Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:05 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,453 times

Advertisements

Ramen is $0.17 a pack (not bought in bulk)

Buy a big case of this as backup food. Theres alot you can do with it too... dont have to just use the seasoning package... look online for other options.

now.. including beer in your grocery budget makes it a bit tighter... but You should be able to get a 6 pack a week

Me and my girlfriend budget between us about 300... but we do go out about once a week and buy lunch at work half the time. 100 a week for one person is def doable... just watch out when you go to a bar or resturant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Shaws/Star Market. Expensive. Don't know why, this is not a high-end store. Shaws is also expensive in Maine, which is kind of funny since Maine is a poor state.

Aldi. Didn't know they had those out here. Cheap? Yes! Questionable food items? Yes! Personally, I would stay away from discount food stores.

Whole Foods. Everyone and their grandmother says that WF is stupid expensive. However, compared to the prices of other basic grocery stores around town, they really are not that different in pricing, and ironically, are even cheaper with some products.

Trader Joe's. Cheap, and good. Higher quality food for a lower price. You can probably go as low as $5 a day shopping here.

Bacon. I only buy bacon from Trader Joe's. It's under $3.

Sam Adams. To the above poster, sorry, but Sam Adams is not 'snobby beer'. Perhaps 15 years ago it was, but now it is considered kind of run-of-the-mill. Beer snobs these days are really into Lambics, Saisons, and barely wines.

I find it interesting, though, that Sam Adams is kind of expensive for being brewed locally. In some stores it is even marked higher than better microbrews. Ironically, it is cheaper in the Midwest and California.

I'd rather spend my money on Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA or Harpoon, but that's just me. Pabst is always cheap. A six pack of Budweiser tall boys is not that expensive, and six 16-ounce beers equals eight 12-ounce beers.

Trader Joe's brand beer is not that bad and like $5.99 a six pack. They also sell Simpler Times Lager and Pilsner six packs for $3.99 (word of advice, make sure to drink it cold as the taste becomes grosser the warmer it gets), and Red Oval for $2.99 a six pack (basically, tastes like Bud Lite. Avoid). And if you are going to be at TJs, you might as well pick up a few bottles of Three-buck Chuck.

But, over all, you should be able to eat really good for $98 a week.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:17 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
Avoid eating out, avoid fast food... you'll do fine.
Except where you find deals. Go to the Bombay Cafe on Mass Ave and have all you can eat for 5.99.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston