Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times

Advertisements

I suspect that this is something seldom done. I don't think I've ever done it, that I can recall. What is it like to read a book after you have seen the movie?

I do remember that the movie "Out of Africa" came out while I was in the process of reading it aloud to my 7-year-old son. We went to see the picture in the middle of reading the book. When we went back to reading, he asked me to skip the sad parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Yes, read The English Patient after seeing the movie. The book has a lyrical quality. The movie has striking imagery. They were different, but each had strengths and weaknesses.

I've read many biographies after seeing movies, and they are usually strikingly different. I was familiar with Isak Dinesen before Out of Africa came out, so it was interesting that the romance was so much a focal point of the movie, because I'd always felt from her books and interviews and so on that her love affair was with Africa the place.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:29 AM

648 posts, read 1,641,971 times
Yes, the notebook!! Ahh I hated the book.

However, PS I love you- The book was much better.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I suspect that this is something seldom done. I don't think I've ever done it, that I can recall. What is it like to read a book after you have seen the movie?

I do remember that the movie "Out of Africa" came out while I was in the process of reading it aloud to my 7-year-old son. We went to see the picture in the middle of reading the book. When we went back to reading, he asked me to skip the sad parts.
Can't speak (type) for anyone else, but I just posted in another thread about three books I read after seeing the movies. LOTR, Chronicles of Narnia and What Dreams may come. Forgot until this minute that it was the same with the Harry Potter books - saw the first movie before I ever started buying the books. There are others that I'm not sure which came first for me, movie or book.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
yes the secret life of bees I saw the movie and then bought and read the book . awesome both of them I mean dakota fanning , queen latifa , aleisha keys , all the actors and actresses in that movie were cast perfectly for the parts and the movie was awesome and so was the book . there were parts in the book that were not in the movie which is par for the course . but yeah this was the first time I had ever done this watch the movie before reading the book .

Old 07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
I may have read 'Under the Tuscan Sun' after seeing the film. At any rate I enjoyed both.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
May people will tell you to read the book before watching a movie.

This is mis-guided advice. You will like the book (if it is the type of book you are in to) and hate the movie (not totally, but disappointed) for not living up to the book. How could it?!

So to answer you question, I always read the books after watching the movie if possible (all Micheal Crichton movies/books, LOTRs, unfortuately not Harry Potter). I also recommend it to anyone else, the best order is movie, then book, you will like them both.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,404,836 times
Several...Thorn Birds..not sure if "I,Claudius" counts as a movie.. Shogun.. and then all the rest of James Clavell's books

Old 07-22-2009, 11:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I saw "Less Than Zero" and then read the book. I remember the movie. I don't remember the book. I saw "Duel" and then read the short story. I liked the movie, better.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
WalterK
I see your point, but often the movie does not even exist before the book; I'm not about to wait around for a studio to obtain rights,let alone put together a film.

After I saw This Boy's Life and realized it was a true story, I felt compelled to read Tobias Wolff's book, which was, like the book, both heartrending and fascinating.
"It was 1957. We were driving from Florida to Utah. After my mother was beaten up by her boyfriend, we got in the Nash and high-tailed it for the uranium fields. We were gonna get rich and change our luck, which hadn't been so hot since our family broke up five years back."

I am pretty sure I read The Green Mile *after* seeing the movie.
I enjoyed both, though they were emotionally tough on me.

DC at the Ridge, you are one of the few people I've heard of who did not dump on the movie version of The English Patient. It's almost become de rigueur to show tremendous disdain for that movie (perhaps the Seinfeld influence). I read the book and disliked the stream-of-consciousness style, but actually loved how the film was done. But I always felt very alone with my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books