Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:49 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
My husband, a huge reader, disliked this book so much he never wanted to see the show. And he loves musicals. I've never seen him react that way to a book.
I am the same way. My whole family loves musicals and Wicked is two of my daughters' favorite. The book left such a sour taste, I have no interest in seeing the musical.

I am not sure I had ever before or since not finished a book. I always want to give them a chance. I am certain I never tossed one in the trash part way through. Although I did toss DaVinci Code in the trash after I finished it. That is another really awful book.

The books that I dislike the most are those that are predictable. The second greatest horror in a book is soap boxy/preachy, especially when they try to hide it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 11:48 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
This is a book that tells you a lot about the times when it was written and people's perceptions of the new world. Europeans came to the Americas with this book in hand expecting it to serve as a tourist guide. The endless detailed descriptions of the land were there for people who had never seen anything like this. An entire new word was being discovered and this was a first hand description of what it was like (with an amusing, hokey story woven in as well). If you understand that and read it as a description of the new world for Europeans rather than expecting it to be a suspense thriller, you may see it differently.

Interesting idea. I haven't seen this in the Deerslayer, but then I can never make it to where they get off the lake, if they ever do, so maybe this stuff comes later .I get around the point the slow witted girl turns herself in to the Indians and it all gets like watching grass grow . Is it the LOTM that is different and has these descriptions ? I like that type of stuff. I enjoy Auels books more for the description of the land and how people lived their lives than the plot of Ayla Superwoman . The Valley of the Horses excels at this .

Old 01-20-2017, 05:34 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohmixer View Post
"The Girl on the Train" Paula Hawkins I didn't enjoy it and don't know how it got on the bestseller list. Probably B&N pushing this crap.
I was also surprised that it ended up on the bestseller list. The characters were so unlikable. Another huge disappointment: Gone Girl, for the same reason.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:04 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,335,141 times
Possession by A.S Byatt,this really was the perfect book for me ,full of things I truly love myth and folklore,research,mysteries,Victoriana,romantic love letters but it was so weighed down by references and terminology in between the good bits, that it lacked a beautiful flow.I felt she tried too hard to make it clever that it lost it's natural flow.

Still I am reading it now again just for the love letters.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:12 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
"Naked Lunch" by William Burroughs. Disgusting and nonsensical. Like a bad LSD trip. But I thought the part about the guy with the talking ****hole was pretty funny.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:05 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,767 times
Anna Hastings by Allen Drury. This was the very first book that I just couldn't bring myself to finish reading. It was very hyped at the time is was published, but I found the story dry and quite boring.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Anne Rice's Vampire books. Everyone I knew was lapping them up during the '80s and '90s. I finally read the first volume in 1991, but could not get past page 60. Over the years, I came to realize I don't like anyone's vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter books or shows. Just not my category.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:21 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,253,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Anne Rice's Vampire books. Everyone I knew was lapping them up during the '80s and '90s. I finally read the first volume in 1991, but could not get past page 60. Over the years, I came to realize I don't like anyone's vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter books or shows. Just not my category.
Yeah--I agree with this. I've had people give me her books, saying you have to read it, and I just can't get into them. Though I did like the movie Interview With a Vampire a lot.

Also attempted "My Life as a Geisha" several times without success.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:44 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
I tried to read Lord of the Rings and couldn't hack it. I've never watched the movies either, but assumed it would be good.

I don't know the name of the worst book, but it was horrible. I picked it up as an adult book at my child's book fair. It was supposed to be some cheap, easy reading. The little blurb that gets you interested in the book was a lie. The dad, daughter and one son get killed by the daughter's ex-boyfriend. It then went to the mom's life afterwards. It creeped me out. A kid at my junior high killed his mom, brother, and little sister when I was growing up. That's all I could think of when I read the book. I threw the book away so it wouldn't get recycled.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I tried to read Lord of the Rings and couldn't hack it.
I can't count the number of times I tried to read The Hobbit and the first book in Lord of the Rings. Neither one could pierce the book-brain barrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books