Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 12:32 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,780,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Loved this book! Totally enthralling....all his books are wonderful.
Good to know. I haven't read any of his yet - just picked up Undaunted Courage at an estate sale last week. I'll add his others to my TBR list. I need to finish Wild Swans before I tackle Undaunted Courage. So many books, so little time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:11 AM

4,800 posts, read 2,802,137 times
Default Falling off the edge of the World

The last voyage of Columbus : being the epic tale of the great captain's fourth expedition, including accounts of swordfight, mutiny, shipwreck, gold, war, hurricane, and discovery / Martin Dugard, c2005, Little, Brown & Co., 970.015 Duga.

Subjects
  • Columbus, Christopher -- Travel -- America.
  • Explorers -- America -- Biography.
  • Explorers -- Spain -- Biography.
  • America -- Discovery and exploration -- Spanish.
Notes
  • In chains -- [Pt. 1] Love and hope and sex and dreams. The voyage the whole world remembers ; The passage ; Good taste ; Power ; In which Ferdinand and Isabella realize their great mistake ; The unexpected Portuguese triumph ; Mouth of the serpent ; In the shape of a woman's breast ; Bishop and pawns -- [Pt. 2] Paradise lost. The administrator ; Tears of rage ; Shipping out ; The crossing -- [Pt. 3] Adventures of a perilous and swashbuckling nature ; The unknown ; Mosquito ; Ojeda, again ; Shipworms -- [Pt. 4] War. Dark December ; Caribbean sprint ; Barely afloat -- [Pt. 5] Cast away. Columbus's new world ; Open boat ; The Porras conspiracy ; Civil war.
  • Maps on lining papers.
Length
  • 294 pages : chapter notes, select bibliography, index
Covers the downward spiral of Columbus’ position & status in Spain & the Americas. Lots of infighting, maneuvering for position & status. & the Spanish crown was not initially convinced that the discoveries of the Americas would ever payoff. Excellent reading, a glimpse of a World long gone - but that still echoes down the centuries.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Default We had to destroy the ville ...

Fordlandia: the rise and fall of Henry Ford's forgotten jungle city / Greg Grandin, 1962-, c2009, Metropolitan Books, 981 Gran.

Subjects

• Ford, Henry, -- 1863-1947 -- Political and social views.
  • Ford Motor Company -- Influence -- History -- 20th century.
  • Planned communities -- Brazil -- History -- 20th century.
  • Rubber plantations -- Brazil -- Fordlândia -- History -- 20th century.
  • Fordlândia (Brazil) -- History.
  • Brazil -- Civilization -- American influences -- History -- 20th century.
Notes

• Part I: Many things otherwise inexplicable -- Part II: Lord Ford -- Part III: Rubber Rouge.
Summary

• The stunning, never-before-told story of the quixotic attempt to recreate small-town America in the heart of the Amazon, "Fordlandia" depicts a desperate quest to salvage the bygone America that the Ford factory system did much to dispatch.
Length

• xii, 416 pages : maps, photos, chapter notes, illustration credits, index

Shedding light on Ford’s attempts to recreate – after destroying it – the bucolic pastoral scene & economy he hoped to strengthen in the US. When that failed or was blocked, he went overseas – to Brazil. Very interesting reading, Ford had an optimistic side – briefly.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Fordlandia: the rise and fall of Henry Ford's forgotten jungle city / Greg Grandin, 1962-, c2009, Metropolitan Books, 981 Gran.

[/color]Shedding light on Ford’s attempts to recreate – after destroying it – the bucolic pastoral scene & economy he hoped to strengthen in the US. When that failed or was blocked, he went overseas – to Brazil. Very interesting reading, Ford had an optimistic side – briefly.[/list]
Read this a few years back for my book club. I knew while reading it that it wasn't a good choice for the book club. Many parts of the book were very dry and overly-academic. Most of us in the book club were glad to have read it, in that we learned many things we did not know, but it wasn't a particularly easy or enjoyable/entertaining read.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 PM

Default Have you been driven lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Read this a few years back for my book club. I knew while reading it that it wasn't a good choice for the book club. Many parts of the book were very dry and overly-academic. Most of us in the book club were glad to have read it, in that we learned many things we did not know, but it wasn't a particularly easy or enjoyable/entertaining read.
Yah, I've read lots of stuff through book club that I probably wouldn't' have otherwise. Still, there's an eerie attraction to Henry Ford, the founder. He had such utopian? hopes for his method of manufacturing, & mostly it hastened & exacerbated the divide between rural & city. & he was a profoundly rural person, @ heart. Someday, I'll read a good bio on him.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Yah, I've read lots of stuff through book club that I probably wouldn't' have otherwise. Still, there's an eerie attraction to Henry Ford, the founder. He had such utopian? hopes for his method of manufacturing, & mostly it hastened & exacerbated the divide between rural & city. & he was a profoundly rural person, @ heart. Someday, I'll read a good bio on him.
There's one I've been wanting to read called, I think, Henry & Edsel. It's a bio of the father and son. I'm especially intrigued to read about Edsel.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:14 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
There's one I've been wanting to read called, I think, Henry & Edsel. It's a bio of the father and son. I'm especially intrigued to read about Edsel.
Wasn't he a lemon?

Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Wasn't he a lemon?
That's exactly why I find him so interesting. Apparently he was quite competent, but was always under the shadow of his father. And of course, most people only remember the car named for him, which was a dud.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Default An imperial saga

Quote:
That's exactly why I find him so interesting. Apparently he was quite competent, but was always under the shadow of his father. And of course, most people only remember the car named for him, which was a dud.
Edsel? Even when treated only peripherally in Fordlandia, H. Ford was a very driven man. He succeeded wildly, & disregarded experts. What he did was put people up against each other, & favored the strongest personality in the room - like Edsel & Ford's head of security - who was apparently the devil incarnate.

Lots of strange goings-on, fiefdoms established & torn apart, poor corporate control & hardly any accounting - in a rage, H. Ford disbanded the unit - for its loyalty to Edsel? The behind-the-curtains bits remind me of Dune - a story of two extended clans fighting to the death in an empire - for power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books