm writing a novel set in the time period from 1970s thru the near future. I'm basically interested in learning about influences on recent history that are not widely known or discussed in run-of-the-mill history classes. Small interesting details that help add depth to the unfolding of history, and bring to light multiple perspectives. I'll worry about focusing later. For right now I'm accepting inspiration from all realms of life.

Also: The thread does not have to be limited to just my current interests in modern recent history. If people want to chip in ideas from other periods of history, I won't object.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Always on Sunday Ed Sullivan

http://www.amazon.com/Always-Sunday-...9762997&sr=1-3

Sundays with Sullivan: How the Ed Sullivan Show Brought Elvis, the Beatles, and Culture to America by Bernie Ilson

http://www.amazon.com/Sundays-Sulliv...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Here's Johnny!: My Memories of Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show, and 46 Years of Friendship by Ed McMahon

http://www.amazon.com/Heres-Johnny-M...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

American Bandstand: Dick Clark and the Making of a Rock 'n' Roll Empire by John Jackson

http://www.amazon.com/American-Bands...9764224&sr=1-1

and I loved this book about the 50s-60s~If You Remember Metal Skates by Nancy Williams

Amazon.com: If You Remember Metal Skates (9781456349851): Nancy Williams: Books

and a different look at 60's America~

Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America by Firoozeh Dumas

Funny in Farsi: A Memoir of Growing Up Iranian in America: Firoozeh Dumas: 9780812968378: Amazon.com: Books

These Listopia Lists from Goodreads should give you some ideas...

Favorite memoirs/autobiographies

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...utobiographies

Best Memoir / Biography / Autobiography

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...y?page=7#46349

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 12-28-2014 at 04:04 AM..

Old 12-28-2014, 08:21 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,310,364 times
Night, Dawn, Day.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Night, Dawn, Day.
I assume you are referring to the trilogy by Eliezer Wiesel. I went to hear him speak at Kent State about a year ago. I have not yet read any of his books.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Always on Sunday Ed Sullivan

Always on Sunday Ed Sullivan: Michael David Harris: Amazon.com: Books

Sundays with Sullivan: How the Ed Sullivan Show Brought Elvis, the Beatles, and Culture to America by Bernie Ilson

Amazon.com: Sundays with Sullivan: How the Ed Sullivan Show Brought Elvis, the Beatles, and Culture to America (9781589795730): Bernie Ilson: Books

Here's Johnny!: My Memories of Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show, and 46 Years of Friendship by Ed McMahon

Here's Johnny!: My Memories of Johnny Carson, The Tonight Show, and 46 Years of Friendship: Ed McMahon: 9781401602369: Amazon.com: Books

American Bandstand: Dick Clark and the Making of a Rock 'n' Roll Empire by John Jackson

American Bandstand: Dick Clark and the Making of a Rock 'n' Roll Empire: John Jackson: 9780195130898: Amazon.com: Books

and I loved this book about the 50s-60s~If You Remember Metal Skates by Nancy Williams

Amazon.com: If You Remember Metal Skates (9781456349851): Nancy Williams: Books
Thanks for the suggestions. The central character in my novel will be a rock musician, so these would probably be of interest to me. So far, for musicians, I've read biographies about Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Jim Morrison, and Sam Cutler (tour manager for Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc.). The book by Nancy Williams also looks interesting. It sounds like its well-written and captures the feel of the era - which is one of the goals of my current project.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:58 AM

BTW: If any of you have some autobiographical stories from your own life that you've got stuffed away in a drawer, I'd be happy to read some sample paragraphs, if you're willing to share.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
So far, for musicians, I've read biographies about Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Jim Morrison, and Sam Cutler (tour manager for Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc.).
Don't forget Led Zeppelin!
Stairway to Heaven by Richard Cole (The band's tour manager for about 10 years)
Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis

Old 12-28-2014, 01:18 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. The central character in my novel will be a rock musician, so these would probably be of interest to me. So far, for musicians, I've read biographies about Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Madonna, Jim Morrison, and Sam Cutler (tour manager for Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, etc.). The book by Nancy Williams also looks interesting. It sounds like its well-written and captures the feel of the era - which is one of the goals of my current project.
You are most welcome and I hope you enjoy "If You Rember Metal Skates" as much as I did,it certainly took me back.

Good luck with your book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books