Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
Did they really remodel it? I know they renamed it but last time I was there, which goes back about 8 years, it still didn't look like the TV set inside. I thought that's why they built the one at Quincy Market. But it wouldn't surprise me that they remodeled Beacon St too.

I'd go to Legal too, unless you're coming in to town for more than just a very short layover.
I just heard that. Although I do recall seeing a lot of construction stuff in front of it for quite a while. Googling about, I actually don't see any indication that the interior was remodeled, so I think I'll official retract my statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I just heard that. Although I do recall seeing a lot of construction stuff in front of it for quite a while. Googling about, I actually don't see any indication that the interior was remodeled, so I think I'll official retract my statement.
Hmmm. I'm curious but I can't say I'm curious enough to go there!

Next time I'm passing by I'll stick my head in and check.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Is it still there?

I remember going into The Bull & Finch in the late 60s, early 70s. I guess the drinking age back then was still 18 (can anyone confirm this?) since I was only 17 when I entered college, and this was while I was a student. AFAIK only the exterior was used for Cheers, since it didn't look anything like the bar on the TV series. It was just a bar, although a nice one, but nothing to write home about.

Legal Sea Foods? You guys are making me homesick. I use to go to the first one when it opened in Cambridge. I think it burned down. My aging memory is a little fuzzy. Also, if you live in Florida long enough, your IQ begins to drop. Maybe it's from the sun melting my brain.
http://bestsmileys.com/clueless/6.gif (broken link)

Is "No Name" still around? People would stand in lines for hours to get into that place.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:26 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
I don't know why you would want to waste your time, money, and potentially miss your flight just to rush to see Cheers. I guaranty when you get there, you will think This is it? WTF?

Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Is it still there?

I remember going into The Bull & Finch in the late 60s, early 70s. I guess the drinking age back then was still 18 (can anyone confirm this?) since I was only 17 when I entered college, and this was while I was a student. AFAIK only the exterior was used for Cheers, since it didn't look anything like the bar on the TV series. It was just a bar, although a nice one, but nothing to write home about.

Is "No Name" still around? People would stand in lines for hours to get into that place.
Yes, the drinking age was 18 back in the early 70's.

Yes, the "No Name" is still there. No more lines anymore.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Legal Sea Foods? You guys are making me homesick. I use to go to the first one when it opened in Cambridge. I think it burned down. My aging memory is a little fuzzy. Also, if you live in Florida long enough, your IQ begins to drop. Maybe it's from the sun melting my brain.
Your memory is just fine. The original Legal Sea Foods burnt down the same night that the new fancier one opened up... just a coincidence? Most people didn't think so.

My family used to go to that first one in Inman Square. It was near Rosie's Bakery. I used to order the triple lobster special for ~$20. We also used to go to Jimmy's Harborside when my grandparents came into town.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM

176 posts, read 522,742 times
Default why would you want to?

the cheers bar is a dump

might be a sentimental gesture but afraid you will be disappointed

Old 09-20-2010, 04:46 PM

9 posts, read 17,787 times
We are there a week from Saturday, October 2nd. Our flight lands at 1:06 pm and next flight takes off at 4:30 pm. Hubby really wants to at least see Cheers, just from a completely silly, touristy standpoint. We are planning another Massachusetts trip, a summer or two from now, where we can really enjoy Boston and Cape Cod and surrounds. Thanks for all of your help, everyone!!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 PM

283 posts, read 990,381 times
Seeing it is Saturday and the traffic won't be as bad as weekdays, hiring a cab is your only option in that timeframe. Even then you won't even have time to down a beer there. It's no big deal, really.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:30 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
If you really want to go maybe the water taxi at logan would work for you to avoid tunnel traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston