Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

For animal lovers I also recommend The Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson. It's about training and working with a search and rescue dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Death Be Not Proud (P.S.) New, John J. Gunther - Amazon.com

This is the first nonfiction book that I recall reading. My parents were great fans of journalist John J Gunther. "John Gunther was an American journalist and author whose success came primarily through a series of popular sociopolitical works known as the "Inside" books, including the best-selling Inside U.S.A. in 1947." (wiki)

When I was a child I loved looking through his "Inside" books. They were filled with photos.

The book mentioned above, Death Be Not Proud, is about his son Johnny who died at age 17 of a brain tumor. It's a very good book.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:00 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Just a couple for now. I'll come back later on with more. I'm a non-fiction person too. Oh, and I agree re: Bill Bryson. Everything I've read of his was enjoyable.

Both of these are by Erik Larson.

In the Garden of Beasts

The Devil in the White City

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I'm seeing some great possibilities already.
Couple more Erik Larson:
Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania
Isaac's Storm: A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History

Recently got on a New Orleans kick:
Empire of Sin: A Story of Sex, Jazz, Murder, and the Battle for Modern New Orleans by Gary Krist
The Great New Orleans Kidnapping Case: Race, Law, and Justice in the Reconstruction Era by Michael A. Ross
The Lost German Slave Girl: The Extraordinary True Story of Sally Miller and Her Fight for Freedom in Old New Orleans by John Bailey

Old 08-20-2015, 12:15 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
And while I'm on a roll here, William Least Heat-Moon's Blue Highways is a great "road trip" book. He concentrates on the little-known roads and byways (the blue lines on the map), obscure small towns and the experiences and people he encounters in out-of-the way places in America on a 13,000 mile road trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
For animal lovers I also recommend The Scent of the Missing by Susannah Charleson. It's about training and working with a search and rescue dog.
Added to my TBR list, thanks.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:52 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Just a couple for now. I'll come back later on with more. I'm a non-fiction person too. Oh, and I agree re: Bill Bryson. Everything I've read of his was enjoyable.

Both of these are by Erik Larson.

In the Garden of Beasts

The Devil in the White City

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I'm seeing some great possibilities already.
I forgot about Erik Larson - I just read both the above books and they were excellent. He also wrote a FANTASTIC book about the first Galveston hurricane called Isaac's Storm. I thought In the Garden of Beasts was his best book but Isaac's Storm was riveting as well.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:01 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Here's an excellent book about the history of the James River:
The River Where America Began: A Journey Along the James by Bob Deans | 9780742551732 | Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Very well written.

I also really enjoyed "Savage Kingdom" which is the history of the first settlements in Jamestown, VA.
Savage Kingdom by Benjamin Woolley

For those of us who love pirates and privateers and books about tall ships (count me in! My ancestor sailed with Captain Cook on the Endeavor so I come by it honestly!), these are excellent:
The Pirate Hunter: The True Story of Captain Kidd by Richard Zacks | 9781401398187 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble
Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly | 9780307763075 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble
The Republic of Pirates: Being the True and Surprising Story of the Caribbean Pirates and the Man Who Brought Them Down by Colin Woodard | 9780547415758 | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble

Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 PM

424 posts, read 430,807 times
"The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins

"Born to Run" (If you're a runner) by Chris McDougall

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I LOVE Bill Bryson and that particular book is one of my all time favorites. It's the first Bill Bryson book I ever bought and I bought it because it had me laughing OUT LOUD in the aisle of Barnes and Noble and I felt that if it was that good standing up in a store, I'd surely enjoy it sitting at home in comfort. Which I did.

If you liked that book, Lost Roses, you might also really enjoy this one:

Pennine Walkies by Mark Wallington

OK - it sounds really lame. I admit it. But it was a terrific read, full of gentle humor and very descriptive language. I loved it.
Bill Bryson, is hilarious, had me laughing out loud on the train. I enjoyed Notes from a small Island, and Sunburnt Country.

Other than that, off the top of my head.....

Into the Wild,
Guns, Germs and Steel.
Just Kids - Patti Smith
This Love is not for Cowards - Robert Powell This Love Is Not For Cowards: Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juárez: Robert Andrew Powell: 9781608197187: Amazon.com: Books
What the What - Acheck Deng What is the What: Dave Eggers: 9780307385901: Amazon.com: Books

Recently finished "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor http://www.amazon.com/Stalingrad-The.../dp/0140284583

Old 08-23-2015, 10:17 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Bill Bryson, is hilarious, had me laughing out loud on the train. I enjoyed Notes from a small Island, and Sunburnt Country.

Other than that, off the top of my head.....

Into the Wild,
Guns, Germs and Steel.
Just Kids - Patti Smith
This Love is not for Cowards - Robert Powell This Love Is Not For Cowards: Salvation and Soccer in Ciudad Juárez: Robert Andrew Powell: 9781608197187: Amazon.com: Books
What the What - Acheck Deng What is the What: Dave Eggers: 9780307385901: Amazon.com: Books

Recently finished "Stalingrad" by Antony Beevor Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege: 1942-1943: Antony Beevor: 9780140284584: Amazon.com: Books
Just Kids by Patti Smith is one of the best books I have ever read. I didn't expect to like it and had no idea who Patti Smith was. But, it grabbed me immediately and I could not put it down. Then, I was depressed because I had such a good time reading it and then it was over.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 08-23-2015 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Just Kids by Patti Smith is one of the best books I have ever read. I didn't expect to like it and had no idea who Patti Smith was. But, it grabbed me immediately and could not put it down. Then, I was depressed because I had such a good time reading it and then it was over.
I am a fan of her music, but didn't expect to love this book as much as I did.... and I agree, it was a bit feeling when finishing it. She is making it into a tv show for Showtime

Patti Smith: Godmother of punk to turn memoir Just Kids into TV series - People - News - The Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books