Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:13 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,821 times

Advertisements

O.k I saw the movie I so longed for last night. Twilight, IMO could have been so much better. Not one character came to life. No relationship between characters made much sense. I do have to say because I read the book and understand the characters I loved watching it come to life on the screen, but for those who have not read the book, I dont know if they would understand the depth of Edwards and Bella's relationship. I loved the effects and the sound track also but, I dont know, things were just missing and the acting was a little cheesey. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
I see what you are saying, I really do but you have to remember it is REALLY difficult to condense a book into an hour and a half movie. What do you think they could have taken out to add to the character development? They could maybe have shortened some things in the beginning, but like five minutes worth.

I think that they got the character. Personally for me, I wanted more between Edward and Bella but I remember feeling that way while reading the book. Two kisses were just not enough for me , but OMG that first kiss was amazing, they got that right that is for sure!

I do feel strongly that you are not going to like the movie at all unless you have read and liked the book. You do have to have some sort of connection with the characters already and boy did I have it, but honestly I don't see how they could have done it much different.

Boy is Robert Pattinson perfect for that character though. I don't necessarily think he is the hottest guy around but he is HOT as a vampire and I think the casting for him was great.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,340,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I do feel strongly that you are not going to like the movie at all unless you have read and liked the book. You do have to have some sort of connection with the characters already and boy did I have it, but honestly I don't see how they could have done it much different.
no offense, but IMHO, I think it was stupid to do this, to alienate people who may not have read the book. I've gone to see several Harry Potter movies w/ people who didn't read the books and they enjoyed the movies. I saw the first LOTR movie w/o having read the books also. lots of people see a movie before having seen the book and the movie director should have tried to accommodate the folks who haven't had a chance to read the book and have months/years to fall in love with it

I know there's a large, built in fan base for the movie (though not large enough to alienate non book readers), but a movie should stand alone and shouldn't be a cinematic companion piece to the book. it's bad movie making, IMO (I've seen a lot of reviews of the movie more or less state the same thing)

Old 11-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Good point but I think it would be very difficult to portray the essence of Edward in an hour and a half. I mean think about it, 2/3 of the book was Bella and Edward getting to know each other. The hunt and fight wasn't most of the book.

Harry Potter and LOTR were totally different type stories. Those movies were more about the plot and story where Twilight is more about just Edward and Bella, not much to the plot or story other than the romance factor, if you can understand what I am saying.

That is why this movie is just going to appeal to the one audience - young adults. It really isn't geared toward everyone anyway. No they aren't going to break any records but they'll make money especially because that audience will go see it over and over and over again .

I just think that sometimes people expect way to much out of some movies. There is no way they can ever get all the detail that the book does and I never even for a second thought that it would compare to the Harry Potter or LOTR. The books, while I loved Twilight, doesn't compare either and I don't think it would be fair to compare the movies either.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,821 times
I dont think they should have taken anything out. Why couldnt they just make a longer movie like they did with Titanic? Great love story! Twilight had the potential to beat it but failed IMO. I would still buy the dvd though because I so love the characters and of course it is still my favriot love story.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Harry Potter and LOTR were totally different type stories. Those movies were more about the plot and story where Twilight is more about just Edward and Bella, not much to the plot or story other than the romance factor, if you can understand what I am saying.
good point. I think maybe the director tried to pull it into too many directions (I'm not sure, I haven't seen the movie, just basing my opinions on the book and reviews). a pure romance can take the time to build up the relationship. the book, despite the vamps, is really a romance novel, but it sounds like they were trying to turn the movie into an action flick or epic fantasy or something. I guess that's one reason why I wasn't thrilled about the book; I'm not a fan of romance novels (I tolerate Nicholas Sparks), and this book is a romance disguised (and marketed as) as a fantasy book. not saying the two can't mesh nicely, but they don't in Twilight (for example, you don't get much vampire lore, and the main conflict, as you said, is in the latter third of the book)

I think Titanic was some kind of national anomaly that will never be replicated . I don't think people (at least in this country) have that sort of an attention span any more, not unless something is blowing up constantly! I think in the decade+ since Titanic came out, reality TV has ruined our attention span! I liked the movie when it came out and even now I can't sit through the whole thing!

Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM

Also, don't forget that this movie had a pretty low budget by hollywood standards so it isn't like they probably got the best director or the best special effects or the best of anything. I am sure it would have been better if Steven Speilburg was directing but the movie is what it is and I wasn't disappointed, but of course I wasn't expecting it to be a blockbuster either.

Oh, and it definately was more about the romance than fantasy, IMO. It was definately NOT an action movie at least by my definition!

Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 AM

10 posts, read 22,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
no offense, but IMHO, I think it was stupid to do this, to alienate people who may not have read the book. I've gone to see several Harry Potter movies w/ people who didn't read the books and they enjoyed the movies. I saw the first LOTR movie w/o having read the books also. lots of people see a movie before having seen the book and the movie director should have tried to accommodate the folks who haven't had a chance to read the book and have months/years to fall in love with it

I know there's a large, built in fan base for the movie (though not large enough to alienate non book readers), but a movie should stand alone and shouldn't be a cinematic companion piece to the book. it's bad movie making, IMO (I've seen a lot of reviews of the movie more or less state the same thing)
Harry Potter is different from Twilight. When she wrote the book she was describing Edward and Bella, She was letting you know about the characters. You would really have to read the book to really appreciate the movie. It's hard to capture twilight in 2 hours.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rih&CBluver4lyfe View Post
Harry Potter is different from Twilight. When she wrote the book she was describing Edward and Bella, She was letting you know about the characters. You would really have to read the book to really appreciate the movie. It's hard to capture twilight in 2 hours.
my point was that you alienate people who haven't read the book when you gear it only towards people who have read the books. the movie just sounds like an add on to the book, not a complete movie onto itself. obviously, it did well opening weekend, but that's just bad movie making all around, IMO (I suppose it could work for something w/ a massive, diverse fan base and had many years to accumulate that fan base, like a X-Files or Star Trek movie, but Twilight has had neither, at least not on a scale where they can make movies that only cater to fans)

Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,473 times
I have read the books (love them) and went to see the movie with a friend that has not read the books. Both of us really liked the movie! I think the movie convinced her to start reading to learn more about the characters. There is no way a movie can compare to reading the book. Especially one like Twilight where the character development is crucial to understanding the devotion between Edward and Bella. I do feel they could have made the movie a little longer because there are some moments in the book I would have liked to have seen on screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books