Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:15 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,302,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Dating myself, but the first book I can remember reading that I thought was a dog that seemingly everyone else raved about--Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. I thought it was horrible.

The Bridges of Madison County
The Lord of the Rings books.

Senior moment here--the guy who wrote those books that got the Catholic church fired up...the mysteries...well, for me mystery, singular, as I only read the first one and didn't care for it. (...and no, I'm not Catholic.)

As someone said earlier, after 50 years of reading it is essentially subjective. I've read many books that I recognized were complete garbage, the talent thin, but the book was thoroughly enjoyable. (Books I call "my guilty pleasures".) On the other hand, I've read books that were obviously brilliant, deep, etc., but that bored me to death. Much of it also depends upon the mood I'm in at the time.
Yes, it depends on my mood too. I agree, some "trashy" books are enjoyable if that's what you're in the mood for

Were you talking about the Phillip Pullman trilogy? "Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass"? (first one filmed as The Golden Compass") - I loved those books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 10,008 times
Anything by Ayn Rand is terrible.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:20 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,430 times
Can we switch to good books for a sec? I am almost finished with my current read, and I want a recommendation. I love fictionalized historical novels. I liked the John Jakes, for example and the rags to riches type. Any new ones out there you can suggest to fit my need?

Old 09-20-2009, 09:30 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Don't think it was Kienzle...they are relatively new---movies were made from the books starring Tom Hanks...

Maybe I'll try Lord of the Rings again...for the third time...I've noticed as I age that some books I once thought were good I now think are bad, and vice-versa.
Okay, so you are thinking of Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, DaVinci Code and the newest (title just ran right out of my mind!) Try The Hobbit before tackling LOTR. Has two of the same characters and gives you kind of an overview of Middle Earth, which then puts LOTR and Frodo's quest into some sort of perspective. (The Hobbit is also a much shorter book - 300 pages vs nearly 1,000 pages.)

Old 09-20-2009, 09:35 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,751,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
Yes, it depends on my mood too. I agree, some "trashy" books are enjoyable if that's what you're in the mood for

Were you talking about the Phillip Pullman trilogy? "Northern Lights", "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass"? (first one filmed as The Golden Compass") - I loved those books
I didn't even think of those because it wasn't so much the Catholic Church that regaled against them as the Fundamentalists who claimed they were 'anti-Christianity'. I found them not to be so much 'anti-Christianity' as 'anti-theocracy'. I also love those books - they are another part of my collection that gets reread from time to time.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,186,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Okay, so you are thinking of Dan Brown - Angels and Demons, DaVinci Code and the newest (title just ran right out of my mind!) Try The Hobbit before tackling LOTR. Has two of the same characters and gives you kind of an overview of Middle Earth, which then puts LOTR and Frodo's quest into some sort of perspective. (The Hobbit is also a much shorter book - 300 pages vs nearly 1,000 pages.)
Bingo! That's the guy and books! (Told you--senior moment...I was thinking Dan Brown was the guy who wrote "Flight of the Old Dog"...airplane/war books...)

Read the DaVinci Code, didn't think it was good.

Read the Hobbit years ago...may have to re-read to get the right frame of mind for LOR.

Thank you!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Yeah, the Dan Brown books were seriously over-hyped.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:25 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,376,345 times
As far as overly long books, I've been trying to plod through Clinton's book for some time now. I keep it in the car so that if I am ever without a book I have something to read. The subject matter is interesting but didn't he have an editor???? Way too much detail!

Old 09-26-2009, 09:55 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, the Dan Brown books were seriously over-hyped.
They're entertaining and quick reads, I'll give them that, but they're not very *good* books.

Old 09-26-2009, 11:38 PM

321 posts, read 853,550 times
I couldn't stand the Da Vinci Code but his other book Deception Point was interesting and a vastly different novel - a thriller that takes place in the arctic. I managed to plow through the Da Vinci Code (couldn't understand all the hype about the book because IMO it wasn't that good and so I never tried Angels and Demons) but Deception Point was a fairly decent reading experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books