Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2023, 03:00 AM

5,827 posts, read 2,948,440 times

Advertisements

Howdy. I need help finding books in a specific range.

I like books that take place in 60s-90s, USA. Has to be on a dark side.

I just went through few Paul Auster books. Before that, John Fante, Palahniuk, Raymond Chandler, James Cain.

Something Hunter S type material would be interesting. Has to be an interesting story, a journey. Nothing sadistic or political.

Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2023, 08:46 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_a...g_in_Las_Vegas

Perhaps also Post Office by Charles Bukowski.

Last edited by Iconographer; 12-15-2023 at 08:56 AM..

Old 12-15-2023, 03:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
I think I have just the book for you! Citizen Vince by Jess Walter. I loved it - gritty, a bit funny and just a really well told story!

Here is the Amazon blurb:
It’s the fall of 1980, the last week before the presidential election that pits the downtrodden Jimmy Carter against the suspiciously sunny Ronald Reagan. In a seedy suburban house in Spokane, a small-time crook formerly from New York, Vince Camden, pockets his weekly allotment of stolen credit cards and heads off to his witness-protection job at a donut shop. A the shop he takes a shine to a regular named Kelly, who works for a local politician. Somehow he finds himself and the politician in a parking lot at three in the morning, giving the slip to a couple of menacing thugs. And then he crosses the path of a young detective―and discovers his credit-scam partner, lying dead in his passport-photo office with a Cheerio-size bullet-hole in his head. No one writing crime novels today tells a story or sketches a character with more freshness or elan than Jess Walter. Citizen Vince is his funniest and grittiest book yet.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas comes to mind.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_a...g_in_Las_Vegas

Perhaps also Post Office by Charles Bukowski.
Done a while, go. Thanks.

Old 12-16-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I think I have just the book for you! Citizen Vince by Jess Walter. I loved it - gritty, a bit funny and just a really well told story!

Here is the Amazon blurb:
It’s the fall of 1980, the last week before the presidential election that pits the downtrodden Jimmy Carter against the suspiciously sunny Ronald Reagan. In a seedy suburban house in Spokane, a small-time crook formerly from New York, Vince Camden, pockets his weekly allotment of stolen credit cards and heads off to his witness-protection job at a donut shop. A the shop he takes a shine to a regular named Kelly, who works for a local politician. Somehow he finds himself and the politician in a parking lot at three in the morning, giving the slip to a couple of menacing thugs. And then he crosses the path of a young detective―and discovers his credit-scam partner, lying dead in his passport-photo office with a Cheerio-size bullet-hole in his head. No one writing crime novels today tells a story or sketches a character with more freshness or elan than Jess Walter. Citizen Vince is his funniest and grittiest book yet.
I’ll check it out. Th k you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books