Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times

Advertisements

The Road
The Time Traveler's Wife
Fahrenheit 451
Lovely Bones
Song of Ice and Fire Series
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
The Road
The Time Traveler's Wife
Fahrenheit 451
Lovely Bones
Song of Ice and Fire Series
loved The Road!

Didn't read Song of Ice and Fire

The other three, I'm with you!

Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,174 times
I did not like "The Time Traveller's Wife" but I would not consider it a bad book.

As a previous post I started to enjoy "Life of Pi" halfway through.

Even thought I quite liked that "The kite runner", I do agree it was a topic used a lot.

A book that I really found awful was "Rococò" By Adriana Trigiani. Somebody gave it to me because I am Italian and therefore....I should enjoy it? It was a struggle not to throw it away before finishing it.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:20 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
I've read some real stinkers at "Book Club"

"The Shack" WTF?????????????????

"The Lovely Bones" - crap

"Twilight" - why this series is so popular is completely beyond me. I read the first one and have absolutely no inclination to waste my time with the other ones.

One writer that I have mixed views on is John Grisham. "The Firm" and "The Pelican Brief" were, I thought, really well written and well paced thrillers that I enjoyed a lot.

Everything he has written since he became better known has been, in my opinion, rubbish. Sorry John.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:24 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,485 times
I disliked The Lovely Bones, too! And now they're making a movie out of it. Typical. Movie looks bad, too.

I couldn't get into the Time Traveler's Wife

Ditto about Potato Peelers Society (shortened name)

Oh I thought the Godfather was a good read back then!

Old 09-15-2009, 07:34 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I have started using the net for that, and some of these reviews have been great essays in their own right.

I have four acquaintances whose opinions on books I listen too with rapt attention. Whatever else they may be they are reading bottom-feeders.

I know what you mean.................

I have a friend who will happily read the crappiest pile of tripe - I avoid anything she recommends - the first (and last) book I read at her suggestion was "The Shack" - uuugh I really should have known better.........

One of my best sources for good books is my mum - we have slightly diverse tastes and interests yet always enjoy the books we swap with each other

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
"Time Travelers Wife" was a book that is impossible to write, because of the inherent contradictions in the concept that time can travel in any other direction than forward. Or that two events can be both simultaneous and not simultaneous. Coupled with the fact that a huge number of its readers have had no experience with grappling with such logical dichotomies.

Nevertheless, I think she pulled it off, and made it an entertaining read that did not beat one over the head with bloody stumps of logical thought.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:15 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,850 times
I was really looking forward to "Cutting for Stone" by Abraham Verghese. I had enjoyed two of his other books, "The Tennis Partner" and "My Own Country". This was his first non-fiction that I'm aware of and I was sorely disappointed. The beginning was a captivating story of a nun in a mission hospital in Ethiopia who gives birth to twins fathered by a talented surgeon. It all went slowly and painfully down hill from there until it culminated in a total mess with lost story lines and forced endings.

For me a "bad book" is often a worse book if I was really anticipating reading it and it turns out to be a disappointment.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:05 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Anything by Paul Coelho, and at the other end of the pole, Ayn Rand - pretentious fairytales for expounding her philosophy of personal fascism....zzzzz zzzzz zzzzzzzzz
Paul Coelho eeewww! Gets way to much attention for really nothing books that pretend to be of some great spiritual significance.

And how about the ever best-selling Mary Higgins Clark.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,011 times
Yep, "The Lovely Bones" is crap, which they are now going to make into a movie--will skip that one. That book got a huge amount of positive publicity when it came out. Not the first time I have been sucked into buying a book because so many folks were writing great things about it. Now I am more careful to know who is doing the reviews. Maybe some writers have friends (old sorority sisters?) in the publishing industry and get an undeserved leg up.

That's my rant. David Glen Gold is the husband of Alice Sebold (author of Lovely Bones). David Glen Gold is a terrific author--historical fiction. I highly recommend "Carter Beats the Devil". He has a new book out "Sunnyside" which I will be looking for. Check the opinions of reviewers you respect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books