Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 10:39 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times

Advertisements

The making of Donald Trump / David Cay Johnston, 1948-, c2016, Melville House, 973.932 JOHN

Subjects

The making of Donald Trump (eBook, 2016) [WorldCat.org]
  • xvi, 263 pages ; chapter notes
(My emphasis)

An excellent primer on Trump, his rise, his obsessions.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-07-2016 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: please post link instead of copying text, thanks :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:15 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The making of Donald Trump / David Cay Johnston, 1948-, c2016, Melville House, 973.932 JOHN

Subjects
Maybe I'll try that book. My husband is in the hospital for the last two weeks and all I've been reading are samples of books that don't capture my attention through what is probably no fault of their own.

Last edited by katzenfreund; 12-07-2016 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: edited the text you quoted to include link

Old 12-08-2016, 05:23 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
The Boy on the Wooden Box. Self-Authored by L. Leyson (the boy) *****

Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Default So Good I Had to Buy It!

I love this book; I'd gotten it from the library (after waiting about 2 months...) and by the end of the first chapter I knew this was a 'must buy'. I honestly could not lay this book down until I'd finished it.

LAB GIRL by Hope Jahren

In “Lab Girl,” geochemist Hope Jahren combines beautiful writing and a comprehensive scientific background to craft a beautiful memoir of a life spent figuring things out . . .Deft and flecked with humor, “Lab Girl” is also a hybrid — a scientist’s memoir of a quirky, gritty, fascinating life punctuated by mesmerizing dispatches on botany. From the prologue on, a reader itches to call out fun facts to innocents nearby: “The average ocean plant is one cell that lives about twenty days. The average land plant is a two-ton tree that lives for more than one hundred years.

Lab Girl

Old 12-10-2016, 11:05 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:

Subjects

• xvi, 263 pages ; chapter notes
(My emphasis)

An excellent primer on Trump, his rise, his obsessions.
I read it but it was more a business biography, in my opinion, than a biography that gave insight into the man. I had read all that information before in articles. Maybe there is no 'there' there, though, to write about.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:23 PM

Default Zulu! & others

Diamonds, gold, and war : the British, the Boers, and the making of South Africa / Martin Meredith, c2007, Public Affairs, 968.0481 Mere.

Subjects

• South African War, 1899-1902 -- Causes.
  • Diamond industry and trade -- South Africa -- History -- 19th century.
  • Gold industry -- South Africa -- History -- 19th century.
  • Afrikaners -- South Africa -- History.
  • South African War, 1899-1902.
  • Great Britain -- Colonies -- Africa -- Administration.
  • Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- 1837-1901.
  • South Africa -- History -- 1836-1909.
  • South Africa -- Politics and government -- 1836-1909.
  • South Africa -- History.
Summary
  • A history of the tumultuous period leading up to the 1910 founding of the modern state of South Africa explores how the discovery of vast diamond and gold deposits led to a fierce struggle between the British and the Boers for control of the region.
Length xi, 570 pages, [16] pages of plates : maps, chapter notes, select bibliography, index

Excellent read, good on C. Rhodes, the various fortunes of UK & Boer arms against the Zulu & other natives, & each other. I read most of it - through C. Rhodes, the Boer wars. Rhodes is an odd one, but he did accomplish a lot. Very interesting history. The setting for Zulu, Breaker Morant, others.

Last edited by southwest88; 12-10-2016 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: Zulu! & others

Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Default It was the best of times, it was

1944 : FDR and the year that changed history / Jay Winik, 1957-, c2015, Simon & Schuster, 940.5373 WINI

Subjects

• Roosevelt, Franklin D. -- (Franklin Delano), -- 1882-1945 -- Influence.
  • World War, 1939-1945 -- United States.
  • Political leadership -- United States -- History -- 20th century.
  • Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
Notes
  • The sphinx -- Spring 1944 : everything all at once. Tehran ; "I want to sleep and sleep twelve hours a day" ; Escape, part 1 ; Escape, part 2 ; "This is the year 1944" ; "Could we be granted victory this year, 1944?" -- The road to 1944. Beginnings ; Mills of the gods ; Giant cemeteries ; Riegner ; 1943 ; "The acquiescence of this government in the murder of Jews" -- The fateful decision. Trapped between knowing and not knowing ; The wind and the silence -- 1945 -- Reckoning.
Summary
  • "Chronicles the events of 1944 to reveal how nearly the Allies lost World War II, citing the pivotal contributions of FDR, Churchill, and Stalin,"--Novelist.
  • It was not inevitable that World War II would end as it did, or that it would even end well. 1944 was a year that could have stymied the Allies and cemented Hitler's waning power. Instead, it saved those democracies--but with a fateful cost. 1944 witnessed a series of titanic events: FDR at the pinnacle of his wartime leadership as well as his reelection, the planning of Operation Overlord with Churchill and Stalin, the unprecedented D-Day invasion and the horrific Battle of the Bulge, and the tumultuous conferences that finally shaped the coming peace. But on the way, millions of more lives were still at stake as President Roosevelt was exposed to mounting evidence of the most grotesque crime in history, the Final Solution. Just as the Allies were landing in Normandy, the Nazis were accelerating the killing of European Jews. Winik shows how escalating pressures fell on Roosevelt, whose rapidly deteriorating health was a closely guarded secret. Was winning the war the best way to rescue the Jews? Was a rescue even possible? Or would it get in the way of defeating Hitler? In a year when even the most audacious undertakings were within the world's reach, including the liberation of Europe, one challenge--saving Europe's Jews--seemed to remain beyond Roosevelt's grasp.--Adapted from book jacket.
Length
  • xiii, 639 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : index, maps, chapter notes
Europe, WWII, Jews, the Allies, Nazis. A long look @ the Allies & especially the US on the Jewish Holocaust. An examination of what happened & why. Terrifying reading.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:52 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
1944 : FDR and the year that changed history / Jay Winik, 1957-, c2015, Simon & Schuster, 940.5373 WINI

Europe, WWII, Jews, the Allies, Nazis. A long look @ the Allies & especially the US on the Jewish Holocaust. An examination of what happened & why. Terrifying reading.
I second that. Excellent book. I have read earlier books about the inaction of the U.S. and the Allies regarding the Jewish Holocaust. This book is damning and puts it into context.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:28 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,185,741 times
The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright
The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson
The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker

Old 12-22-2016, 11:57 AM

Default Cotton wasn't quite king, after all

Our man in Charleston : Britain's secret agent in the Civil War South / Christopher Dickey c2015, Crown Publishers, 973.786 DICK

Notes

• An Englishman of the Americas -- Observations on the price of Negroes -- Quasi-war -- First shots -- Wicked designs -- The reign of error.
Summary
  • "Between the Confederacy and recognition by Great Britain stood one unlikely Englishman who hated the slave trade. His actions helped determine the fate of a nation. When Robert Bunch arrived in Charleston to take up the post of British consul in 1853, he was young and full of ambition, but even he couldn't have imagined the incredible role he would play in the history-making events to unfold. In an age when diplomats often were spies, Bunch's job included sending intelligence back to the British government in London. Yet as the United States threatened to erupt into Civil War, Bunch found himself plunged into a double life, settling into an amiable routine with his slavery-loving neighbors on the one hand, while working furiously to thwart their plans to achieve a new Confederacy. As secession and war approached, the Southern states found themselves in an impossible position. They knew that recognition from Great Britain would be essential to the survival of the Confederacy, and also that such recognition was likely to be withheld if the South reopened the Atlantic slave trade. But as Bunch meticulously noted from his perch in Charleston, secession's red-hot epicenter, that trade was growing. And as Southern leaders continued to dissemble publicly about their intentions, Bunch sent dispatch after secret dispatch back to the Foreign Office warning of the truth--that economic survival would force the South to import slaves from Africa in massive numbers. When the gears of war finally began to turn, and Bunch was pressed into service on an actual spy mission to make contact with the Confederate government, he found himself in the middle of a fight between the Union and Britain that threatened, in the boast of Secretary of State William Seward, to 'wrap the world in flames.' In this masterfully told story, Christopher Dickey introduces Consul Bunch as a key figure in the pitched battle between those who wished to reopen the floodgates of bondage and misery, and those who wished to dam the tide forever. Featuring a remarkable cast of diplomats, journalists, senators, and spies, Our Man in Charleston captures the intricate, intense relationship between great powers on the brink of war"-- Provided by publisher.
  • "The little-known story of a British diplomat who serves as a spy in South Carolina at the dawn of the Civil War, posing as a friend to slave-owning aristocrats when he was actually telling Britain not to support the Confederacy"-- Provided by publisher.
Length 388 pages : map, index, chapter notes, sources

An excellent book, from the UK POV. A good look @ the issues, politics, shifting political lineup on the Union, slavery, the CSA. Very readable, lots of irony all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books